PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Safest/Fastest Overclock Speed TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132211)

killerkhatiby009 08-24-2010 12:08 PM

Safest/Fastest Overclock Speed TP2

I have a Sprint TP2 and just recently learned about the ability to overclock and I've been trying to read the threads about it but there is just so much information it would take forever to read. I just wanted to know what would be the highest level I can overclock my TP2 to without it freezing and causing issues and instability and such?

Also I've been using the oruam app SetCPUSpeed-1.0d.cab and I've been able to get it only to 748mhz without freezing, i've been reading about Nayer's 4.21 app and I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two if one is better than the other? Would it allow me to overclock more without freezing?

Tybalt39 08-24-2010 01:07 PM

Re: Safest/Fastest Overclock Speed TP2

While I can't offer a definitive answer, I have tried both the SetCPUSpeed 1.0d and OC Auto 4.21

I had the best results with Auto4.21

While I could get to 748 with 1.0d, it wasn't stable beyond that point and I would occasionally get an SOD. With Auto 4.21 I am running at 806 (see sig) with no SOD or resets needed unless some app breaks the OC (resets to 528Mhz, then I have to reset the speeds and reset). This doesn't cause any problems other than no longer being OC'd; no SOD, no "lock-up", no freeze, just not as fast any more. This doesn't happen often, and only when I use my GPS software (iGo8 ). Even then, not always...

killerkhatiby009 08-24-2010 02:08 PM

Thanks for the help! ill try uninstalling SetCPUSpeed 1.0d and test OC Auto 4.21 and let you know what happens for me if i experience the same ability

matchstickredgti 08-24-2010 02:30 PM

It's going to be different for most people. Some people can't get past 710mhz without locking up. I guess it depends on the condition of your hardware, manufacture date, etc. I am able to run 806mhz all day as well. Wouldn't recommend just 'jumping' to 806 though, make small steps and see how your phone likes it before getting that high.

killerkhatiby009 08-24-2010 02:36 PM

Yeah I tried 806 and anything in between and it didnt work, So far i'm stuck at 748 well see if I can push it any more tomorrow and such after running at 748 for a while

youngpro83 08-24-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerkhatiby009 (Post 1922065)
I have a Sprint TP2 and just recently learned about the ability to overclock and I've been trying to read the threads about it but there is just so much information it would take forever to read. I just wanted to know what would be the highest level I can overclock my TP2 to without it freezing and causing issues and instability and such?

Also I've been using the oruam app SetCPUSpeed-1.0d.cab and I've been able to get it only to 748mhz without freezing, i've been reading about Nayer's 4.21 app and I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two if one is better than the other? Would it allow me to overclock more without freezing?

Okay seriously...Why would you want to OC at such high MHZ?? The default is 568 so just think, if they made it 568 and you try and OC 200 more MHZ above the default, then you are only pushing your phone to becoming nonoperational. Of course its going to freeze!!! Why not try 656 and be happy with a fully operational phone that doesnt freeze? From my experience, Ive noticed anything above 700 is going to cause the phone to freeze sooner or later. I guess if you want to have a phone that you constantly have to soft reset then keep searching for an OC that will allow you to go higher. Your only going to burn out the phone.

killerkhatiby009 08-24-2010 02:50 PM

The reason is obvious, better performance. 100mhz over the stock speed (which is 528Mhz not 568mhz) is not going to give you as much performance increase as 200mhz. I have been running at 748mhz without any sort of issues at all so why not? I'm just simply asking for people to report what speeds they have been successfully able to reach to while remaining stable in order to get the most out of this device.

redd214 08-24-2010 03:32 PM

i couldnt get past 748. was very unstable there so i ratcheted it down a bit and runs pretty good. and to young pro there are plenty of phones that are overclocked much higher than our tp2's. the original droid for example has a stock clock speed in the 500's as well and can be safely run to 1ghz even 1.1 in some cases

puff601 08-24-2010 03:44 PM

from what ive read, it really depends on the quality of your cpu, which varies with each tp2. i am @ 787 with no issues and ive tried every OC app available for tp2. i currently use OCT 1.5 which has dynamic overclocking (adjusts OC speed depending on CPU load) so when my tp2 is idle, the cpu drops to 71Mhz.

