PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's up with TP2 memory management?

I've added some stuff to try to speed up the phone... Uninstalled bloat, tweaked settings, and reinstalled new stuff to storage card (but of course I want it to be pretty so I'm running cookie's home tab which eats up memory).

Since doing all this I'm not sure if I'm any better off. I had to get rid of htc task manager 2, clicking some links (even just forum threads) would kill opera. My phone just rebooted randomly as I got a text. And from day one, if I hang up out of opera and run something else, opera 10's gonna die.

It's weird because some days I can get 3-4 things going (opera, media player, text) and they run for a long time. Other days, I run two things and switch to the second and first is gone.

I'm a little scared to flash a custom rom, I like my sprint stock 6.5 rom, but I've heard there's a memory leak? Is that the problem? Also I hear lots of wild claims about custom roms and I'm not sure I buy them. Two days without recharging? 6 big apps running all day? Is this for real?

Lastly might this help? It's for older WM without sense running on top, but it claims it has an exception list so some apps don't automatically close. Might that work for me? http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=2132
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff
Re: What's up with TP2 memory management? fffffuuuuuuu

What do mean that you "Had to get rid of HTC taskmanager 2" ??

Obviously something that you are installing on your phone is conflicting. Uninstall each item one at a time, checking opera in between until the problem is fixed.

If it still does it after everything is uninstalled, then you have a system file/registry problem. At that point I would suggest that you do task 29 and then flash a fresh copy of the stock rom from HTC's website, then do a data reset from the security menu "1234".

IF at that point BEFORE YOU INSTALL ANYTHING, you browse opera and it crashes, there is something wrong with your phone. Most likely it's something your installing though.

If not, then install your tweaks one at a time and browse opera until it crashes and you've found the culprit.

a couple things to save battery and speed.

goto phone settings, change it from global to "CDMA only"

Adjust all the auto update stuff, weather, email and such.

delete anything out of the startup folder (doesn't disable it, just makes things not start immediately)

I would also back up EVERYTHING on your memory card and format that through the phone. Don't just copy everything back onto the card in one swoop, wait until you get it running properly, then only copy over music, documents and pics and such. Saved files for any games you might have.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

I just love these kind of threads. the problem is the memory leak in 6.5. if you flash to a 6.1 el problema desaparecerá. I recommend the sprint basics rom, it requires no provision and has great memory management (boot at 108mb and end day between 75-90mb ) with 6.5 I started each day with 75-90mb and then end it with 20-35mb even with nothing open. its also very stable.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

pctek4456 is becoming a great contributor

Or Install Mr.X titanium Lite rom
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek4456 View Post
Or Install Mr.X titanium Lite rom
memory leak still.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work

So it's true, some of these custom roms... you can leave (for example) google maps, media player, opera full, outlook running all day? ..6.1 sounds good, but will change the look and feel? Can I still be running manila 2.2 with it? I want to be able to keep my 4x4 quicklinks and all that stuff. Old WM home screen looks lame to me.

bob: I know it probably comes off like I'm installing every bonzi-buddy type cab file I run across, but I swear it's not that. The task manager I uninstalled is a resource hog, see this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132086

To clean up, I removed everything with sktools' uninstaller and only added the things I use every day. I also used this tweak cab: http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/to...zon-telus-tp2s ...the only thing is, I think what caused my problem earlier is it added this fruity little feature where my texts get read out loud to me. Good for a laugh, but that's using more resources instead of less.

I think the major problem was opera. I installed mini instead, which doesn't make the pages look quite as pretty, but it gets the job done and it's 10x faster. Before, with opera, if I tried to load my swype keyboard, it just thought for a second then gave up. No problem with mini. And before, opera 10 + 2 other memory intensive programs = opera gives up. But mini just keeps running.

Sorry to be a noob, I have searched about speedup stuff for a while and I know there are solutions out there... new roms, hard reset to clean up, even overclocking. I just don't want to take any really major steps I guess. I like where my phone is at right now, except for the speed and not being able to keep opera up.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Banned User

the 6.1 rom I'm running has sense 2.1 with a programs tab and I've once ran IE,facebook IM, beejive IM (known resource hog) and slacker radio without problems. its called the sprint basics rom so u should try it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm over my fear of flashing the rom and wiping everything clean, as I got several decent backup programs that seem to be working great. I'll try a 6.1 rom and some of the lightweight custom roms.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned User

if I helped u at all hit thanks lol
Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

flash a 6.5 or 6.5.x and chage the pagepool to some where between 12 and 18 (find the # that works best for you) and youll be good even with a slight mem leak

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
memory, memory leak, memory management, speed up, tp2