PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Captivate (GSM)
Carrier: AT&T

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the TP2/Tilt 2 wifi that weak?

I thought the stock Wifi finder might be subpar because it only shows the Wifi network in my home (dual band D-Link) and not any of the half dozen others I can see with my laptop. So, I installed WiFifofum and WifiMonster and same thing, just sees the one in my home (and only the one radio, not both). We have a second router in the guest house that is only about 30 feet further away and easily seen by the laptop with at least 3 bars. Why can't my Tilt 2 see anything beyond the interior of my home? I'm guessing it doesn't see the second channel because it is 5ghz, but certainly it should see some of the 2.4ghz networks around me.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Is the TP2/Tilt 2 wifi that weak?

the WiFi range on the TP2 is not as strong as that of a laptop computer and why should it be? if you have good 3G coverage I'd reccommend to just use that. i ditched my WiFi router after i found that its speeds were no faster than my 3G connection.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Miami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMiami_Son is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

That's the problem. Inside my home I'm lucky to get 1-2 bars and sometimes it's so bad it switches to Edge. Wifi works much better especially for web surfing and video. No problem with seeing and connecting to my in-home router, but if I can't pick up a Wifi (in my guest house) signal that is less than 50 feet away then what happens when I'm out and about looking for a free Wifi connection?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Your laptop's WiFi antenna is integrated into the LCD lid (goes around the frame). It's very likely that in terms of size, this antenna is greater than or equal to your TP2 WiFi chip... by a factor of 10 :P
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
So, I installed WiFifofum and WifiMonster.
so you bought WIFiFoFum?? and still didnt see any new networks? sucks to have paid for an app that didnt help ya any
Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
so you bought WIFiFoFum?? and still didnt see any new networks? sucks to have paid for an app that didnt help ya any
Bought? No, I found it free on the web somewhere. Did not know it is a paid app. And it did find my main Wifi in the house, but none of the others I know are nearby.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
Your laptop's WiFi antenna is integrated into the LCD lid (goes around the frame). It's very likely that in terms of size, this antenna is greater than or equal to your TP2 WiFi chip... by a factor of 10 :P
Yeah, I expect the laptop has a better ability to see other networks, just not a factor of 10 better.
My Incite was always good at finding hotspots, especially in airports. I hope my Tilt 2 is at least equal to that.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i don't have any of those wifi finder apps. but sometimes when playing around with my tp2 and when i turn on wifi and search for signal...i pick up the wifi from a few neighbors. and the closest house it at least 30ft away. so that means the htc native wifi app picks up signal beyond 30ft. also used wifi connection when i was in the Philippines a couple of months ago. in malls, i can be on the ground floor (or in the dining area located in the basment) of the mall, search for wifi using the phone's native wifi app, and pick up signal from a vendor 2-3 floors above me. but of course...the higher the floor, the weaker the signal.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:04 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
Bought? No, I found it free on the web somewhere. Did not know it is a paid app. And it did find my main Wifi in the house, but none of the others I know are nearby.
yes its a paid app.. http://www.aspecto-software.com/rw/a...fum/index.html .. stealing is not nice!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
yes its a paid app...stealing is not nice!
I didn't steal it, I swear. The cab was in a link in another thread. It never asked for registration or said anything about being a trial. No matter, I uninstalled it because I like WifiMonster better. I don't use cracked software (and we don't allow it on the forums I mod).

Edit: Apparently it is free for personal use, but donations are welcomed. From the developer's website: "Also, you must purchase a copy per device if you are using WiFiFoFum in your business or for any commercial work."

Last edited by Miami_Son; 07-18-2010 at 02:47 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2