PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
foxmx813

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
World Coverage

I am going on a cruise soon. I was wondering what everyone recommend doing. Or exactly what to do. I have read about using different pre paid sim cards but im not exactly sure. I have verizon. I am going to Bermuda and Bahamas. Should I just call verizon and have them activate my sim or should I do something different? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: World Coverage

first...read this for getting your phone unlocked with big red
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91599

second....i suggest you just buy a local pre-paid sim card at the country where you're going to be at. international roaming charges aren't cheap for voice calls. data is a different story. check the local carrier to find out how and how much they charge for data using their sim card. or you can check with verizon if they have international data.

enjoy your vacation!!

edit:
btw...if you use data during your trip, you're connection would only be EDGE.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
foxmx813

Thanks.

Called Big Red, Voice seems a little on the pricey side. The can pro rate there world data plan, it works out to be something like 2.50$ a day I believe they said. That seems pretty reasonable.

I will just have to use my new google voice to check voicemails i guess.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

WiFi and Skype = really cheap.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jj14x is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmx813 View Post
I will just have to use my new google voice to check voicemails i guess.
How does that work? (I have Google voice - but not sure how to check my regular voicemail using that for free - when travelling overseas)
Old 06-03-2010, 05:05 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
How does that work? (I have Google voice - but not sure how to check my regular voicemail using that for free - when travelling overseas)
you can log in to your google voice account and play the message from your inbox. you'd be able to check your gv vmail using your phone if you have international roaming...and as mentioned, the per minute on that is a little steep. even if you use a local pre-paid sim card, you'd still be calling your US based number so that particular carrier's international calling fee applies.

Last edited by Mojary; 06-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jj14x is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
you can log in to your google voice account and play the message from your inbox.
ah - ok - that I knew
I thought there was a way to check my regular (sprint or landline) voicemail using GV. (most people still call me on my non-GV lines)

Thanks anyway
Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
foxmx813

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
ah - ok - that I knew
I thought there was a way to check my regular (sprint or landline) voicemail using GV. (most people still call me on my non-GV lines)

Thanks anyway
I believe it works in reverse also. I have my google voice number foward calls to my cell. I think if i get a call on my cell i can still check the voicemail on google voice? not sure just got it a couple days ago.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmx813 View Post
I believe it works in reverse also. I have my google voice number foward calls to my cell. I think if i get a call on my cell i can still check the voicemail on google voice? not sure just got it a couple days ago.
yes you can...because if you set up your phone and gv correctly, your gv vmail would become your phone's vmail.

like i mentioned...you can check it using your phone when you're out of the country...granted that you activated international roaming with your carrier...but the roaming charges apply of course. if checking it using a local pre-paid sim card in the country you are visiting, then the international calling rate applies when you call your gv number to check your vmail.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
foxmx813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
yes you can...because if you set up your phone and gv correctly, your gv vmail would become your phone's vmail.

like i mentioned...you can check it using your phone when you're out of the country...granted that you activated international roaming with your carrier...but the roaming charges apply of course. if checking it using a local pre-paid sim card in the country you are visiting, then the international calling rate applies when you call your gv number to check your vmail.
I may be wrong but. Instead of calling your number to check the voicemail, cant you just play them from the website?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2