PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

Brent212 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Initial Impressions of TP2

I received my TP2 a couple days ago and have been tinkering with it pretty much nonstop. I upgraded from the original HTC Touch. Sprint is my carrier (got the $30/month SERO plan). Here are some of my gripes.

The main (HUGE) thing that I hate is the lack of a dpad. I've used the Touch for over 2 years now, and I can't believe how damn useful that thing is. It's much more efficient and requires so much less movement with my hand to simply control most of my actions with the dpad. Just navigating around the file explorer is so weird now. I actually have to reach up and tap a folder to access it. And the big issue is that all over the OS and applications are situations where I want to highlight an item but not select it (e.g., highlight a folder but not navigate into it). And I miss scrolling down to the bottom of a page just by holding the "down" direction on the dpad... not even needing to look at the screen. And jumping back a letter or two in a word that I'm typing if I make a typo... I know the on screen keyboard has arrow keys, but they take way longer to get my hand to than the dpad did. I loved being able to control so much of the phone by simply holding it in one hand and using my thumb at the bottom. I'll probably get used to it, but damn it sucks.

I miss the regular old school keyboard. The one that was so small that it required a stylus to use. It's incredibly useful in situations where the current application doesn't offer copy/paste/select all, etc. options. Need to select all? ctrl+a. Google Maps doesn't allow me to paste that address I copied from that email (how the F*** they don't have copy/paste in Google Maps is beyond me... someone needs to be fired and beaten)? Break out that old school keyboard and hit ctrl+v. I did just notice that the Google Maps on the TP2 actually does support copy/paste, so that's good. The one on my Touch didn't, which is unbelieveable. Another app that didn't that always pissed me off was the older version of Opera Mini (4.2 maybe) that I was using on the Touch, but I know the newer version (5?) does, so that's cool. One instance I've needed the old keyboard on the TP2 was in Total Commander when I was attempting to copy the path to a file. You can highlight the path at the top but can't copy it. So annoying.

I'm pretty bummed that in 6.5 (was using 6.1 on the Touch) they didn't add the simple feature to the default email app that every email app on the planet should have, where you can select which email account you want to use to send the current message you're composing. I have several email addresses that all forward everything to my gmail account, which I use to archive everything for easy searching, and because gmail supports push notifications with activesync. So I'd like to be able to open an email on my gmail account on my phone, and reply using the account that the recipient sent the original email to. Anyone know of an email program for winmo that does this?

Another big one is that if you sync your contacts with your gmail account, which I do, it forces the phone contact list to have each contact displayed with "last name, first name". Some of my contacts are simply companies, so I don't even have those fields, and I originally had the display for those contacts set to "company name". Now I have a bunch of blank names in my contact list, and the only way to see each of them is to look at the details, where the company name is displayed.

Which reminds me of another quirk. When I select a contact in my contacts list, it brings me to a screen that has most of the info for that contact, but not everything (company name, notes). When I select from the bottom menu, "See more info", it brings up the screen that I think should just replace the previous one, with all the info that's been entered for that contact, in a better looking format as well.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to have the screen lock when I push the power button. I used "Slide 2 Unlock" on my Touch, and I know I can use it here most likely, but the built in sliding unlocker thing (start menu->"lock") works pretty well, and I'd like to just use that, mostly because I don't want to mess with all the phone interface screens, which I'm pretty sure Slide 2 Unlock replaces.

I like HTC Sense, for the most part. Although I hate that the weather thing doesn't have any locations available. Santa Cruz, Truckee, Tahoe... all missing. WTF? But somehow it uses the GPS signal to get the info for whatever po-dunk town I'm in, so I know the data for all those locations is there, it just won't let me add them as pre-defined locations so I can look at them when I'm not actually there (which is really much more useful than just seeing what the weather's like where you're at... I can look out the freaking window).

