PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touc Pro 2
Carrier: US Cellular

firingphantom is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flash a ROM or not?

Im kinda a newb when it comes to modifying my cell phone but since im running a sense 2.1 TP2 with USCC i've been considering flashing to 2.5....is it recommended or not and if you do recommend doing so please point me towards a good ROM...all responses appreciated and thx in advance
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik
Re: Flash a ROM or not?

Personally, I'd def recommend flashing! The newer WM builds are finger/user friendly, but can be buggy at times. But if you're new (first post so welcome!!!) then I would suggest you read, read, read, and then read some more. Most of the info you need can be found on the first page of each ROM thread. You'll also want to read up on unlocking. I can't remember if USC is GSM or CDMA, but you're gonna want to make sure you flash the correct ROM.

Welcome and happy flashing!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8

USC is CDMA, so this is the right spot to be at. IT all boils down to personal preference.

Most of the WM 6.5 2.5 ROMs are very flashy and useful. The home screen quick links are great, the new weather animations are cool, but they also start eating up a lot of RAM. After about 2 days of use I'm around 65% and can lock up my phone if I start accessing multiple programs at once (opera, messaging, music, etc). If I keep it to 1-2 programs there seems to be no issues.

At the end of the day it will boil down to how you want your phone to function. The WM 6.1 2.1 roms are extremely stable and do not eat huge chunks of RAM, whereas the 6.5 2.5 ROMs are more flash and function at the loss of some speed/responsiveness.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

firingphantom is a n00b

i've been a silent user and i've done a bit of research but everyone seems to have "the best Rom" so i'm looking for guidance from an experienced user
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Tree Trunk Killa
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

burtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPburtonsnow8 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to burtonsnow8

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingphantom View Post
i've been a silent user and i've done a bit of research but everyone seems to have "the best Rom" so i'm looking for guidance from an experienced user
Like i've said...it will all be personal preference. Some people LOOVVEEEE CHT and sense 2.5, so they will take the hit in the performance department to get the eye candy and links they want. Some people love how it runs smooth on 6.1 2.1, so they forgo the eyecandy for some responsiveness.

I will ask this...what do you WANT and NEED out of your phone?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I'll second burtonsnow8 in that it all boils down to personal preference. Personally, I've only ever flashed MightyROMs and I've never had any problems (that weren't of my own making). His ROMs are VERY stable (even the WM6.5.x) builds, and there's not a lot of fat included. MightyROM is CDMA and there's several options as far as WM/Sense builds.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

firingphantom is a n00b

i basically want to get the most out of my phone the standard 6.1 2.1 doesnt seem to be anything special i would like to see shortcuts on my home screen and finger friendly ease of use but what sort of performance loss can i expect and if im not satisfied will a hard reset put me back?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

For home screen shortcuts and usability, Cookie Home Tab is the way to (IMHO). As far as performance loss, it's somewhat noticeable, but youre not gonna be waiting 2 minutes for apps to open, etc. In Mightys ROMs available memory can sometimes seem high 60-70% (rare 80%), but it doesn't slow down the phone until you hit high 80s. Also, apps open faster after youve opened them the first time, as it stores the app in memory.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

firingphantom is a n00b

im curious enough that i think im going to do it...anything other facts i need to know before hand and about how long will it take and will i lose all my files?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingphantom View Post
im curious enough that i think im going to do it...anything other facts i need to know before hand and about how long will it take and will i lose all my files?
Every time you flash a new ROM it will hard reset your device. Again, reading is your most powerful tool.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
energy rom, mighty rom, rom, sense 2.5, us cellular