PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the number of downloads for each of the ROM's?
Yes 24 70.59%
No 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint Advantage Club

neudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Top ROM Downloads tracker?

This question is for the MOD's
But I would love to hear what everyone else thinks too!

I know that this might be a huge task, but Is it possible to create a post that automatically tracks and updates with the number of downloads that each of the cooks custom ROM's have had overall, this month, this week, today.... ect.?

I think that a stickie thread that showed users what the hotest roms are would really reduce the number of threads created asking what ROM they should be using..

Anyone else like to see something like this or have any thoughts?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8
Re: Top ROM Downloads tracker?

The problems with doing that is a favorite ROM is all based on personal opinion...what you want you phone to look like and how you want it to perform.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

ROMs are hosted on many different sites. There's no way to track them all. It's pretty obvious what threads are most popular also contain the most popular pre-made ROM for people not willing to cook their own. As mightymike said when they archived a bunch of posts in the diamond/touch pro threads and he needed to make sure people knew he had a big thread, "look at the view count!!1!1".
Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, HTC HD2
Carrier: Etisalat

cmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIPcmajewsk is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neudof View Post
This question is for the MOD's
But I would love to hear what everyone else thinks too!

I know that this might be a huge task, but Is it possible to create a post that automatically tracks and updates with the number of downloads that each of the cooks custom ROM's have had overall, this month, this week, today.... ect.?

I think that a stickie thread that showed users what the hotest roms are would really reduce the number of threads created asking what ROM they should be using..

Anyone else like to see something like this or have any thoughts?
I voted no. What's the point of this? To see how popular a ROM is? And that tells us what exactly? Most chefs utilize different hosting sites, and you'd have to get them to agree to track/supply their numbers. Plus there'd be no way to verify them. That post we get in here sometimes about what ROM to use is few and far between, and I for one don't mind steering people towards my favorite chefs - and others don't as well by the looks of responses to those posts.

Ever since a certain chef who I won't name started the popular use of using the same thread for the multiple ROM releases, using "Views" to dictate popularity has become impossible. BTW, I never use his roms...
Old 05-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

neudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on repneudof is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I understand that ROM's are a personal preference. That is why tracking downloads by rom is a completly impartial way of ranking ROM's popularity.

I also understand that this may be complicated as I stated in the 1st post. I would think that most of the major cooks are already tracking this, and would love to see where their rom stacks up against the others.

As for looking at the number of posts, this is also a flawed ranking. If a rom has a lot of problems, it has a lot of posts. If the same thread is used for multiple releases the post count is again not a true representation.

There are a lot of users still running stock (check the # of views and posts on the thread in my signature for proof). I think that many of these users would be excited to make the move to a custom rom if they had a better way of choosing.

Just a thought to try and help out the noobies, that's why I created the thread

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by neudof; 05-21-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

217 views and only 27 votes.....

I guess it is hard to click yes or no...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2