PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2, x50v
Carrier: Sprint

stcardinal is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
worth Getting the Touch Pro 2 for Sprint?

I'm upgrading myself to a smart phone finally and I'm trying to decide if I should wait for a new Windows Phone 7/Android2.2 phone or the Touch Pro2.

My concern with the TP2 is the weak hardware specs and all the talks of it lagging or having to wipe and free up RAM.

I'm also interesting in using it as amy GPS, but I've been reading about how it has 30 second lags or would freeze up.

With all that said, is it better to just wait until later this year and hope that Sprint comes out with something better or pull the gun and get this slightly outdated phone that's the size of a brick?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: worth Getting the Touch Pro 2 for Sprint?

I don't think it is worth it. With custom ROM they have eliminated the the lagging with the gps and the ROM. But with so many better phone on the horizon why waste your upgrade on the touch pro 2. I am personally using the 06/28/10 Plutonium Cookie Rom and I am loving it.

Please don't forget to thank me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: us cellular

hunter7773 is keeping up the good workhunter7773 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcardinal View Post
I'm upgrading myself to a smart phone finally and I'm trying to decide if I should wait for a new Windows Phone 7/Android2.2 phone or the Touch Pro2.

My concern with the TP2 is the weak hardware specs and all the talks of it lagging or having to wipe and free up RAM.

I'm also interesting in using it as amy GPS, but I've been reading about how it has 30 second lags or would freeze up.

With all that said, is it better to just wait until later this year and hope that Sprint comes out with something better or pull the gun and get this slightly outdated phone that's the size of a brick?

Thanks.

if ur goin to upgrade. id say the htc evo on sprint. was checkin out the other day gota say damn luv the screen speed and all.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

stcardinal is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter7773 View Post
if ur goin to upgrade. id say the htc evo on sprint. was checkin out the other day gota say damn luv the screen speed and all.
My friend has the EVO and she hates it because it's kind of buggy and she has to recharge it every night.

I'm just wondering if Froyo or WP7 is any better or if there's really any more life to the TP2 going past 2011. Last thing I'd want is to pay $200 for a phone that's super outdated next year.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

stcardinal is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
I don't think it is worth it. With custom ROM they have eliminated the the lagging with the gps and the ROM. But with so many better phone on the horizon why waste your upgrade on the touch pro 2. I am personally using the 06/28/10 Plutonium Cookie Rom and I am loving it.
Thanks fellow 9er fan. That's good to know that the GPS lagging has been address at least.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

My TP2 is solid, no resets and has to be recharged every single night. I use the phone, email and other functions heavily throughout the day. Win7 or whatever name it ends up with will not for the foreseeable future support an application I use extensively throughout the day; hence, there really is no reason for me to stay with it. With that in mind, I ordered the EVO today via Sprint Telesquirt, The cost came up to: $360.69, which includes the device, car charger and screen protector. The slight problem is that the application I am using is not supported by Android, but they developer is beginning to work on supporting it.

The GPS function on my TP2 had a lag of 1 or so seconds and that is it.Overall I consider it to be an excellent device.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

fastmike is keeping up the good workfastmike is keeping up the good work

Which plan are you on? My SERO plan is keeping me on the TP2
Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

stcardinal is a n00b

I am on the SERO too, but I don't mind changing if there are better phone options. You think WP7 or android will ever be available for SERO users?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Arrive

kuluminati is keeping up the good workkuluminati is keeping up the good work

OP,

If you want to get a TP2 and not burn your upgrade, buy one used. I did. I paid less than Sprint wants for a new one on contract. I still have my upgrade for when something better comes along this fall or next spring.

Also this is my 4th smart phone and I have had to plug them all in at night to charge. I use my phone for businesss use as well so I receive email on it constantly, but its something I have just gotten used to.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Keep in mind if you're concerned about battery life, you will basically be on a computer and phone together, if you're expecting 3-4 day battery life you will be upset with any phone you get. As far as the TP2 is concerned, I would look to get one used, and seeing you're on Sprint, get the insurance as soon as it's activated so if there are any problems, you're covered. But be very careful when buying a used phone, make sure to check with Sprint it's not a bad ESN, etc. And going used you'll save your upgrade to see what else comes out and until then you'll have a rock solid phone that runs without issues, depending on the ROM you're using.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2