PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   stealth roaming? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132320)

supasanch24 08-25-2010 08:49 PM

stealth roaming?

This weekend I was camping way up north in Wisconsin. I was hoping that if I flashed different radios it would improve my signal enough not to roam. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to make much difference which radio I used. Is there any cab or program that would allow you to be roaming and the big cheeses at Sprint wouldn't know it?

machineking369 08-25-2010 08:51 PM

Re: stealth roaming?

Quote:

Originally Posted by supasanch24 (Post 1923977)
This weekend I was camping way up north in Wisconsin. I was hoping that if I flashed different radios it would improve my signal enough not to roam. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to make much difference which radio I used. Is there any cab or program that would allow you to be roaming and the big cheeses at Sprint wouldn't know it?

if you have one of their everything plans i don't think they charge extra for roaming. I don't know of any program though.

slochild 08-25-2010 11:12 PM

Sorry, but no. Your cellular number, esn, etc. is what identifies you as local or roaming. Even if you change the sid/nid to what would be local for the area, the carrier knows your not one of their customers and use look-up tables to identify who your carrier is. Ya just can't fool them without cloning, and that's highly illegal.

pringlet 08-25-2010 11:17 PM

From my experience if you change your PRL to that of another network, your phone will report roaming differently. For example this past weekend I was completely out of Sprint coverage so I loaded up a Verizon PRL, 65144. The status on the phone changed from Roaming to Preferred System (or something like that) and additionally my signal went from 1x Roaming to EVDO. I was able to open an EVDO data connection and use it for a few hours. Bandwidth test on mobilespeed test showed about 800kbps. Not great but far better than 1x. The next day, however, my phone would repeatedly close the data connection after only short periods of use. From what I've heard is that Sprint only has 1X data roaming agreements with Verizon and Altel. Looking at my usage on the Sprint site, everything was logged as roaming.

pt

jstn76rs 08-26-2010 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This cab works for me when I get in a bad signal area...

boredandtattooed 08-26-2010 01:39 PM

Sprint has free roaming on Most of their plans... however if you use too many Voice minutes or more than 300mb of data while roaming-Sprint has the right to kick you off Sprint for good, ending your contract, its in your user-agreement..

People commonly use these roaming limits as excuses to get out of contract for Free by going over intentionally and getting the boot.. - not a bad idea for those wanting to leave, if you ask me lol

quick99si 08-27-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1924667)
Sprint has free roaming on Most of their plans... however if you use too many Voice minutes or more than 300mb of data while roaming-Sprint has the right to kick you off Sprint for good, ending your contract, its in your user-agreement..

People commonly use these roaming limits as excuses to get out of contract for Free by going over intentionally and getting the boot.. - not a bad idea for those wanting to leave, if you ask me lol

Yeah, I've heard the same... I've always wondered what happens to their phone number when they get terminated.

Wesley762 08-27-2010 07:23 PM

People still don't have free roaming on there plans? Sounds like its time to upgrade the plan.