PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What software and tweaks break the TP2?

This is my list of what currently does not work on the TP2, causes stability issues, etc. For all you guys wondering why certain things don't work, READ THIS!!!

I had both the Verizon and Sprint TP2's for about a week while switching carriers. Tweaks that work for one don't always work for the other. Proof of this is that Verizon and Sprint each take a different tweak to disable SMS Sent notifications.

I often wonder how many problems posted are because of tweaks/software designed for the TP1, being installed on the TP2.

Here are the facts:
1) Verizon and Sprint both use DIFFERENT versions or compilations of TF3D. For that reason, not all tweaks are global. Not sure how AT&T or others differ for their version of the TP2.
2) Custom taskbars MUST BE BUILT WITH YOUR CARRIERS DLL's, otherwise you'll have lots of issues.

Here is my list of what doesn't work or causes instability issues:
- Custom Taskbars - Unless a taskbar was built specifically for Verizon TP2, Sprint TP2, etc, then you will probably not have a fully functioning phone. One example is the HTCVOLUMECONTROL.DLL. That is what makes the difference in Sprint vs Verizon SMSSent notification control. If you interchange the stock DLL's between phones, the SMS fixes follow the carrier specific DLL. On this same note, installing a taskbar that is not TP2 specific, you will lose combined volume slider and depending on carrier will lose ability to get speaker phone activated when you flip your phone over. Bottom line is, it's not as "TP2" specific as it is DLL specific. Forget fancy icons, your better off using the phone as it was shipped.

- nueDynamicClock - On my Verizon TP2 this software caused the phone to become severly unstable. Phone would freeze and have to be soft reset upon completing a charge, or any random time during normal use. I had so many problems with this that I have never even tried installing on my Sprint TP2. With the TP2 I also noticed no difference in battery life with this uninstalled.

- Speedbooster - I have only ever used the battery meter and tweaks from this software on the TP1 successfully. I gained another 25% in battery life on average using this software with those tweaks. However, with the TP2, the phone again was very unstable. With one or both of this or nueDynamicClock installed the phone would randomly lock up and need reset, while with both uninstalled the phone was perfectly stable. With the TP2 I also noticed no difference in battery life with this uninstalled.

- Chobit SmartLock from XDA - While this software was great on the TP1, I have had nothing but problems on the TP2. It does "work", but I think the newer TF3D has changed something that keeps SmartLock from keeping everything behind the lock. NOTE***On Verizon this worked GREAT and I rarely ever had a problem, but on Sprint I always get things overriding the locker. Again, I think this is because of difference in the TF3D DLL's being used by each carrier.

- PocketShield - With this installed, calls do not pick up automatically on hands-free. I have to manually turn hands-free on, whether I answered the call via headset or the phone. Speakerphone will not turn on when the phone is flipped over.

- IM+ v7.0.1 - When installed phone becomes severly unstable, both Verizon and now Sprint. When you open the application it works fine, but as soon as you open another program and it goes to background, the phone becomes unusable and needs a soft reset. I have been working with their developers and they tell me that they found the problem and a new version will be out in a few weeks to correct this (email was dated 10/25/09). In the mean time, Palringo v2 works great.

If you have been able to reproduce issues, please post and I will update the list.

Last edited by zim2323; 10-29-2009 at 03:38 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

zim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good workzim2323 is keeping up the good work
Re: What doesn't work on the TP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkout View Post
Here are the programs I installed as soon as I got my TP2 and seem to work great.
Huh?

This thread is about what DOES NOT work, not what does.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

So I know Bing won't automatically locate you on the Sprint version, but it does on the GSM version. The only way it will locate you on the Sprint version is if you go in and manually tell it to use the GPS, and then wait several minutes for the GPS to get a lock.

Also, the conference calling feature is not on the Sprint version, and it is on the GSM.

Oy yeah, and the weather on the Sprint version won't automatically get your city like it does on the GSM version.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
So I know Bing won't automatically locate you on the Sprint version, but it does on the GSM version. The only way it will locate you on the Sprint version is if you go in and manually tell it to use the GPS, and then wait several minutes for the GPS to get a lock.

Also, the conference calling feature is not on the Sprint version, and it is on the GSM.

Oy yeah, and the weather on the Sprint version won't automatically get your city like it does on the GSM version.
Both Bing and Google pickup my location immediately when I open it. The only time I had to turn GPS on was the first time I opened each. It defaults to whatever setting you were using before.

As for the rest, these are not compatibility issues, or what doesn't work, rather features that operate differetly between carriers. Does the weather app work? YES! Does Bing work? YES! Does GPS Lock? YES! Does conference calling work? YES! If you learn how to do 3-way calling on a CDMA carrier phone.

Come on guys, think about what you are posting here. This wasn't started for someone to point out inconsistencies between carriers, it was to point out software or tweaks that BREAK functions of the phone.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2323 View Post
Both Bing and Google pickup my location immediately when I open it. The only time I had to turn GPS on was the first time I opened each. It defaults to whatever setting you were using before.

As for the rest, these are not compatibility issues, or what doesn't work, rather features that operate differetly between carriers. Does the weather app work? YES! Does Bing work? YES! Does GPS Lock? YES! Does conference calling work? YES! If you learn how to do 3-way calling on a CDMA carrier phone.

