PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

laymanspc is keeping up the good worklaymanspc is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
U.S. Cellular TP2 customers.

I, just like many other people have gotten the Touch Pro2 on their 4-day Black Friday sale. A phone that can be found from certain suppliers on the net for as high as $700 for FREE?!? Who could turn that down, right? Great phones and in places like North Central WV where they own virtually all the towers, the service cannot be beat. AT&T gets sketchy off the interstates, the "can you hear me now" Verizon network is non-existant in WV, and Sprint works well, but in this area the national packages that work well, cost a King's ransom.

In all my searches at PPCG and XDA, it was very difficult to determine exactly what modifications would and would not work on our TP2s as they are the first released with WinMo 6.5 (excluding the possible custom ROMs that may have been out sooner, not sure of any exact release dates on such things). I thought it might be of some advantage of to begin a thread for U.S. Cellular customers to list the modifications they have found helpful for them. I have been through a slew of addons and modifications, many work, some do not. What I have came across, I've saved and catagorized them as working or not. Even if something worked, but had undesired effects, I classified it as "not working" but didn't document anything so if I can remember the issue, I will include it.

I'll start with what is on my phone currently and working fine, I didn't document any links at the time I was grabbing stuff, but a search should turn it up as virtually all came from PPCG. I'll include links for what I do have handy.

Many of the addons and mods were fairly typical. Unbranding/brand masking, interface colors, some functionality addons and customizations.

Primary Theme is Dusk by Pegasus (all the files noted here are in this thread)
Also using from that page, many Dusk addons including:
-Dialer V4 (V3 had the same issues as another user had posted about, and he had it fixed and updated to V4 the next day (even though the uninstaller still says V3, VERY good job on the quick fix))
-Pegasus Invisible Background - Makes the flip tabs of the clock invisible.
-PPC Visuals Disk WMP Fixed - Nice Windows Media skin that matches the rest.

This stuff is from other threads.
-TSOTASKBAR3v1.5_WM6.5_version - adds some color to the top taskbar icons to make them more recognizable at a glance.
-ManilaClockFlipFix came from XDA at this thread, I used the 2.1 cab and it worked like a charm to disable the 1:02 clock flip animation everytime the home/today screen refreshes.

Some functionality addons
-AssassinsLament Wifi Sharing v1.1.1.2(Slot4) - adds a wifi router app to the phone,, works like a charm.
-I did the registry edit for camera modes, but I've seen that mod offered as a cab too. All enabled functions operate flawlessly except the 30 burst routine. You must touch the onscreen shutter button and hold it at least a second to start the burst routine, then the preview comes up with a translucent green overlay on the image, but the stored files are flawless. I assume it is a glitch resulting from data still being written at the time the first preview is read.
-Also did the 'in call recording' registry edit as my state doesn't have two party notification laws. I've seen that available as a cab file as well. Works flawlessly, just choose 'Menu' from the bottom during a call, and choose record. It saves the audio with 'Notes'.
-I use PHM Regedit for registry editing. Works great and there are literally hundreds of sources. A simple search will turn it up for you.
-TP2-Batt 1% is a 1% increment battery driver,, requires a taskbar that supports it. TSOTASKBAR works with it fine (as well as the default DUSK theme I beleive).

Well, more to come later, out of time at the moment. I'll edit and include links for some of the missing ones later.

Take care all!

Last edited by laymanspc; 12-17-2009 at 12:33 AM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel
Re: U.S. Cellular TP2 customers.

um... not to be a stick in the mud, but rather to help you out, most of the 6.5 mods work on the usc tp2. I've not run into anything that didn't work, you just need to understand that if you are running the stock 6.5 rom, there are obviously somethings that are different then from running a mighty 6.5 rom for example.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Not taken as a stick in the mud as ya put it,, no offense at all,, I enjoy all input,, nothing but respect and appriciation.

