PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Dos
Carrier: Sprint

vzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question SERO owners able to switch to EVO?

what is keeping us TP2 owners from using our SIM cards on the EVO or any other new device from Sprint that requires us upgrading from the SERO plan? I know T-Mobile and ATT users do it all the time. Just buy "unlocked" phones and switch SIM cards. Am I missing something?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

klimb22 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularklimb22 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularklimb22 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularklimb22 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: SERO owners able to switch to EVO?

Yes, you're missing a whole bunch. The Sprint TP2 and EVO are CDMA phones. The "service" is dependent on the ESN/MEID, not a SIM card.

Would you be offended if I used your question in my signature?

Last edited by klimb22; 05-15-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

vzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimb22 View Post
Yes, you're missing a whole bunch. The Sprint TP2 and EVO are CDMA phones. The "service" is dependent on the ESN/MEID, not a SIM card.

Would you be offended if I used your question in my signature?
So someone from tmobile couldnt use a sprint tp2 that is SIM unlocked? no sir wouldnt be offended. I was just curious why we couldnt if i have heard of people just switching sim cards. i guess that would go both ways cant buy a mytouch and use it on sprint right?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzihome View Post
So someone from tmobile couldnt use a sprint tp2 that is SIM unlocked? no sir wouldnt be offended. I was just curious why we couldnt if i have heard of people just switching sim cards. i guess that would go both ways cant buy a mytouch and use it on sprint right?
Correct you could not use it on sprint. Sprint does not use Sim cards at all they are CDMA not GSM. I don't think the EVO even has a sim slot but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I believe that BY DEFAULT the SIM card and GSM roaming can only be used when out of the country. I might be wrong on this.

Last edited by quick99si; 05-15-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley762 View Post
Correct you could not use it on sprint. Sprint does not use Sim cards at all they are CDMA not GSM. I don't think the EVO even has a sim slot but someone correct me if I am wrong.
Right Sprint is CDMA but now with the TP2 and all the new phones they are comming out with both GSM/CDMA. One day,maybe, everyone will go to GSM and we wont be tied down to a certain "service provider" because of their phones. We will have a greater selection of phones. That being said what is the use of the SIM card on the tp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick99si View Post
I believe that by default the SIM card and GSM roaming can only be used when out of the country. I might be wrong on this.
Ok if the SIM card can only be used out of the country why does it have an option to force GSM? This would be only for a CDMA/GSM capable phone what about one that is only GSM?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Right Sprint is CDMA but now with the TP2 and all the new phones they are comming out with both GSM/CDMA. One day,maybe, everyone will go to GSM and we wont be tied down to a certain "service provider" because of their phones. We will have a greater selection of phones. That being said what is the use of the SIM card on the tp2?

Ok if the SIM card can only be used out of the country why does it have an option to force GSM? This would be only for a CDMA/GSM capable phone what about one that is only GSM?
You can unlock the Sim on the Sprint to use in the US with the GSM carrier's so I have heard and seen around on the forums.

The Sim slot on the Sprint version was meant to make it a world phone so you could use it out of the country with a sim card.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:

Without paying $20 for the Sim Unlock, if you force GSM, in the US, you will never get a signal lock.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

sjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsjs01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Most phones aren't actually GSM/CDMA, most phones are either one or the other. Like said above, I don't believe the EVO is a GSM/CDMA phone. Also it is HIGHLY unlikely (it won't happen) that everyone will go GSM, because as said before, Sprint (and Verizon) are CDMA. Switching to GSM is not easy, it would require them to put up new GSM towers and get all new phones. They would never go through that much hassle just so there customers could use any phone from any service provider, they would not like people to be able to do this. Since Sprint is a CDMA service provider, that is why you can't use GSM phones. Sprint only put this GSM feature on certain phones, so you could use the phone in other countries, but just because it has the feature of a SIM slot on this phone, Sprint is still CDMA and use's ESN's to identify their phones. By switching the SIM card, the Touch Pro 2 would still be activated on your Sprint account.

Quote:
Like mentioned the SIM card is on the Touch Pro 2 to make it a world phone, because, I believe, most other countries use GSM. Also on the Touch Pro 2 it is possible to "unlock" the phone, then being able to use it on other GSM service providers, but Sprint and Verizon did not mean for this to happen.

Last edited by sjs01; 05-15-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

not only no signal lock, even if you do sim unlock, you dont get 3g data from using a domestic sim card in a tp2.

Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2