PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ToUCHPRo 2
Carrier: sprint

dubmang is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to dubmang Send a message via Yahoo to dubmang
tethering speed?

so i ran the 30day trial of wmwifi and i was geting up to 1mb dll speeds, but now that the trial ended im trying out the stock ICS with the stealth .cab file and im only getting a 44kb dll speed. am i doing something wrong?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: tethering speed?

wow that's slow are you tethering with bluetooth or usb cable? also what site are u using to measure the speed? if its speedtest.net maybe u could be misinterpreting a 0.44 as 44kb when its actually 440kb
Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

dubmang is a n00b

im currently, and only have been using the usb cable.
i originally started with intalling the ics_fix .cab file along with the trial of wmwifirouter. everything went smoothly while i was on the trial. quick connects, fast browsing speeds etc etc. well today i wanted to log on since the computer lap at the armory is closed so it said my trial was up, but then i remembered that someone mentioned if i installed the ICS fix i can just use the stock ICS app to browse. Well i started using that and instantly noticed the laggy speeds. i use dslreports.com which is the same as speedtest.net and yea it came up to 44kb down/38kb up. which is HORRIBLE. i went googling for the older free version of wmwifirouter and i installed version .91 and it says its connected on my phone and laptop yet i get the limited conection/data icon and no pages show up. so now im struggling trying to get this site loaded with crappier than dial up connections.

i havent messed with any registries or altered ANYTHING. im soo tempted to buy the real version of wmwifi but i only browse off my phone for 1-2days a month so i wouldnt really use it.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Zwei
Carrier: TNN (the now network)

bdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbdurst08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmang View Post
im currently, and only have been using the usb cable.
i originally started with intalling the ics_fix .cab file along with the trial of wmwifirouter. everything went smoothly while i was on the trial. quick connects, fast browsing speeds etc etc. well today i wanted to log on since the computer lap at the armory is closed so it said my trial was up, but then i remembered that someone mentioned if i installed the ICS fix i can just use the stock ICS app to browse. Well i started using that and instantly noticed the laggy speeds. i use dslreports.com which is the same as speedtest.net and yea it came up to 44kb down/38kb up. which is HORRIBLE. i went googling for the older free version of wmwifirouter and i installed version .91 and it says its connected on my phone and laptop yet i get the limited conection/data icon and no pages show up. so now im struggling trying to get this site loaded with crappier than dial up connections.

i havent messed with any registries or altered ANYTHING. im soo tempted to buy the real version of wmwifi but i only browse off my phone for 1-2days a month so i wouldnt really use it.
Have you tried using the HTC wifi router? I have used it alot and not sure what the speeds are but it is definately sufficient in just surfing the net. I know there are alot of people on this site that use their TP2's as their sole internet source and do alot of things. if you are DLing large files then you would notice a big diffrence but for basic surfing it is more then good enough, especially here in SoCal where coverage is very good.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

are you sure you're getting an Ev connection instead of 1x?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Sprint

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I used the "HTC Wi-Fi Sharing.cab" on my TP2 for a couple of months and it worked great. I was getting download speeds of around 1MB consistently. It turns your TP2 into a wireless hotspot and then you just connect to it like you would any wireless connection. Of course, your computer has to have WiFi...

Its been posted in several places around here. Here is one of them...go down to Post#9

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107596

(BTW I sold my TP2 so I could get a Samsung Epic.....can't wait!!)

Last edited by Johnny.Bravo; 08-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

dubmang is a n00b

so yea i just noticed is says '1x' but every so often switches to EV. (like right now) im guessing thats the type of connection i have? well how do i keep it consistant with EV? also no i havent tried htc wifirouter yet. like i said i only tether once a month while im at drill. also the speeds suck for casual browsing since i can only have 1 page up at a time and i know the speeds are horrible because when i was using the wmwifirouter i was able to play online games in the field . and now it takes a few seconds for the character screens to load correctly

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2