PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

snowmaiden11 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opera Mini v Opera Mobile

When I go through this site, I'll see some people really plugging away for Opera Mobile while others really like Opera Mini. I've read up on the differences on the Opera website as well as on Wikipedia.

So here's my question - why do some of you like one over the other? I'm running Opera Mobile right now but I'm interested in finding out whether trying Opera Mini is worth my time.

Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff
Re: Opera Mini v Opera Mobile

Because Opera Mini is much faster at loading pages. Sometimes it takes a while to connect but it loads most pages in less than 5 seconds. But with the speed you lose the more desktop like feel which Opera Mobile offers. I use both Opera Mini primarily and I use Opera Mobile for sites that require flash.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

opera mini works much faster.
only 2 drawbacks to opera mini:
1. no flash, so for youtube I use opera mobile
2. does not open links properly from other apps. There is a work around for this. This program allows you to use opera mini5 as your default, and also to be able to use any browser on a case by case basis to open your links. Works perfectly, and will copy and paste your link in the browsers address window.
Attached Files
File Type: cab JZSmartMort_v1.6.8.cab (1.31 MB, 11 views) Click for barcode!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Opera Mini doesn't support the zoombar does it?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 PM

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliptik View Post
Opera Mini doesn't support the zoombar does it?
no, but I've never used it, so I don't miss it. And the autozoom on opera mini has been flawless for me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
opera mini works much faster.
only 2 drawbacks to opera mini:
There are actually many more than two problems with Opera Mini, nevertheless I use it for 95% of my browsing on my phone(s), simply because it is a billion times faster, well, ok, not a billion X but it seems that way sometimes...

Here's one major problem: it only has two zoom levels, and only one of which yields actually readable text/pages. There are many instances where you want to zoom in on an image or a part of a webpage (e.g. to check off those tiny little checkbox, like "remember me" when logging in) -- can't do it... most modern mobile browser now have infinitely variable zoom, but not Opera Mini...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
There are actually many more than two problems with Opera Mini, nevertheless I use it for 95% of my browsing on my phone(s), simply because it is a billion times faster, well, ok, not a billion X but it seems that way sometimes...

Here's one major problem: it only has two zoom levels, and only one of which yields actually readable text/pages. There are many instances where you want to zoom in on an image or a part of a webpage (e.g. to check off those tiny little checkbox, like "remember me" when logging in) -- can't do it... most modern mobile browser now have infinitely variable zoom, but not Opera Mini...
if you check on the right side of your device, towards the bottom, there is this stick that slides out called a "stylus". works great for those boxes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2