PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

otterit is keeping up the good workotterit is keeping up the good workotterit is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint SMTP

I had to reload my phone today and the device is no longer allowing me to send email through my corporate SMTP. I am receiving the following error:

The message 'test' was not sent and has been moved to the Drafts folder.

The server returned the following error message:

554 Service unvailable; Client host [17x-1xx-117-1xx.pools.spcsdns.net] blocked using Barracuda Reputation; http://bbl.barracudacentral.com/q.cg...xx.1xx.117.1xx

I can't figure out who "System Administrator" is: Sprint, My ISP, the addressee ISP? This account worked *before* the reload.

Sprint has already reset my data services.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Re: Sprint SMTP

Your corporate server is blocking your Sprint-assigned IP based on what appears to be a subscription to Barracuda's RBL service. You should use authentication for your corporate SMTP server, which should allow you to connect even from "untrusted" networks. Generally these days mail admins set it up so your POP/IMAP username and password are also used for the SMTP server, to keep things simple. Pocket Outlook offers a checkbox for "use same login settings as incoming mail server". Give it a shot, and check with your corporate IT folks for the correct SMTP settings.

One more edit: at least *in theory* using authenticated SMTP should allow you to connect from anywhere and bypass the RBL. If your corporate email administrator configured things properly...

Last edited by haus; 05-30-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added Barracuda info
Old 05-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If your not using authenticated SMTP you shouldn't be allowed to send at all. The fact you could in the past and you're blocked by being on an RBL means your company email is probably setup very insecure.

You should contact your corporate Email admin to be sure the server is not setup as an open relay and that they only allowed authenticated SMTP connections. Otherwise they risk being exploited by spammers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Your corporate server is blocking your Sprint-assigned IP based on what appears to be a subscription to Barracuda's RBL service. You should use authentication for your corporate SMTP server, which should allow you to connect even from "untrusted" networks. Generally these days mail admins set it up so your POP/IMAP username and password are also used for the SMTP server, to keep things simple. Pocket Outlook offers a checkbox for "use same login settings as incoming mail server". Give it a shot, and check with your corporate IT folks for the correct SMTP settings.

One more edit: at least *in theory* using authenticated SMTP should allow you to connect from anywhere and bypass the RBL. If your corporate email administrator configured things properly...
Well said
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

otterit is keeping up the good workotterit is keeping up the good workotterit is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post

I *am* using authentication for accessing the server. I have the correct SMTP settings. I just can't figure out why/where I am being blocked. As I mentioned in the original post, this worked *before* reloading the phone. (Side note: My other SMTP/POP3 mailbox works perfectly.)

This is a first for me. STRANGE.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

From the link: "You may be utilizing a dynamic IP address which was previously utilized by a known spammer."

The Sprint IP address you had while connecting to your corporate SMTP server is on the RBL. Here's the thing...when you're using authenticated SMTP, RBL checks should be bypassed because authenticated SMTP is designed to provide you with credentials. So my guess, based on not a lot of detailed info, is that your mail system is misconfigured to continue using the RBL despite your authentication.

Unfortunately diagnosing email problems can be quite a challenge. You could try turning your phone off for a few minutes, then back on, and see if you get a different IP address (maybe you got an unlucky address and the whole netblock isn't in the RBL). DCHP leases are sometimes sticky, so maybe when you reset your phone you got assigned to a new block that's in the RBL...worth a shot.

Bottom line, though, when you're authenticated, you should be allowed to send from any network.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2