PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

galingula is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Syncing MS Office files between desktop & the phone

I have a load of MS Office files on my desktop I'd like to sync the phone with.

Do I have to keep them in a special folder? I'd hate that. Can this be done wirelessly?

Any help or links would be helpful
Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Syncing MS Office files between desktop & the phone

can you flat out sync the 2? i dont think so.. can you "mimic" a sync-possibly..

When you select "files" to be sync'd via ActiveSync.. it creates a desktop folder for you.. well call it TP2 Folder... This folder is EVERTYTHING stored under My Documents in your device, including ANY subfolders in M.D. also...

Now, if you move all your MS OFFICE file to your "TP2 Folder" and make a Folder, say "MS OFFICE STUFF" and start saving all new or edited documents in there from now on.. everytime you use ACTIVESYNC it will add any NEW or EDited documents onto your phone... Hence, keeping all the files in your phones up-to-date with any MS files on your PC

--thats the best I got man **ACTIVE SYNC can be done wirelessly, but with BT only i think(unless maybe remote desktop is involved or something).. so if you dont have BT on your PC or Laptop, i think your stuck with a wired connection**
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I agree with the above. I have to say that although this is a pain, what you are expected to do with Windows Phone 7 is to put all this up on the cloud and download to your phone via the many variants of Windows Sky Drive. Same as Google.

A long time in the future before I trust either of these crews with my personal information... 6.5 forever?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

It would seem to me that I augth to be able to keep my docs where the hell I want, and just place links to them in the sync folders under my documents on the pc.

Would that be that hard to set up?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

well dude, Your Entire Device stoarge is Not Sync-able.. sorry, but its been this way since windows mobile was introduced like YEARS ago..

ActiveSync allow you to sync contacts,email, calender, and Notes with outlook.. the "Files" thats between you and your computer.. and the "Files" being stored may ONLY be the contents of My Documents..

So go ahead and be mad that "you cant put the files wherever the hell you want".. but your anger wont change any of the facts.. ACTIVESYNC ONLY SYNCS FILES IN MY DOCUMENTS..and you cant change that..

NOW, you can stay angry and bitter, OR use the steps i have in post #2 which WILL DO WHAT YOUR ASKING FOR! ie keep a sync between your device and yours PCs MS files...

Pretty sure thats the best answer your going to get as far as How to sync your MS documents
Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
well dude, Your Entire Device stoarge is Not Sync-able.. sorry, but its been this way since windows mobile was introduced like YEARS ago..

ActiveSync allow you to sync contacts,email, calender, and Notes with outlook.. the "Files" thats between you and your computer.. and the "Files" being stored may ONLY be the contents of My Documents..

So go ahead and be mad that "you cant put the files wherever the hell you want".. but your anger wont change any of the facts.. ACTIVESYNC ONLY SYNCS FILES IN MY DOCUMENTS..and you cant change that..

NOW, you can stay angry and bitter, OR use the steps i have in post #2 which WILL DO WHAT YOUR ASKING FOR! ie keep a sync between your device and yours PCs MS files...

Pretty sure thats the best answer your going to get as far as How to sync your MS documents
Chill out dude, you accuse me of being angry and bitter because I said "where the hell I want". Take a pill. Thanks for your help and don't try to dig so deeply into short comments people make on the web. The phones a good phone. It's my first experience with WM as I've been using Palms since the mid 90's. I had a REX once, that was my first. Anyway, this place is a good source of info and I appreciate it. I don't think I've ever been typed to like that here. Thanks again
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by galingula View Post
Chill out dude, you accuse me of being angry and bitter because I said "where the hell I want". Take a pill. Thanks for your help and don't try to dig so deeply into short comments people make on the web. The phones a good phone. It's my first experience with WM as I've been using Palms since the mid 90's. I had a REX once, that was my first. Anyway, this place is a good source of info and I appreciate it. I don't think I've ever been typed to like that here. Thanks again

it just gets a little old when we help people out and give them the answers to their problems and then they seem to complain about the steps involved..... make some of Us/Me, not even want to help people anymore and just keep the info to myself..- not that someone else couldnt have given you the same answer I did..

So... I apologize.. please except it.. you just seemed at the time, to be one of the many that dont appreciate actually receiving an awser to the issue they ask about..

so one last time.. I apologize(thats right people, find it and read, B&T apologized to someone-and without Mods asking me to LMFAO).. Welcome to WM, sorry WM is dead just about, but feel free to ask away
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

try microsoft myphone. you can put your docs in the 'cloud' and they will always be a click away even if you arent near your pc
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
try microsoft myphone. you can put your docs in the 'cloud' and they will always be a click away even if you arent near your pc
I used MS MYphone in the very begining, just till i learned Sashimi.. But isnt it bound by the same limitations as ActiveSync?? ie for "files" it will only do SD card, or whatever is in My Documents on the device??
and how would MS Myphone take documents saved on his computer and UPdate/Sync them to the device.. MS MyPhone sync your phone to itself, thats it I though... - if Im misinformed please tell me.. im always looking at all the ways to stay backed up.. dont like to rely on just one way to backup, in case something goes wrong ya know

http://sn1-p2.myphone.microsoft.com/...=1282265088428 What type of information can I back up? The recommended (default) settings will synchronize your contacts, calendar appointments, tasks, photos, videos, text messages, songs, browser favorites and documents between your phone and your My Phone web account. Please note the following:
  • <LI class=moreInfoSubText>If My Phone detects content already being managed by connections with Microsoft Exchange server (which is frequently used for corporate e-mail and contacts) or the Windows Live mobile application, My Phone will not duplicate the syncing of this content.
  • To sync an external memory card, "manual" settings should be chosen during setup as memory cards are not synced using the recommended (default) settings.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

It is not that hard just to use the phone My Doc sync folder. What I do for key files that I want to use on the phone, like some financial information or IP addresses, I put them in the TP2 sync folder, then put a shortcut to the file/folder in question on my desktop. Then I am always saving to my computer when I edit them on the computer via the convenient shortcut, but in the folder that is synced with the phone. You also always have 2 copies of a crucial file, so it is always backed up.... not matter how dumb you are... and if you use Ghost and Sprint Backup, you may never get rid of the files in question or their older versions.

Have been doing this for years... with no cloud.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2