PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I stick with stock ROM (6.5) ?

From my Axim days, I used to flashing a new ROM every 5-6 months. Of course that was mainly due to the fact that original Axim was running WM5, so the only way to get the goodies on 6.1 was through custom ROMs. They (Footbal's and Lenny's) were pretty good.

Well, from what I read, Sprint's stock ROM - at least the 6.1 - is supposed to be excellent, at least from stability standpoint. The 6.5 that shipped with my phone is also pretty stable, from what I can see.

To me, the main reason to flash the ROM would be not to get some cutting edge eye candy. I would flash if it offered improvements in stability, speed, battery performance, memory management and available space without any nasty surprises.

So, what do you think ? Should I go the flash route, or should I just tweak the stock system ? Again - I am used to flashing custom ROMs, and don't need to be convinced that this may be a great improvement. The question is, will it be in this case.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Should I stick with stock ROM (6.5) ?

Flash away and find out for your self, if you have been running 6.5 already Personally I think you should. If you want stability I would stick with the less eye candy ROM's and should be pretty pleased.

There is not going to be any right or wrong answer to your question.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

I've heard lots of bad things about the stock Sprint 6.5 ROM, but I'm on Verizon so I dont know from personal experience. I DO know that I've always used MightyROM (since my TP1) and have never had anything unstable about them. If you want less eye candy, go with the MightyROM Official. Very stable, excellent battery life, very fluid and user friendly, not loaded with all kinds of bloatware... Mighty gives a stock feel with a very stable platform to whatever you want to do with it.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

As far as improvement, it all depends, although I would say yes. If you're happy with 6.1 you can use Good2life's clean up cab which does a lot of mods to the stock ROM, but I don't believe it works well on the 6.5 (don't quote me on that). There's a bunch of very stable 6.1 and 6.5 ROMs out there without tons of eye candy that will give you what you're looking for. Mighty's, X's, even Malatestas (although his hasn't been updated in months, but is rock solid). Take a glance through the upgrades forum and look around, but you know you're going to need to flash to see for yourself what works.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I don't dislike eye candy - just the opposite. I just wouldn't trade stability, performance, battery life or features to get it.

I may try one of Mighty ROMs to see what I get... once I receive my storage card (hopefully tomorrow).

Is there a link to stock Sprint 6.5 ROM on this forum in case I need to revert ?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amamba View Post
I don't dislike eye candy - just the opposite. I just wouldn't trade stability, performance, battery life or features to get it.

I may try one of Mighty ROMs to see what I get... once I receive my storage card (hopefully tomorrow).

Is there a link to stock Sprint 6.5 ROM on this forum in case I need to revert ?
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91940 <-- Link to stock ROM thread

If you do want eye candy, then you can check out Mighty's Special Edition or Full Force. Bith are very stable and a little more pleasing to look at. I've also heard that Mr. X builds very stable good-looking ROMs, though Ive never flashed one.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint TouchPro2, Mogul (htc 6800), Toshiba e335

CalcMan is a n00b

I just got my TP2 (sprint) a few weeks ago and had nothing but problems with the Stock rom, freezing up, having to soft-reset a few times a day, even had to hard-reset it when it locked and the pin I had set to lock it no longer worked. I switched to MightyRom about a week ago, and its been running massively better, it looks pretty much Sprint stock (minus some sprint special programs). I'd definitely recommend using a custom rom.

Last edited by CalcMan; 06-11-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK. Will try. You guys are great.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work

Mighty gave me back an extra 100 mb free storage space on the phone itself . too bad free ram doesn't really improve much...
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
Mighty gave me back an extra 100 mb free storage space on the phone itself . too bad free ram doesn't really improve much...
But it does, it give you more room to install more stuff. the less you have to install on the SD card and the more you can install on the main memory the better off you are.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2