PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

kcrlshell is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Anyone willing to explain this data connection thing to me?

Hi all,

I've have a Sprint TP2 and love it. But one thing drives me crazy and I still haven't found an answer after nearly a year with the phone. I turn on WiFi, turn off data connection...within a few minutes data turns itself back on. I have turned off every automatic connection update thing I can find in every app on the phone.

3 questions:
1) Why does it keep turning back on?
2) Can I be sure the phone is using WiFi rather than Data if I just leave the data connection active in addition to having WiFi on?
3) Is there any .cab that will make the Data connection stay turned off until I manually choose to turn it back on?

Thanks!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Anyone willing to explain this data connection thing to me?

whats your send/recieve schedule for your email accounts?? thatll turn your data on.

what about weather?? weather tab>menu>settings>auto download??? thatll activate your data also
----

have wifi AND data on??? why? you goto COMM Manager, makes sure datas off, then turn on wifi... but if your WIFI is on, your DATA(3G) will not turn on while wifi is active
-----

umm, hmmm, cab.... datasuspendresume i think its called??

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-19-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

kcrlshell is a n00b

In the Sense Weather tab I have UNchecked the Download data automatically (I use Weather Bug).

I have my email account set to "download manually" in the account settings and just hit Send/Receive to get email when I'm in the mood to read my email.

As mentioned...I have gone through everything I could possibly think of that might connect to data and tried to turn it off...GPS is the only thing I am iffy on whether I have it truly turned off. Does that only run if I turn on the Sprint Navigation?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

what rom are you running?? your not on 6.1 manila 2.5 where it has push internet are you?? if so, that takes a cab to actually kill it, unchecking the setting alone doesnt work..

just ruling things out here
Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

kcrlshell is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
have wifi AND data on??? why? you goto COMM Manager, makes sure datas off, then turn on wifi... but if your WIFI is on, your DATA(3G) will not turn on while wifi is active

This is the scenario...I turn on Wifi, and turn off Data (I use Cookies switches for this). Status bar shows Wifi icon and phone radio icon. I use the phone for a few minutes to surf web or some such, and set it down without turning off wifi - it goes to sleep. 20 minutes later I wake it up and both the Wifi and Data icons are showing in the status bar (Data replacing the phone icon).

Doesn't that mean that both Wifi and Data are now on simultaneously? See Status bar up top of screenshot (if I go to Comm Manager when the status bar looks like this, both the Wifi and Data connection switches are in the green "on" position.

Last edited by kcrlshell; 08-19-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Add Screenshot
Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

kcrlshell is a n00b

Quote:
what rom are you running?? your not on 6.1 manila 2.5 where it has push internet are you?? if so, that takes a cab to actually kill it, unchecking the setting alone doesnt work..

just ruling things out here
And I appreciate the Help! I'm on the Sprint 6.5 upgrade
OS 5.2.21899
ROM 2.04.651.4
Manilla 2.5.20121324.1 (With Cookies 1.8.5)
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrlshell View Post

Doesn't that mean that both Wifi and Data are now on simultaneously? See Status bar up top of screenshot

that means that your WIFI is tryin to communicate.. the arrows will flash or kind of glow while it first runs... once the WIFI connects to a Device, you get the image above where it shows a steady connection..

Data AND Wifi cant and wont run simulatiously.. turn on your wifi and try to recieve a picture mail.. it wont work.. youll recieve it.. but when you goto it, itll say "download" on the left soft key.. you cant even hit :download: until turning off wifi and turning Data back.. - this is just an example showing that Both wont run...

If your device goes to sleep with wifi on, unless you have settings or a cab to do otherwise, it will disconnect the Wifi Pairing.. NOW, wifi is STILL on at this point, just not connected to another device.. When you wake the device UP, the Wifi arrows and "Data" arrows will all start moving again and communicating-until you reconnect the Wifi to said Device..

Help any??

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-19-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

kcrlshell is a n00b

This is helpful indeed! Yes, when I first wake up the phone, the Wifi arrows are animating...showing that a connection is being made The data icon arrows are not animating - it simply appears to be "on" with the bars fluctuating with signal strength. I have always assumed that when the Wifi arrows finish moving and show solid, the connection to my router is complete. Is this wrong? Am I not reconnected to Wifi? And if I am reconnected...if I use the browser or check email...which connection will the phone use by default?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrlshell View Post
This is helpful indeed! Yes, when I first wake up the phone, the Wifi arrows are animating...showing that a connection is being made The data icon arrows are not animating - it simply appears to be "on" with the bars fluctuating with signal strength. I have always assumed that when the Wifi arrows finish moving and show solid, the connection to my router is complete. Is this wrong? Am I not reconnected to Wifi? And if I am reconnected...if I use the browser or check email...which connection will the phone use by default?
ok, if your Wifi arrows are solid- they are connected..

if your arrows are Animated(much better word than "glowing" which i used for some reason lol) - then its trying to connect or awaiting being connected to..

If your Wifi is on and not actually connected, when you open the browser - it should fail... like right now, i can simply goto turn on wifi, and if i open my browser, it wont load a page..because the Wifi is just on, its not connected to anything

So i think to answer your question: if your wifi is even on, it Will Not default to Data for processes.. Wifi being on, all-be-it maybe not connected, data still Can Not become active until youve actually turned off Wifi period..... just like th epic mail example - if your Wifi is on, but not connected to anyting, Data will not "auto activate" to download the pic mail still.... until Wifi is off..

are we getting closer to the answers your looking for now?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

kcrlshell is a n00b

Quote:
are we getting closer to the answers your looking for now?
LOL...I know, it seems like I'm really belaboring the point. I don't mean to be a dunderhead. It's just that with data limits looming on some of the other carriers, I wish to be certain about when my phone is using my home wifi and when it's using the Sprint data in case things change at Sprint as well.

I do understand that the phone cannot literally be downloading via data and wifi simultaneously. If I'm reading your post right, you're saying that if the Wifi has finished it's connection animation and appears solid (checking the wifi details in comm manager will show my router named with good signal and a green check mark), my phone will use that connection regardless of whether the next over icon is showing phone only icon or data connection on icon because data cannot work while there is an open active wifi network engaged.

LOL...all I want is for that Data connection to remain Off until I manually go to the comm manager and turn it on. and THAT I cannot seem to figure out, but perhaps that doesn't matter.

Thank you, and thank you again, and I will use the thank you button as well. Knowing the active wifi connection supercedes the data connection solves the question I'm having.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
data connection, wifi