PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

cloudtp2 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
leaving the contry for a few weeks, need help on any tips how to use the phone.

hey guys im leaving to Europe next week. im looking for a way to still use the phone without getting charged like crazy by sprint. what r some of the steps i have to do??
im thinking of using skype, but i cant find the cap anywhere to install.
what do u think i should do?
thx
Old 06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

aiiee is keeping up the good workaiiee is keeping up the good work
Re: leaving the contry for a few weeks, need help on any tips how to use the phone.

Verizon has a $65/mo unlimited data plan for international travelers, if Sprint does, get that. Also get Fring, it will allow you to use Skype from your mobile. Also this Engadget article has some good ideas.

Last edited by aiiee; 06-27-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Airtel

RexRzr is a n00b
Re: leaving the contry for a few weeks, need help on any tips how to use the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudtp2 View Post
hey guys im leaving to Europe next week. im looking for a way to still use the phone without getting charged like crazy by sprint. what r some of the steps i have to do??
im thinking of using skype, but i cant find the cap anywhere to install.
what do u think i should do?
thx
Humm...I guess you could just put a local SIM in the slot and get good to go...like I'm doing in my country (i.e. unless you're roaming all around Europe).
Old 06-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=328
skype is here

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hate to say it but, search. We need a sticky on this topic. Anyway, the way to do this IMHO is to contact Sprint:

Inside USA: 1-888-226-7212

Outside USA (toll free): 001-817-698-4199

A get free SIM to put into the phone. They will then charge you $2 a day for data pretty much anywhere, and then you can use Skype Mobile. Regular calls run .5-1.5$, but you just look at the missed calls and call them back via Skype....

If you liked this response, please thank.

If you think we need a stickie on the topic tell me as I keep writing the same stuff....
Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Hate to say it but, search. We need a sticky on this topic. Anyway, the way to do this IMHO is to contact Sprint:

Inside USA: 1-888-226-7212

Outside USA (toll free): 001-817-698-4199

A get free SIM to put into the phone. They will then charge you $2 a day for data pretty much anywhere, and then you can use Skype Mobile. Regular calls run .5-1.5$, but you just look at the missed calls and call them back via Skype....

If you liked this response, please thank.

If you think we need a stickie on the topic tell me as I keep writing the same stuff....
I might agree with you if you had say, more than 200 posts......
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

if youre gonna use voip, sprint has a $40/mo. unlimited international data plan which gets pro-rated to $2/day if you dont use it for a full month

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

cloudtp2 is just getting started

thx for the response guys, i got skype going, but i just realized i will still be using data. (for skype too). im going to call sprint and see what they suggest,
im only leaving for 2 weeks, i wont be calling mush, i just need to be able to call or receive calls or text messages. and this is only a 1 time thing. i was invited and decided to go.
i tried using search, read alittle bit of the post but didnt find skype anyware, also seems like skype took down the link on there site. something so do with them no supporting it anymore or something.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

aiiee is keeping up the good workaiiee is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudtp2 View Post
thx for the response guys, i got skype going, but i just realized i will still be using data. (for skype too). im going to call sprint and see what they suggest,
im only leaving for 2 weeks, i wont be calling mush, i just need to be able to call or receive calls or text messages. and this is only a 1 time thing. i was invited and decided to go.
i tried using search, read alittle bit of the post but didnt find skype anyware, also seems like skype took down the link on there site. something so do with them no supporting it anymore or something.
which makes you all the more thankful for nrfitchett4 's link yes? I know I am!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:10 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

depending on what time of the day you leave...you have to call sprint at least 3-4 hours before you leave to go to the airport....at least that's what they told me when i went out of the country back in april. rep said so that i dont get charged for the day(s) im still in the US. it takes at least 15 minutes to provision your phone for it. and you gotta make sure you have the sprint supplied sim card in your phone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2