PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
**ATTENTION CHEFS** HTC "Enhancements" vs Performance

ATTENTION CHEFS!
I've been out of the Rom cooking scene for a while because I found 9 times out of 10, someone had already built something similar to what I wanted. So, thanks for that!

But lately, I feel like none of the current roms are really letting the TP2 reach its full potential.

I'm not sure if any of the big chefs have played with this idea yet, but wanted to throw it your way and see what you think...
I noticed the points that slow down my phone the most are the HTC "enhancements". I mean, we all know that Sense is a resource hog, but that's not even what I'm talking about. If I wanted to save a phone number, for example, and I click "save to contact", then click "new contact", I can start counting seconds go by as the phone sits and loads the HTC new contact screen. For a brief moment it seems to be frozen. This is true of any rom I've tried.

Yes, this new HTC contact screen is much more finger friendly than the stock MS one. But is it at the cost of efficiency? Its rather frustrating when you are taking down someone's phone number and make them wait for your phone to be ready to ask how to spell their name. I do this frequently when I meet contacts for work, and its enough to regret having a WinMo phone. The funny thing is, I never remember having this kind of problem with my WinMo devices before HTC started customizing the OS. I don't think WinMo is to blame for this.

The same is true of most of the HTC "enhancements", I've found. The volume screen, contact manager, notification screen, etc... all this stuff seems to slower to respond than their native MS counterparts, and it feels like I'm constantly waiting for the next thing to happen.

I recall a Touch Pro rom by DCD (who never got the recognition he deserved around here, IMO) that was about as barebones as barebones can be... and it was the FASTEST my Touch Pro ever was. I installed apps manually via cab files, and was extremely happy with it. But sadly, nothing like this exists for the Rhodium. Even the "clean" roms still seem to have all that HTC junk built in.
I understand many people like the way the HTC stuff looks- and I don't blame them. But I KNOW the hardware on this thing is capable of a more responsive experience than we're getting now, and I'd like to have that option! My old Touch Pro was noticeably more responsive and snappier than my Rhodium is- I even compared them side by side.

IMO, these customized UI screens that hostily take over basic functions of our devices are the culprit and have GOT TO GO!

Anyone feel the same way??
This post has been thanked 12 times.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

kidwolf908 is becoming a great contributor
Re: **ATTENTION CHEFS** HTC "Enhancements" vs Performance

Agree 100%. I HATE trying to call someone on this phone if I have to look through my contact list for the number. I also HATE trying to add contacts... soooo slowwww.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: keeping all:HTC6800+Touch Pro+TouchHD+Touch Pro2X2
Carrier: ORANGE

Maan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on repMaan76 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I totally agree and I already did some of what you just said , you can always disable HTC menu enhancement , just by playing with the registry key, you will get disabled.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maan76 View Post
I totally agree and I already did some of what you just said , you can always disable HTC menu enhancement , just by playing with the registry key, you will get disabled.
Some of it, like the notifications, can be disabled. But some of it, like the call history and new contact screens, can't AFAIK.

I'm not saying I want EVERYTHING HTC made gone- HTC Random Access, for example, really made the contacts menu easier to navigate without slowing anything down. Heck, I wouldn't mind having Sense as an option (if the dependencies on other "enhancements" could be removed, and I'm not sure they could). I just don't want the HTC alternatives to core features of my phone. Volume bar is another great example. Remember when it used to just be a little overlay in the top right corner, that wouldn't hide the screen you're looking at?
Now we've got this whole full-screen black thing that needs to be cleared to go back to what we were doing. I don't care if it is finger friendly- I'm using the freaking volume BUTTONS to adjust it!!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: US Cellular

slochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I for 1 would love to see a ROM with manila 2.5 still in it, and cookie as well, but without any of the other HTC bloat. I'm thinking something like this, but stripped of the bloat (and maybe using the new 2.18.02WV radio and 2.43 PRI from USCC).

Last edited by slochild; 07-19-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM
rdwing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

agree....please somebody, listen to this man!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

I couldnt agree more!!!! I for one never use nfl mobile, the software store, sprint music store ect. a rom with the bare essentials would be great then add the tweaks and what not to sense and im guessing you'd have one fast puppy!!!!!!!

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

so you guys hate the fact the YOU, Yourself, installed something??

the user wouldve chose to download a SENSE version of manila.. SENSE meaning HTC intergration.. the difference between 2.1 and 2.5 is even more integration of Sense in the Manila UI... so its your own fault if you have it..

one would have to look hard to find pre-Sense Roms, but they're there.. go get em if you want them... but as the Sense series grew(ie 2.1,2.5,2.6), so did the amount the HTC integrated throughout manila..

i think its rude to make a mass msg like this for CHEFS... they make what they want to make.. the fact that Chefs even put it up on a server for the masses to download is beyond gracious... theres plenty of Chefs who just make Roms for themselves and dont share..

so now someones making a post about "i like your ROMs, BUT.....!".. just seems foul to me... Learn how to make your own damn Roms and make the adjustments you feel is needed... but its a sad day when people who dont even have a clue what theyre doing, are making threads/demands to Chefs
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: US Cellular

slochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslochild is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

WHAT are you talking about? The OP said "I'm not sure if any of the big chefs have played with this idea yet, but wanted to throw it your way and see what you think...". How is that a "demand"? Other people say they agree it would be nice. I have a great deal of appreciation for those who share what they've made. It's awesome. But how is saying a change or two would be nice also saying that what people have shared is unappreciated and that it is demanded they do anything?
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

Gorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

FYI: Energy has Titanium ROMs that do not include HTC stuff. Not sure if other chefs do as well but that's the one I am using at the moment.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2