I've found many of the themes and addons haven't worked with my phone. Even those supposedly for 6.5, but I've found many that have as well. There is such an overwhelming number of sprint and verizon customers, coupled with the fact that the ones with 6.5 are mostly (if not all) modded ROMs (at least to my noob understanding), I thought it might be nice for the few USCC customers seeking such info to find a start in a dedicated thread same as many other threads as to what works with what version of this or that. Much of the info is Sprint and Verizon related, both shipped their TP2s with 6.1 months ago, and USCC finally very recently released theirs and it was the first stock TP2 ROM with 6.5 from the info I've read. Stuff that is simply stated as being winmo6.5 manila2.1 compatible doesn't always work with this phone, many taskbars and themes break things or cause crashes within the OS requiring a hard reset. Considering the USCC TP2 was just released, and they gave thousands away for free, I think there will likely be an increase of interest. I started messing with such things from day one and just today made it to the point of wanting more info specific to my carrier and their ROM. Figured if anyone else chimed in with any info to add, the thread may live a while. Most folk who just got the phones on the 4 day free phone sale likely are still happily using the phone in a stock state. Is why I planned on updating the thread a few times as I don't have time to set down and enter all I've tested as working or not up to this point, all in one setting. Those updates should keep it alive a little while to see if it does generate any interest. If I'm mistaken that their giving craploads of these things away doesn't generate more USCC customers seeking specific USCC info, then sobeit, the thread will pass by the wayside.

Thanks for the input and bump.

Last edited by laymanspc; 12-17-2009 at 04:03 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6875
Carrier: uscc

dude420420 is just getting started

In regards to the tsowens taskbar did you have the sim card notification appear? I am on USCC with a tp2 and cant see to get rid of the icon.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude420420 View Post
In regards to the tsowens taskbar did you have the sim card notification appear? I am on USCC with a tp2 and cant see to get rid of the icon.
Indeed I do, I've not really considered it a bug due to the fact we have no SIM cards. But it had caught my attention. I've been keeping my eye open for something on possiblly disabling the sim status in the registry. As a last resort I'd ask on his thread and see if it would be difficult for a build with that removed.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: US Cellular

metaltech is a n00b

If you have any old phones laying around that used sim cards..put it in your tp2 and it will get rid of the no-sim icon. i found an old nextel phone i had from about 7 years ago and popped it's sim card into my tp2 and it worked great..even put the phone in global mode lol
Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6875
Carrier: uscc

dude420420 is just getting started

I'll look into this option thanks.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Us Cellular

menoats is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to menoats Send a message via Yahoo to menoats

Yay for us US Cellular customers. I am getting the Touch Pro 2 for Christmas, its underneath the tree right now can't open it though till Christmas mourning. Can't wait to say goodbye to my Touch Pro. I realize they are almost the same but I watch Youtube videos a lot and the larger screen is going to be a welcomed improvement.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM
droseis

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hello fellow USC TP2 users, just thought I would toss out there what I have done as well. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I have done most of the same mods as laymanspc and all have worked for me as well. One other that I would like to add however is adding in support for Widgets. For some reason it was pulled from the USC build of WM 6.5 (according to HTC). You can add this support back in by using the attached cab's. (I don't have the links to the threads that I got these from at the moment so I apologize to the developers of these fixes for not giving them their due).

The other fix was to add Manila2.1_AllUSACities.cab to add all of the US cities to the weather app. Without this the My Location will work for the cities not in the stock one however this will allow you to select others that are not in the stock one for the world clock and weather.

Other that these and the others already mentioned I am currently just running this one as stock.

Have fun
David
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltech View Post
If you have any old phones laying around that used sim cards..put it in your tp2 and it will get rid of the no-sim icon. i found an old nextel phone i had from about 7 years ago and popped it's sim card into my tp2 and it worked great..even put the phone in global mode lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude420420 View Post
I'll look into this option thanks.
Done, tested and confirmed working flawless with an old AT&T prepaid SIM. Exactly as metaltech stated, global mode and all.

Thanks for the info! Love having the signal meter back.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2