PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

JsrxJsr is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bizarre experience with my TP2 and Verizon...

Hey guys, sorry this is so long... I've been a member (lurker) here a long time and have never really posted. However I have absorbed MOUNDS of information for which I thank all of you. First off, I have a Verizon TP2. I got it new in April. Still running stock ROM. I haven't made the jump to a custom ROM yet. Yesterday I was experimenting with different manila "sliders" and "quicklink" icon sets. I have CHT installed and wound up messing it up. Rather than trying to back track to try and fix it, I just did a hard reset and restored a backup that I had made just prior to said experimentation. After doing a hard reset, it had me "activate" the phone again (as it always has after a hard reset). So it does its thing. Well, after it did this, I went to use the phone and quickly found I could not make calls or texts and had no data connection. After trying it again with the same results, I decided to head to my local Verizon store to get it reprogrammed correctly. I tell them straight up, your OTA activation is bad. They take my phone to the back and after an hour and a half I was told that my device is "bad" and that Verizon no longer carries this device, nor do they support it. They have no back-stock, no replacements, NADA! They then try to get me to give up my TP2 and take another device. Reluctantly I take a quick look and it's apparent they have NOTHING with WM that compares to my TP2 and they refuse to allow me to cross platforms to even consider an Android. I'm a little miffed at this point and grab my TP2 and tell the guy I'm going to go home and "think about it". So I come home and get on the phone with Verizon tech support to see if they are any help... another hour later and I am basically told the same thing, my device is bad, "we'll send you an Imagio, this is your ONLY option". I don't want an Imagio! I want my TP2! So I tell that guy the same thing, I'll call back when I make a decision. Really angry at this point I decide to take matters into my own hands, get online, do a little research, learn the NAM programming codes. I find out that everywhere my phone number SHOULD be, instead is this "000-000-9902" number. My phone thinks this is my phone number, and of course won't work. My MSID however was left intact, so I proceed to plug in MY number everywhere this "000-000-9902" is and VOILA! I am back, 100%, no problems whatsoever. SO, in little under 30 minutes I was able to do what 3 hours of Verizon "help" could not. I'm left with questions now. Why did Verizon abruptly stop supporting this wonderful device while the other carriers seem to be going strong with it? Why would their OTA programming use bad info? Why would their techs not catch this? It all had to have been obvious to them. I even told the tech guy on the phone, here's the deal, your OTA nam programming is putting bad info into my device... Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Is Verizon trying to pull this device for some reason? Pull my specific device for some reason? What are your thoughts? Thanks for listening guys.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
mariano3113

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Bizarre experience with my TP2 and Verizon...

That's totally crazy. And that would've sucked if you had offered to accept the Imagio. However I wonder if they would have let you keep your "Bad" phone since they were no longer offering or supporting it???? Sprint/Nextel gave me the same run around with my i920 (Camera-less i930). Asurion would only replace it with another Nextel (non-windows, non-smartphone) or a Blackberry which would disqualify me from my SERO plan. So I bought a used Touch Pro and went thru 5.........then they didn't want to fix it (currupt keyboard driver aka regedit) and said they were trying to sweep them & offered me a Touch Pro 2.

But yeah that sucks that Verizon didn't even try to program the phone manually to try to fix the phone. Granted that your phone may not be accepting the OTA activation but that doesn't mean "You" should have to scra it and move to an inferior device....just saying!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

1st of all, glad you fixed it!
It sounds to me like Verizon is doing whatever they can to phase out and get rid of the TP2s left on their network so they set up their system to program TP2s like this when someone tries to activate or re-program one on their network.
This does not surprise me but in my opinion it is very underhanded and wrong.
Again, I'm glad you didn't fall for their BS explainations and fixed it yourself!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

JsrxJsr is a n00b

Mariano: They wanted my TP2 back. In fact, the tech support person made it clear to me that if I accepted the Imagio, I had so many days to return the TP2 or I would be charged the full price of the Imagio!
Horndoctor: Thanks, me too. And yeah, I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything but this experience definitely raised my eyebrows. I'm like a little kid now though cuz I wanna keep this TP2 even more since I know they want it too for whatever reason LOL.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DX2

three west is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to three west

wierd, I got mine replaced last month under warranty, they sent me a refurb but it runs like a champ
Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Cresco299 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsrxJsr View Post
"we'll send you an Imagio, this is your ONLY option".

Scary, but this explains the most recent conversation I had with Verizon just two days ago. I was calling tech support to complain about a non-functional GPS issue with my 2 week old replacement from my original phone which was also bought in April. When the tech was looking to see if he could replace my phone he said he might have to get me an Imagio but then quickly said," Oh never mind, here's some" and processed my replacement order. If this replacement lasts as long as my first two TP2's than it sounds like me and the rest of us might be in an uphill battle to fight for a decent hardware swap.

Glad you were able to solve your own issues and thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

wow big red sucks,i read a thread in the TP forum in which a guy is now on his 12th VZW TP. next time they try to crap u just threaten to switch to a new carrier or report them to the BBB.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint PCS

jamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjamio88 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jamio88 Send a message via Yahoo to jamio88

Really glad to hear you did not fall for their BS.

You gotta watch those evil companies. They are tricksters. I do not know why they have such a hard on for ending the TP2's life cycle, but I can't imagine it would be even remotely justified.

However, I actually like the Imagio (From what I have read, as I don't own one). However, I would not take it over the TP2.

Good job on thwarting their attempts at high jacking your device.

on a side note, I actually start taking live calls this week for at&t, and I am looking forward to being able to tell people the CORRECT info and ACTUALLY HELP them....what a crazy concept, right?
Kernel: #Mean-v0.5.1728
Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

gambit07 is keeping up the good workgambit07 is keeping up the good workgambit07 is keeping up the good work

I just had to replace mine under warranty with VZW and I got it done in under 10 minutes. Odd that you had so many problems but with phone companies your experience always depends on the rep. Anyway the new TP2 is running better than my old one now that it's overclocked!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamio88 View Post
on a side note, I actually start taking live calls this week for at&t, and I am looking forward to being able to tell people the CORRECT info and ACTUALLY HELP them....what a crazy concept, right?
not really, they will probably give u a strict script to follow and if any slight deviation from it. FIIIIRRRREEDD!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2