docnas 08-24-2010 03:57 PM

My phone goes up to 806 but i dont like to push it and leave it at 787 using the mortscript method . As for freezing and needing softresetting well ive been running ht overclock for over 3 weeks now and so far not a single freeze that i can attribute to it being overclocked ( usually its a program that doesnt want to run nice with 6.5.5). That being said i regularly soft reset every 4-5 days just to refresh the system. But as said b4 overclocking is a very YMMV experience \.

Tybalt39 08-24-2010 04:25 PM

I can understand the hesitation to OC to what might be considered (in the PC world) extreme multiples. There is no way to compensate for increased heat like you can in a PC. That being said, I have no idea what the limitations are with ARM devices. I am running "stable" at 806. I may try higher, but I started at 710 and worked my way up one step/day at a time. So far, I have felt no increase in heat and my battery life has actually improved. And the phone is almost iPhone fast (*dirty word*)!

I hope I will not regret this speed boost. Time will tell...

In the mean-time, I will enjoy this "new" acting device as long as I can.

eric12341 08-24-2010 05:39 PM

I use the msm7kcpuspeed app for my overclocking and I lose stability out of the 700s with a freeze in the mid 800s. that dynamic oc app sounds good tho so I may switch to that if I can get a link to it.

badb4c 08-24-2010 06:22 PM

787 all day, never had a lock up under 800. Mighty mikes latest, and the latest cht. Everything is installed correctly though with zero issues after a task 29 too. Using 4.21.

This really isnt a helpful thread though. It seems there are such varied results you just need to start where you feel comfortable and then start moving up until it freezes. Then back it off a bit.

bobturismo 08-24-2010 08:13 PM

This thread pretty much has the averages.

From watching what people were running.

710 seems to be the lowest most stable speed, everyone should be able to run this

748 seems to be about average (that's where I was able to push it, now that I think about it it might be because of HTC messaging...)

806 seems to be the high average

prboy1969 08-24-2010 09:29 PM

I've been running Msm7kcpuspeed , Mortscript , OC_AUTO v4.2 cab for a while now . No issues , no SOD's :headbang: .

japper88 08-25-2010 04:43 PM

I've been running at 787mhz for a couple of weeks now, no issues. I tired 806mhz and my phone immediately started acting funky. So 787mhz seems like the sweet spot for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 1922503)
I use the msm7kcpuspeed app for my overclocking and I lose stability out of the 700s with a freeze in the mid 800s. that dynamic oc app sounds good tho so I may switch to that if I can get a link to it.

This thread has some oc apps
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=129661

rnunez 08-25-2010 07:12 PM

My phone ran fine at 748mhz but when I increased the speed to 787mhz it locked up on reboot. How do I reset the speed back to 748 mhz?

matchstickredgti 08-25-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnunez (Post 1923883)
My phone ran fine at 748mhz but when I increased the speed to 787mhz it locked up on reboot. How do I reset the speed back to 748 mhz?

Which OC method are you using? If you're using the script, you can just boot up the phone with the SD card removed

rnunez 08-25-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangomango (Post 1923887)
Which OC method are you using? If you're using the script, you can just boot up the phone with the SD card removed

I am using SetCpuSpeed1.0d

rnunez 08-25-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangomango (Post 1923887)

Thanks. It worked with SetCpuSpeed also.

nayr1482 08-25-2010 08:05 PM

Some useful information for everyone...

OC_Auto_x.xx - prevents against SOD caused by backlight off, phone calls, and lockscreen (default). it does this by throttling your cpu back to a lower speed when these events occur.
IMO, this seems to be the most stable for most people.
The drawback - it uses more CPU power than SetCpuSpeed (but keep in mind...we are achieving like 50% OC's and the script uses around 2% when set to 1000ms polling).
Netripper's app does the work, the script basically controls the application.

