PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

pokesmot is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advice

Hey,

I'm new to the forums and after browsing through the ROM's section I am slightly confused. I have a Telus HTC touch pro 2, and would like to upgrade to WM 6.5, but as everyone probably knows it is unavailable from Telus in Canada.

Basically, I what I would like to do, is update my phone to the most "improved" and stable version, and reduce the amount of crap taking up memory on my phone. I'm sure its probably just windows running over a dozen useless background applications that accounts for the lack of memory.

Biggest things that irritate me about my touch pro 2:
-Using IE, insane text lag typing in web addresses or other text.
-Random (but somewhat rare) freezing that requires the battery to be pulled
-slowness switching between applications and browsing menus
-older text messages display a date, but no time

In your opinion, whats a good OS version, and what type of ROM will allow me to run my phone with more available memory?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2010, 03:48 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Re: Advice

that is a question with a million possible answers depending on who you talk to. i like flashy and unstable roms. they make life more interesting. for sability and small memory foot print id try mightrom or mr x rom. both guys work with a telus tp2 also, so you know itll work, you just have to use the provisioning tool built in thier roms. also, they dont do lots of different rom versions and os versions and what not. its pretty simple. a stable windows build with a compatible version of sense.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesmot View Post

Biggest things that irritate me about my touch pro 2:
-Using IE, insane text lag typing in web addresses or other text.
-Random (but somewhat rare) freezing that requires the battery to be pulled
-slowness switching between applications and browsing menus
-older text messages display a date, but no time
- use Opera, IE is beyond outdated

-Freezing just happens sometime, no ROM change guarentees that NOT happening anymore

-can happen on any ROM at any time, no "absolute" solution

-not gonna happen w/ time stamp on old messages.. if its not the day of, it doesnt show.. not gonna change

**theres a lot of "whats the best ROM" thread with a million different answers.. thats like asking "whats the best car or phone" your going to get OPINIONS and Many of them.... try and try some more and find whats best for YOU.. you dont want a ROM thats great for someone else, you want one thatll fit Your needs... and evry Rom thread has a detailed log about what in it, whats been changed... usually just jump to the last couple pages and read through to see what people are saying about the newest version of said ROM to see if you wanna try it out..
Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Arguably the best ROM is the original ROM that you have, but tweaked with various cabs to fix all the issues.

If you hard reset your phone and install goodthings2life's "Cleanup cabs" you'll have a fast and stable phone. It basically fixes most or all of the important bugs and tweaks it to be more efficient.

It's found here.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88640

That's my fall back, 6.1 cabbed up with tweaks, should I not find any ROM that I'm happy with, that's where I'll fall back to. (Or maybe a a ROM that has basically those tweaks with all the fat stripped out.)

I personally am trying Bignadad's Maxsense ROM, basically you can move anything on the home page to where every you want it. It seems to work very well and a lot of people are very happy with it. I'm a little more picky and am trying to tweak it a little to my tastes, but so far so good.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122177
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobturismo View Post

Bignadad's Maxsense ROM, basically you can move anything on the home page to where every you want it.
you do realize that CHT allows you to move anything on any of the upto 5 homescreens around right??? just dont want you to think you have limited options and only MaxSense has that feature, ya know
Old 08-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

I'm on this 6.1 21057 rom and it is great, lots of RAM even after prolonged use,i haven't encountered any freezing yet but 6.5 will probably increase that as I've had more freezing or other crazy lockups on 6.5 roms than I had on any 6.1 rom. only thing with this rom is its called sprint basics but it can probably be provisioned for telus. another good 6.1 rom is blackout however that one has no flash in IE.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
you do realize that CHT allows you to move anything on any of the upto 5 homescreens around right??? just dont want you to think you have limited options and only MaxSense has that feature, ya know
I'm glad you chimed in, I've actually been out of the loop for the last like 3-4 months, trying to get caught back up.

Hadn't actually used CHT, went from early 6.5 custom rom to maxsense.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

CHT1.8.5 is nice man.. total customization for your home screen just like Max.. move anything anywhere you want

give you upto 3 more screen(5 but one is all your quicklinks and another the traditonal homepage setup) to add to also..

i like it.. i waited a bit to cab up and go from 1.7.1 to 1.8.5, but once i did i love it
Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

If you really want to try 6.5 then I say try Mighty or Mr. X roms. They both use Telus I believe.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
CHT1.8.5 is nice man.. total customization for your home screen just like Max.. move anything anywhere you want

give you upto 3 more screen(5 but one is all your quicklinks and another the traditonal homepage setup) to add to also..

i like it.. i waited a bit to cab up and go from 1.7.1 to 1.8.5, but once i did i love it

its good but it uses wayyy too much ram.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2