PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 10:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

combatstang is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Out of country with TP2?

Hey guys as title says, going out of the country on vacation.. I have a verizon TP2..

How will I be able to use my phone?

Sorry for the newb question, just never been out of the country before. Called verizon and they weren't much help. told me its going to be like 2 dollars a minute and a crazy amount for texts and such..

Thanks,

Old 05-29-2010, 01:28 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Sprint

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Out of country with TP2?

all you have to do is buy a local sim where you're going...pop it in...set your network to GSM and you're good to go. what verizon told you is what they charge if you use their international roaming.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: TELUS

dj_mysha is keeping up the good workdj_mysha is keeping up the good work

I have the TP2 on TELUS in Canada and it's a world phone, just like the Verizon version, meaning that it can operate in either CDMA or GSM mode. I can't speak for how Verizon operates, but on order to use a non-TELUS SIM in my phone, I first had to SIM unlock it, which you will be able to do here (thanks Olipro!). This will SIM/CID/security unlock your phone, allowing you to use any SIM, plus you'll be able to flash custom ROMs. It costs money, it's worth it.

You may also need to flash an unlocked radio in order to use US GSM bands, which you can find here (again, thanks Olipro!).

So now that your phone is all unlocked and ready to rock, you should be able to go pretty much anywhere in the world, pop in a local SIM and start calling. If you want to get really fancy, get yourself a SkypeIn number here and forward it to your phone number abroad. Then forward your local Verizon number to your SkypeIn number and people back in the US will be able to call you without paying international long distance.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

combatstang is just getting started

There is a sticker over the sim card if I remove it wont it void my warrenty? not that I care, but just curious... Plus how do I switch to GSM?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: TELUS

dj_mysha is keeping up the good workdj_mysha is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatstang View Post
There is a sticker over the sim card if I remove it wont it void my warrenty? not that I care, but just curious... Plus how do I switch to GSM?
There was no sticker over my SIM slot, but I'm with TELUS and you're with Verizon, so I don't know for sure...

To switch to GSM mode, bring up your dialer, tap on Menu/Options and go to the Network tab. Tap on the Mode of Operation drop-down and select GSM only.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

niteriderxp is becoming a great contributor

There is no sticker over the SIM card on the TP2, there is a thin piece of metal that retains it.
If you break the piece of metal, a SIM card will no longer be held in place.

To remove the SIM card place your stylus in the hole at the edge of the SIM slot and push it out.
There should be a diagram near the SIM card slot on how to do this.

In order to use the phone with a foreign SIM card, the phone has to be SIM unlocked (security unlocked).
Verizon will give you the unlock code for free if you call Verizon Global Services.
Your Verizon account should be in good standing for them to honor the request.
No need to use any hacks.

Voice roaming on Verizon's network is expensive.
If you are going to only one country it is more cost effective to get a local SIM card.

Data roaming is reasonably priced if you get Verizon GlobalEmail $65/m with a voice plan.
If you have a $30 data plan currently, it will cost you $35 more for global capability.
If you deactivate before a month, it will be prorated.
So if you go for two weeks, you might only end up paying $10-15 extra.

I have previously used VOIP over the global data plan to make calls.
It's not great quality but it sure beats paying $2-3 a minute.

Edit:
Here is a guide on replacing the SIM card...
http://www.myvusers.com/forums/htc-t...ouch-pro2.html

Last edited by niteriderxp; 05-29-2010 at 07:13 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

from what i understand, the tp2 as an international phone already comes sim unlocked for international use....and that the unlock code VZW gives you just unlocks the sim so you can use sim the US GSM networks. just wondering is that not the case?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

No verizon TP2 are sim locked for every carrier besides the verizon vodafone card. There sim unlock code allows for any international and us carrier. Just tell them you want to use a local sim card overseas
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojary View Post
from what i understand, the tp2 as an international phone already comes sim unlocked for international use....
I believe this is the case for the Sprint TP2.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

blackangst is keeping up the good workblackangst is keeping up the good workblackangst is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
I believe this is the case for the Sprint TP2.
Yes that is true. Sprint is already international unlocked. But local prepaid SIM, pop it in, thats it. For VZN everything Ive read is, you call them, ask for the internation unlock code, and thats it.

Last edited by blackangst; 06-01-2010 at 11:47 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2