I flashed the Energy ROM last night, and I'm loving it. WAY better than the stock ROM in that it's so much more easily customized. The ROM added the lock on suspend, so that's good, although now another thing I wish I could make it do is have the screen shut off after X number of seconds once it's locked. I like to set it to never turn off on it's on when unlocked, so I can spend however long I want looking at a page of text or a picture or whatever, but then when I hit the power button, I'd like it to lock and turn off the screen, which it does. However, now if the power button gets hit when it's in my pocket, it'll stay on indefinitely.

I love that on the Energy ROM, the start menu button not only opens the start menu, but closes it as well. It was ridiculous on the stock ROM when that wasn't the case, and the only way to get out of the start menu was to hit the "X" or the end button. Just seems more natural to hit the start button again.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Initial Impressions of TP2

WOW... That's a long post. I feel some of your pain. All I can say is that it does get better. I go to help my wife with her TP from time to time and get confused because I am now so used to my TP2. Learn to like its atributes and the other things will tend to dmiminish.
Thanks for sharing.
p.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: n/a
Carrier: sprint

domoarigato is a n00b

1) run android, all your problems will be washed away

2) check out the overclocking app, it is the best thing since sliced bread.

3) enjoy the phone
Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by domoarigato View Post

3) enjoy the phone
disagree with #1
Old 08-05-2010, 03:13 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

most of us have had these phones a year almost now..

the D pad you get used to..

so dont sync your contacts through exchange-gmail, its not neccessary, this isnt android.. however if you do, thats when u get the "company directory" tab in dialer..

theres a city database editor for weather tab.. however,tap your clock and add "my location" and you should get your city in weather...

theres a couple of solutions
Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff

ZoombarPlus helped with my scrolling problems. it changes it so that the zoombar on the bottom can scroll and select on screens that dont already use the zoombar for other functions like Opera or Excel.

Also add Conflipper Weather Database to get all US cities. It slows down the process of adding them since there are so many cities to load, but just type in your city name and it should show up after a little while

Also s2u2 does work and is actually a battery saver for the same reasons you mentioned. i have it set to turn off after 5 seconds if the screen is unlocked and if the proximity sensor is blocked it does not turn on at all, so if it's in my pocket the screen stays off permanently. You can even set it to unlock when the proximity sensor is unblocked so if you pull out your phone it will unlock automatically. But i consider it a must have for a power setup like yours

Last edited by kern417; 08-05-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Threadstarter

Brent212 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
so dont sync your contacts through exchange-gmail, its not neccessary, this isnt android.. however if you do, thats when u get the "company directory" tab in dialer..
The reason I do that is that it's far easier, IMO, to enter/edit contacts in gmail with a real mouse+keyboard than it is to do on the phone. I know an alternative is to use Outlook on a computer and sync with that, but I don't have Outlook on any of my computers, and I like not having to connect the phone to a computer to back up the contacts. Another huge benefit of syncing with my gmail contacts is that a large portion of them get updated automatically when I send/receive emails to/from them. Almost all my contacts in my phone have email addresses and yet I've never manually entered any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
however,tap your clock and add "my location" and you should get your city in weather...
I'm guessing that you're saying I can add my current location to the database, although I'm not sure if you're saying (1) to do that so that I can later access that location's weather when I'm not actually at that location, or if you're just saying that (2) I can see the weather info for wherever I'm at at a given time. If it's (1), then I don't think that works, as I just tried tapping the clock, then the "menu" button, then the "add location", then typing in "my location", and no results were found so I couldn't add a location. If it's (2), then I already am doing that, but that's not addressing the problem. I rarely want to know the current or near future weather data for the location I'm currently at. Most of the time I want to see what it's going to be like at some place I'm going for the weekend.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
V.I.P
Pocket PC: 3VO for me, EVO for wife
Carrier: on the Now Network™ from Sprint®

00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I think many TP2 users share your gripe. The TP2 got old to me after 4 or 5 months.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

For your email problem, check out flexmail. I had like 6 accounts going I think and was able to send from each one. I haven't used it because I've been on android. but now that I got my tp2 I am going to be installing it on there.

gl!

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domoarigato View Post

3) enjoy the phone
wow, useless post here,i never had that email problem, u can still set it to use the picker in the options

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2