PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

tryinghard is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Basics for a rookie

Hi,

I am non techie rookie and trying to get into the world of ROM's (Finally after 4 years, duh). Anyways, its better later than never. Nevertheless, I am trying to understand the jargon and have been able to understand some, but have a few questions to start with:

1. What is a radio
2. What is a stock
3. I have flashed Mighty ROM on my Sprint TP2 6.5 and it seems to be working, but I need to install a few more software, how do I do it
a.) World card reader
b.) Task manager (I see it in my settings, but not when I try to add it to my home page)

4. Every time I flash I ROM I believe I have to set up my email etc etc, is there an automated way to do it? someone told me its possible.

5. I believe after unlocking my device my warranty is gone (I have Sprint TEP), what do I need to do to restore to factory settings to get my warranty back.

If there is a link that explains basic jargon or other details then it would be very helpful.

Please help guys... Cheers...
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

monkeygod is keeping up the good workmonkeygod is keeping up the good workmonkeygod is keeping up the good work
Re: Basics for a rookie

1, 2, and 5 have all been addressed in the sticky section, above your posts along with all the basic jargons and a whole load of info on the world of ROM. Also, just an advice, you will definitely get more answers if you posted in the TP2 section instead of the actual ROM section as this is only specific for ROMs releases.

Last edited by monkeygod; 07-26-2010 at 11:23 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

tryinghard is a n00b

Thanks Monkeygod. I did see the posts above and saw a jargonlist in HSPL, but I cudn't figure out what Radio and stock really is, I do see that these temrms are referred a lot but not sure what they mean.

Similarly, I do not understand what does XDA_UC does, I did see it but couldn't make much out of the technical jargon.

With 5 you mean this thread? http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95375

Cheers...
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

monkeygod is keeping up the good workmonkeygod is keeping up the good workmonkeygod is keeping up the good work

Yep, post 3 on that thread for relocking your device when you need to send it in for warrant or take it to the Sprint Store to be looked at. As far as the rest, it's probably best if one of the more experience members here provide you with the answers as it could get complicated.

As far as installing software, just used file explorer (in your Tool Folder) to install the cabs (most of the apps will give you the option of either installing it on your device or sd card).

Last edited by monkeygod; 07-26-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Twins Fanatic
Pocket PC: LG G3 and HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

gspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIPgspitman is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to gspitman Send a message via Yahoo to gspitman

OK... here's the skinny

Radio = the software your phone uses to communicate with the Cell Towers

This can have a significant effect on signal strength/battery life and other performance factors for your phone.

Stock = Is the factory default software for your phone, so a "Stock ROM" would be the one that came on your phone, or an official upgrade released by the carrier/manufacturer

Most of this stuff is available in other threads, so PLEASE dig as deep as you can before asking... but if you still need questions answered there should always be someone who can help!

I may not have helped, but you can click "Thanks" anyway!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinghard View Post

1. What is a radio
2. What is a stock
3. I have flashed Mighty ROM on my Sprint TP2 6.5 and it seems to be working, but I need to install a few more software, how do I do it
a.) World card reader
b.) Task manager (I see it in my settings, but not when I try to add it to my home page)

4. Every time I flash I ROM I believe I have to set up my email etc etc, is there an automated way to do it? someone told me its possible.

5. I believe after unlocking my device my warranty is gone (I have Sprint TEP), what do I need to do to restore to factory settings to get my warranty back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspitman View Post
OK... here's the skinny

Radio = the software your phone uses to communicate with the Cell Towers

Stock = Is the factory default software for your phone, so a "Stock ROM" would be the one that came on your phone, or an official upgrade released by the carrier/manufacturer
3: whatever you are trying to install probably comes in a ".cab" file. Find the cab, plug your phone in in "disk mode" load up the app in your SD card, then unplug your phone and use the File Explorer to find the cab file on your SD card, click the cab and it will install.

the "Task Manager" doesn't install apps, it manages tasks, not sure what you're asking here.

4: There are some ways but I'd rather not go into specifics here when there are many threads on this. Search for "Sashimi" and "UC" as well as "PIM Backup"

5: Flash your "shipped ROM" found in your device's upgrades section.

XDA UC is an automated way of restoring settings/apps/stuff after you flash a new ROM, you basically load up your data in a certain way in a folder on your SD card called "XDA UC" and when you flash a new ROM cooked in a way to support this, it will automate reloading your settings.

Search it out and check it out.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

tryinghard is a n00b

Thanks guys, it was really helpful.