PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 05:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

mta2 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using the phone outside the US on GSM Network

I will be going to Jamaica this weekend for vacation I need to know what I need to do to my sprint tp2 to work on the gsm network there.

Can I just buy a prepaid sim card and use it there?

Do I need to do anything to the phone such as unlocking a feature before I leave?

Please let me know.

Thank you
Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Re: Using the phone outside the US on GSM Network

The Sprint TP2 is already unlocked for NON-US GSM use and is quad band + WCDMA 2100. So yes, you should be fine buying a prepaid GSM SIM for Jamaica... I dunno the situation in Jamaica but there are plenty of websites that you can search to find out what the GSM service is like there, what carriers operate and on what bands and roughly the rates. You may find deals on ebay and you can go to www.prepaidgsm.net for a good forum that discusses these issues.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

You can also use the Sprint international service and they provide a card. I have advocated the use of this service as you can get data for $2 a day and use Skype on the phone... very cheap.

Inside USA: 1-888-226-7212

Outside USA (toll free): 001-817-698-4199
Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 Metro Pcs WAP MMS Youtube
Carrier: Metro PCS

pimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mta2 View Post
I will be going to Jamaica this weekend for vacation I need to know what I need to do to my sprint tp2 to work on the gsm network there.

Can I just buy a prepaid sim card and use it there?

Do I need to do anything to the phone such as unlocking a feature before I leave?

Please let me know.

Thank you
you'll just need a local SIM, they have digicel and a 2nd major carrier over there, when you get the sim card, be sure to change your network settings from CDMA to GSM

HTC's I have Full Flashed To Metro. (I define Full Flash as Phone, Text, Picture Message, Email, and youtube, GPS on some) Diamond,Touch Pro,Imagio, Touch Pro 2
I BUY SOME BROKEN PHONES TOO!! PM ME
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htctp2
Carrier: sprint

cruz714 is a n00b

I use the unlimited data internationally all the time. I use the "chat" access on sprint international website section to enable and then end the data plan... works great...$40/month for unlimited data (pro-rated for days used). I also use skype for calls and texting (sprint still doesn't support out-bound text international). Inbound texts no problem. Leave your phone in global mode of operation. It will find what it needs. Don't forget about global smart dialing set-up, works good. Make sure to talk to sprint to ensure you are set for international the first time.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: at&t

djteotancolis is just getting started

the phone comes unlocked so feel free to use i've used it in many countries and had no problem
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Slightly off-topic, but...

Also, don't let your phone out of your sight and put a password/PIN on it so when it does get lifted from your hands/pocket/hotel room thieves don't have access to all your personal info.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I use it in Malaysia and Singapore with no problem. Be sure to get a prepaid SIM card that has GPRS(thats for data).
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Bigsmith is just getting started
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz714 View Post
I use the unlimited data internationally all the time. I use the "chat" access on sprint international website section to enable and then end the data plan... works great...$40/month for unlimited data (pro-rated for days used). I also use skype for calls and texting (sprint still doesn't support out-bound text international). Inbound texts no problem. Leave your phone in global mode of operation. It will find what it needs. Don't forget about global smart dialing set-up, works good. Make sure to talk to sprint to ensure you are set for international the first time.
This is great info. Could you elaborate a bit on running Skype on the Sprint TP2? Are you using the 3.0 Skype client? Are you running WM 6.1 or 6.5? (I've heard of problems with 6.5 and Skype) Do you use the audioroute app (to get the audio in the earpiece), a BT set, or speakerphone? How is the call quality? Any tricks to getting Skype working well on the TP2? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Bigsmith; 06-22-2010 at 10:03 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2