PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Texting vs. Battery Life. Share your input please

Theres been some discussion in the Mighty ROM thread about the amount of texts per day and battery life.
Its pretty much known that the more texts you have saved, the slower sense will respond..as well as the touch PRO.

I don't think at all this is a Mighty ROM issue as I have had similar experiences on my Touch Pro with various other cooked and stock ROM's.

So, lets discuss how many texts per day you send/recieve and your battery life, which ROM you are on (please include custom ROM, 6.1, 6.5x, etc) and it will also help to know how old your battery is. Also, how does your phone behave after you accumulate a certain number of texts and how many.

Thanks,

David

Edit:
Almost forgot, I'm running Mighty ROM FF 6.5.x
I send and receive about 30 to 40 texts per day and delete them all about twice a week...usually when things start slowing down. My phone is about 2 months old and was brand new when I got it.
I have push email through activesync/exchange to load emails as they are received and have weather updates set for every 12 hours with location services turned on.
I have an airave at home so my reception at home is very good but I work in a large hospital where recetion is marginal (typical for CDMA in a large solid building). I usually do from 1 to 10 calls per day and use data services about an hour total of active use. I rarely use wifi but use BT frequently with my Moto S9-HD headset to listen to music which totals anywhere from one to several hours a day.
My battery life is anywhere from 20 to 36 hours from unplugging to plugging back in (at 20% battery left)

Last edited by DaveTN; 06-03-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Texting vs. Battery Life. Share your input please

I normally send/receive 20 texts per day, but I immediately delete them. There are never more than 5 messages in my text inbox, sent folder, or deleted folder. It seems to speed things up as well.

I normally can go 2 days without a charge (full at 8:00 AM, empty at 6:00 PM next day)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:32 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

when i first got the phone in november last year...the first two months pretty much i was burning it up with sending and receiving text messages. if i went by just using text messages...im with sammich about battery life....could go 24 to 36 hours on a full charge. at one point i had probably over 200 messages between my sent and received sms folder but didn't notice any slow down on my unit. unless i just didn't care to notice as long as i was able to do what i needed to do...hehehe.

@sammich....you changed your name!...the only difference is that i now know how to say your name..hehehe.

edit:
running on stock 6.1 btw.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Last edited by Mojary; 06-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've got a ROM I build with calk's kitchen that is 6.5.x and after about ~1100 messages total (in all folders) the phone will start to lock up very frequently, manila will crash often, the phone will get the sleep of death for a few minutes, etc etc. It basically becomes immediately unusable. If I archive them all using myphone and sync, everything gets better again.

I get about 36 hours of battery life, and send maybe 30-50 messages a day.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Well I'm a very heavy user on my TP2, so I'll get a full day of battery life out of it with the following:

150-200 texts/day
5-6 hours of WMP music
30-60 minutes of Opera browsing
weather update very 60 minutes
twitter update every 60 minutes
facebook update every 2 hours
two different email accounts syncing every 60 minutes
2-3 hours of wifi tethering

I know thats a bit more info than you asked for Dave, but I figured it'd explain why I dont get 36 hours liek some of these other guys...

After I get about 500 textw, I notice a significant lag in Sense. The text conversations start freezing on exit at about 50 texts (doesn't always tho), and the more texts in the conversation the longer the lock-up.

Running:

MightyROM FF (6.5.X)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc touch pro 2
Carrier: verizon

bigrel22 is just getting started
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/18.684; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliptik
Well I'm a very heavy user on my TP2, so I'll get a full day of battery life out of it with the following:

150-200 texts/day
5-6 hours of WMP music
30-60 minutes of Opera browsing
weather update very 60 minutes
twitter update every 60 minutes
facebook update every 2 hours
two different email accounts syncing every 60 minutes
2-3 hours of wifi tethering

I know thats a bit more info than you asked for Dave, but I figured it'd explain why I dont get 36 hours liek some of these other guys...

After I get about 500 textw, I notice a significant lag in Sense. The text conversations start freezing on exit at about 50 texts (doesn't always tho), and the more texts in the conversation the longer the lock-up.

Running:

MightyROM FF (6.5.X)
Wow, i dont even get a full 8hrs of battery with heavy usage. What am i doing wrong?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Daikazetatsu is becoming a great contributor

I use NRGZ's new MaxSense ROM and send about 150+ text with maybe a couple minutes of call and web a day. My phone usually dies around 5 without a charge
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrel22 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/18.684; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Wow, i dont even get a full 8hrs of battery with heavy usage. What am i doing wrong?
MightyROM Full Force FTW!!!! I'm telling ya I've always had good battery life on Mightys ROMs but this newest Full Force ROM is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8

I'm using a completely custom ROM that I built myself using osKitchen. Here is my usage stats (apprx):

40-50 txts a day (over 1700 stored in phone, all threaded)
30 minutes of web browsing
1-2 hours of music
Hourly weather updates

I'm about to re-activate my seven account to see how it affects battery life (seven automatically pushes e-mail to your phone).

On a full charge I'll get about 24-36 hours realistically, 48 hours if there are slow days.

BTW, to all those experiencing lag with messaging, on my ROM I experience NONE! its amazing how fast everything responds when it isn't being slowed down by sense. My phone hasn't froze in weeks, hasn't been reset in weeks, and idles around 45% RAM usage. 85/185MB Free. These phones just work when you get rid of sense UI. *edit* forgot to mention spb MS.

Last edited by burtonsnow8; 06-05-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff

I think i was one of the first people to comment about sense lagging in the MightyRom thread. i asked because it got to the point where it would take up to 10 min to load sense after restart, and if s2u2 locked the phone it would freeze the startup so i had to keep the backlight was on until the process was over.

but i will admit this is for a reason. i keep sent and received texts for 2 weeks and currently have about 1500 stored on my phone (about 750 in inbox and sent) plus i have my emails synced for the past 30 days. but this definitely causes a lag in any rom (i found this issue with MightyRom Official and Full force, Mr. X rom, and now with the BigMaxSense Rom for Verizon).

I am so used to LG phones that delete your texts automatically that the actual action of deleting texts makes me nervous...i always feel like i'm going to need to look back at an old text or email for verification later on, and its nice to know a lot of info is right at my fingertips (even though it may take a while to get there). It just sucks that though that actual physical storage effect of sms and email is can be low, it'll have a more drastic effect on phone speed.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
battery life, texts