PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: US Cellular

Vaudou is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What makes a ROM slow?

So I've tried a lot of the ROM's here (CDMA), and it seems that some are faster than others. What I want to know is what makes a ROM fast or slow? Comparing NRG's GTX Sense ROM and XYC's ANA ROM, both have very similar layouts, yet (to me at least) ANA ROM seems to be faster (note I'm talking about each right after flashing and all the necessities have been tended too; i.e. provisioning, xda_uc, quickgps, etc.) than EnergyGTX. I know each have different apps/utilities installed, but both look the exact same in layout just with a bit modified taskbars/slider/icons, etc. Are these factors what make a ROM fast or slow or are there more in depth factors that determine a ROM's speed (like the programming, etc.)? I want to know this because I want to be able to have a simple, yet sexy looking ROM, that is fast. Yet every ROM I've tried seems to be laggy on the home screen, or takes a bit to load a lot of apps, or is slow at transitioning, stuff like that. Is there anyway to change certain things in a ROM to make it faster, or is the "slowness" from the phone/OS itself? Sorry if I'm a bit ambiguous, ask and I'll clear any details up. Thanks for help in advance!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 PM
PPC Geek's writer
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy 4G
Carrier: tmobile

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to pixelpower
Re: What makes a ROM slow?

Ok here a list of various things that make a ROM slow.
1) To many programs running at the same time on homescreen .
2) To many graphics rich icons slow down the processor.
3) Taskmanager is not working properly , so memory leak occurs which will slow phone over time.
4) To many programs intalled on device memory.
The fastest ROMs will be the ones with the least amount of programs intalled. Sure you have to download and install the missing programs on your storage card, but your phone will run faster. As far as making or modifing your ROM , you have to learn a bit of programming. If your interested ppcgeeks has a ROM school section. Good luck!!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: SPC

Zing Zing is becoming a great contributor

HTC Sense UI makes a ROM slower. period.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Vaudou is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelio rios View Post
Ok here a list of various things that make a ROM slow.
1) To many programs running at the same time on homescreen .
2) To many graphics rich icons slow down the processor.
3) Taskmanager is not working properly , so memory leak occurs which will slow phone over time.
4) To many programs intalled on device memory.
The fastest ROMs will be the ones with the least amount of programs intalled. Sure you have to download and install the missing programs on your storage card, but your phone will run faster. As far as making or modifing your ROM , you have to learn a bit of programming. If your interested ppcgeeks has a ROM school section. Good luck!!
Alright, well maybe that's one of my problems, i always say install to device not to SD :/ and I usually am pulled into the detailed icons and such... I'll look into the ROM schooling, that sounds really interesting. Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaudou View Post
Alright, well maybe that's one of my problems, i always say install to device not to SD :/ and I usually am pulled into the detailed icons and such... I'll look into the ROM schooling, that sounds really interesting. Thanks for the help!!
There's mixed opinions on installing apps to device vs. SD... Here's the arguments behind each:

"You should install to SD because..."
Installing to device takes up storage space on your device, thus making more files for the OS to sort through to retrieve the needed file(s)

"You should install to device because..."
It takes the processor longer to read program files from SD as opposed to system memory, thus increasing the time it takes for apps to process commands

Personally, I install everything to the device. The TP2 has a ton of space on there, and I don't feel like messing something up cuz I installed an app to SD that can only run from sysem memory...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing Zing View Post
HTC Sense UI makes a ROM slower. period.
i couldn't agree more. ever since i disabled sense and just decided to use titanium my TP2 with mightyROM FF has been much stable and smoother and with a lot more free RAM with no SODs
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Arterion is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Arterion Send a message via MSN to Arterion Send a message via Yahoo to Arterion

Installing them on a TP2 usually makes them slow.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Vaudou is a n00b

I'm pretty good with computers, and this being a "Pocket PC," I assumed the more things you put on your device (like the hard drive) would take it longer to reach the files it needs to launch an app. But I also didn't want to do what Kliptik said, I don't wanna accidentally install something to the SD that NEEDS to be on the device, because I flash so much, I just hit "Install" when anything pops-up because I always install the same things over and over.

I think I'll either take a look at a clean ROM, such as XYC's, and do my own installing/skinning, or look into the ROM Schooling and take some of my spare summer time to learn to create my own ROM. Maybe this is the beginning of a new chef?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2