PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OS speed question.

Hey all:

So, I've been using MightyROM for a while now, but the combination of WM6.5 and M2.5 is getting more and more frustrating. I'm considering switching to the 6.1/2.5 ROM to see if it's any faster, but I wanted to check if anyone had any general impressions re: 6.5.5. Is it any faster than standard 6.5? What's the benefit of switching, if any, in your opinions?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

newkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnewkidd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: OS speed question.

mostly 6.5 and 6.5.5 are essentially going to run the same speed. if you go back to stock it is going to be slower because sprint puts alot of bloat ware on the phone. crap you never will need. try going to the XYC Squeeky clean rom. its pretty fast. doesnt have alot on it.

the speed you are referring to, isnt essentially related to the OS software. if you disable the Manilla (touch flo) software, your phone will get pretty quick. try to look around and try out different roms. always remember to task 29 your phone, or try to flash back to sprint stock before you flash to a new rom. this will take alot of the leftover software off the phone so you dont have any leftover bugs.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work

Newkidd:

Thanks for your response. I may give squeaky clean a shot. I had a sneaking suspicion that M2.5 is the problem, which is unfortunate, because I *love* the updated contacts screen. I've been running Task29 prior to every ROM I've installed, so no worries there.

I wish Android would finish being ported to the TP2; I already have it on my wife's Touch and her phone, as old as it is, is so much better than mine that it's not even funny.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2/ TP1

pimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

What about 6.5 2.1 too old for you?? If not try SuperRom 14 bottom link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
Newkidd:

Thanks for your response. I may give squeaky clean a shot. I had a sneaking suspicion that M2.5 is the problem, which is unfortunate, because I *love* the updated contacts screen. I've been running Task29 prior to every ROM I've installed, so no worries there.

I wish Android would finish being ported to the TP2; I already have it on my wife's Touch and her phone, as old as it is, is so much better than mine that it's not even funny.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Speed is relative to the user, I personally think that 6.5.x is just as fast as 6.1. its all in what you have loaded and what you have running. the more you run the slower its going to be. these kinds of questions can be asked a thousand times and you will always get a thousand different answers.

The best answer is find what works for you. no users experience is going to be the same unless you are running identical setups plain and simple.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley762 View Post
Speed is relative to the user, I personally think that 6.5.x is just as fast as 6.1. its all in what you have loaded and what you have running. the more you run the slower its going to be. these kinds of questions can be asked a thousand times and you will always get a thousand different answers.

The best answer is find what works for you. no users experience is going to be the same unless you are running identical setups plain and simple.
This is true, but I never install anything. I use my phone for three things: calling, e-mail, internet. I'll occasionally play some music. But I've noticed that M2.5 just drags, ESPECIALLY when I'm navigating Manila sub-menus. To be fair, so does my wife's Touch with Android, but it's much less noticeable on her phone than on mine.

Anyway, I was trying to see if 6.5.X brought any sort of optimizations--but I think my fears are confirmed, and that it's M2.5 that's causing the problems. I don't mind M2.1 except for the Contacts tab, but I may just have to live with it.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
This is true, but I never install anything. I use my phone for three things: calling, e-mail, internet. I'll occasionally play some music. But I've noticed that M2.5 just drags, ESPECIALLY when I'm navigating Manila sub-menus. To be fair, so does my wife's Touch with Android, but it's much less noticeable on her phone than on mine.

Anyway, I was trying to see if 6.5.X brought any sort of optimizations--but I think my fears are confirmed, and that it's M2.5 that's causing the problems. I don't mind M2.1 except for the Contacts tab, but I may just have to live with it.
How many e-mails do you have downloaded to your phone, that is a big culprit of causing things to slow down.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2/ TP1

pimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpol10 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I actually like the contact tabs better in 2.1 because you have all the opions to dial, text, and email all at the bottom of the persons name, but of course it's not as finger friendly.

Quote:

Old 05-15-2010, 03:08 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

are you talking about the rolidex style contact tab VS the 3x4 contact screen??

pretty sure you can change that by overwriting some manila files.. someone the other day was looking for the 6.1 rolidex style instead and im pretty sure he was just given the manila files to get what he wanted.. not entirely positive though
Old 05-15-2010, 03:10 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpol10 View Post
I actually like the contact tabs better in 2.1 because you have all the opions to dial, text, and email all at the bottom of the persons name, but of course it's not as finger friendly.
you still have all those options in 2.5.. just tap their name and the contact card shows with all option to communicate with them

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2