SetCpuSpeed - prevents SOD only caused by backlight off. also does this by throttling your cpu back to a lower speed when this event occurs.
The pros - uses less CPU power than scripts even with faster polling

OCT_v1.5 - dont know much about it at this point. doesnt show up in dotFreds task manager so dont even know how much CPU it uses. i have not ran this very much yet so cant comment too much on it.

I really can't say which version I like the best...I have been able to OC the same amount basically with all 3 so far.

Maxx134 08-25-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puff601 (Post 1922370)
from what ive read, it really depends on the quality of your cpu, which varies with each tp2. i am @ 787 with no issues and ive tried every OC app available for tp2. i currently use OCT 1.5 which has dynamic overclocking (adjusts OC speed depending on CPU load) so when my tp2 is idle, the cpu drops to 71Mhz.

Yea I was able to achieve higher clock but only when it was dynamic overclocking as it didnt stay at that speed,
BUT overall performance-wise it did not give me any "better" results, than the Script (OC_ Auto_v4.21) or app (SetCpuSpeed1.0d) solutions.
It may be better on battery thou..

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayr1482 (Post 1923936)
Some useful information for everyone...

OC_Auto_x.xx - prevents against SOD caused by backlight off, phone calls, and lockscreen (default). it does this by throttling your cpu back to a lower speed when these events occur.
IMO, this seems to be the most stable for most people.
The drawback - it uses more CPU power than SetCpuSpeed (but keep in mind...we are achieving like 50% OC's and the script uses around 2% when set to 1000ms polling).
Netripper's app does the work, the script basically controls the application.

SetCpuSpeed - prevents SOD only caused by backlight off. also does this by throttling your cpu back to a lower speed when this event occurs.
The pros - uses less CPU power than scripts even with faster polling

OCT_v1.5 - dont know much about it at this point. doesnt show up in dotFreds task manager so dont even know how much CPU it uses. i have not ran this very much yet so cant comment too much on it.

I really can't say which version I like the best...I have been able to OC the same amount basically with all 3 so far.

You explained this perfectly as now I realize why lower polling has more effect on the "SetCpuSpeed".
Your OC_ Auto_v4.21 cab was my favorite for stable constant speed, with safe options.

I cheated a high overclock with OCT, but it didnt give me an increase in speed.

I am currently back on "SetCpuSpeed" which is able to keep me stable at a bleeding edge, normally unstable speed... at low 18 polling.
This was previously not practical since I always froze at that speed(at 768 ).

So now with the new Sense versions out(no more homescreen freeze), and latest OS Builds I can now ride my new limit (for one "day" so far lol) which was 748 but now 768!
woohoo you can really feel the speed & at 768 it is ridiculous!

kroewe 08-25-2010 10:41 PM

i have tried setcpuspeed and oct 1.5 and was able to get stable overclocking at 729 with both. i have ran each for 2 weeks with minimal problems or freezing that could be attributed to the oc.
i never had any SOD issues with either, but any higher instantly freezes my phone with both.
i have encountered a few freezes with both, every time with txt input. i have read that that has been an issue at the edge of being oced too high. it doesnt happen every time, i would say its close to 1 in 100 or so times while at 729. about the same at 710 so i bumped it up.

i would like to see some screenshots of peoples oc speeds posted...

Tybalt39 08-26-2010 12:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kroewe (Post 1924098)
...I would like to see some screenshots of peoples oc speeds posted...

Done!

The memory screen normally reads 83.xx, but ActiveSync and MyMobiler take up a bit to get the screen-shots...

Because of the memory leak, I've once again stopped using Sense (2.5). I vacillate though, so I may go back at some point.

Still looking for a flip clock for my today screen.

matchstickredgti 08-27-2010 09:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kroewe (Post 1924098)
i would like to see some screenshots of peoples oc speeds posted...

Windows overclock and Android overclock