Come on guys, think about what you are posting here. This wasn't started for someone to point out inconsistencies between carriers, it was to point out software or tweaks that BREAK functions of the phone.
Wait, Bing works on yours? Can you confirm this? Google Maps finds me instantly when I open it (no changing any settings). Bing does NOT find me, and furthermore, the "Locate Me" option is not even there on the main screen (it is in the upper right on the GSM version, right across from "Change Location"), and if I hit Menu, and then Settings, the "Locate Me" option is grayed out.

Can you double check your Bing and confirm that it actually works?

Just to make this post idiot proof, I am going to spell it out: Google Maps uses cell tower data to locate me in a matter of seconds- even in a basement. Bing does the same thing on my GSM Touch Pro 2. Both programs have options to "Use GPS" but then it takes several minutes for a GPS lock (and you will never get a GPS lock in a basement).

On this Sprint Touch Pro 2, Bing does NOT use the cell tower data. And if yours is really using it (finding your location instantly as soon as you open it- especially indoors) then I would really like to know what settings you have.

Do me a favor please, open Bing and tell me how long it takes before it locates you (preferably indorrs). Also tell me if you have a "Locate Me" link in the upper right of the main Bing screen. And then hit "Menu" and "Settings" and tell me what you have selected for "GPS:" and if the "Locate Me" option (right uinder "GPS:") is greyed out.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 10-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Wait, Bing works on yours? Can you confirm this? Google Maps finds me instantly when I open it (no changing any settings). Bing does NOT find me, and furthermore, the "Locate Me" option is not even there on the main screen (it is in the upper right on the GSM version, right across from "Change Location"), and if I hit Menu, and then Settings, the "Locate Me" option is grayed out.

Can you double check your Bing and confirm that it actually works?

Just to make this post idiot proof, I am going to spell it out: Google Maps uses cell tower data to locate me in a matter of seconds- even in a basement. Bing does the same thing on my GSM Touch Pro 2. Both programs have options to "Use GPS" but then it takes several minutes for a GPS lock (and you will never get a GPS lock in a basement).

On this Sprint Touch Pro 2, Bing does NOT use the cell tower data. And if yours is really using it (finding your location instantly as soon as you open it- especially indoors) then I would really like to know what settings you have.

Do me a favor please, open Bing and tell me how long it takes to before it locates you (preferably indorrs). Also tell me if you have a "Locate Me" link in the upper right of the main Bing screen. And then hit "Menu" and "Settings" and tell me what you have selected for "GPS:" and if the "Locate Me" option (right uinder "GPS:") is greyed out.
Let me try and idiot proof MY post. If anything these are carrier/app specific issues, NOT a tweak or app causing the phone to break or lose functionality from what it ORIGINALLY had. This DOES NOT belong here.

That being said, both Bing, Google Maps, Garmin, Sprint Navigation, iGo8, and TomTom all lock and find my location almost immediately. There may be cell or tower issues in YOUR area, but again that is NOT an issue that breaks the phone. Those are simply application differences/issues.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2323 View Post
Let me try and idiot proof MY post. If anything these are carrier/app specific issues, NOT a tweak or app causing the phone to break or lose functionality from what it ORIGINALLY had. This DOES NOT belong here.

That being said, both Bing, Google Maps, Garmin, Sprint Navigation, iGo8, and TomTom all lock and find my location almost immediately. There may be cell or tower issues in YOUR area, but again that is NOT an issue that breaks the phone. Those are simply application differences/issues.
Speaking of idiot proof, I am not sure you know what you're talking about here...

Okay, Garmin, Tom Tom, Igo, etc- are using the GPS, NOT cell tower location.

Google Maps uses the cell tower location. Bing is SUPPOSED to use it too, but it does NOT work on the Sprint Touch Pro 2.

So just to clarify- Tom Tom 7 works just fine on my phone. My GPS works.

Google Maps works just fine on my phone. Cell tower triangulation works.

Bing does NOT work on my phone unless I use the GPS.

You started a thread that specifically asks what does not work on the Touch Pro 2. Bing does NOT work on the Touch Pro 2. It does if you use GPS (which I still have to get my location every single time I use it, by the way) but it does NOT work the way it was intended- which it does on the GSM Touch Pro 2 that I have been using for several months now.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 10-29-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I dont use IM+. I use Parlingo. Do not use Agile Messenger! Terrible interface.

GPSGate doesnt work well at all. There are no exit screen. It can do minimized only. When you exit, it crash.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Speaking of idiot proof, I am not sure you know what you're talking about here...

Okay, Garmin, Tom Tom, Igo, etc- are using the GPS, NOT cell tower location.

Google Maps uses the cell tower location. Bing is SUPPOSED to use it too, but it does NOT work on the Sprint Touch Pro 2.

So just to cvlarify- Tom Tom 7 works just fine on my phone. My GPS works.

Google Maps works just fine on my phone. Cell tower triangulation works.

Bing does NOT work on my phone unless I use the GPS.

You started a thread that specifically asks what does not work on the Touch Pro 2. Bing does NOT work on the Touch Pro 2. It does if you use GPS (which I still have to get my location every single time I use it, by the way) but it does NOT work the way it was intended- which it does on the GSM Touch Pro 2 that I have been using for several months now.
If that is the case for you, then call Bing support. That "bug" does not break the phone or reduce it's functionality, therefor it doesn't belong in this thread.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: What software and tweaks break the TP2?

I changed the title to help clarify my intentions of this thread.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2