PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   keypad dialing (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119778)

sherm420 04-30-2010 11:03 PM

keypad dialing

ok so i cleared my call logs (call history) because the sprint 6.5 was starting to lag big time (black screens constantly) and something changed for the worse. now when i type 323 , for instance (dad), my dads phone number wont come up like it used to. other 323 "hits" do, all of which i hardly contact often (this is not exclusive to the dad/323 example). its like when i cleared the log/history only the frequent calls got deleted from a database of sorts. i've cleared call logs before and this hasnt happened. oh and btw i didnt actually "clear the call logs"; that option doesnt appear like it used to. i had to select all then delete which im sure has something to do with my new problem.

now my options are limited to: go to the htc contact list and scroll down and select who i am calling which i hate, or wait until someone calls me so they are in the call log so then when i do my 323 thing the contact appears.

Any ideas or fixes?

im trying to avoid reinstalling/hard reset winmo AGAIN at all costs.

and a general question. do other "smartphones" begin to degrade like winmo seems to do? ive had a bb before and it never seemed to have any issues with anything ever. i think i rebooted it once, but i didnt really use it too much either so its tough to compare...

i've rebooted, turned off, soft reset, whatever 5 times today...:???:

nrfitchett4 05-01-2010 12:33 PM

Re: keypad dialing

i thought sense had some sort of favorites for contacts?
if not, try mobile shell and disable sense all together.

sherm420 05-01-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 1729318)
i thought sense had some sort of favorites for contacts?
if not, try mobile shell and disable sense all together.

yeah,

anyway i prefer to find contacts using the method i described above. for some reason this has quit working and i as hoping someone else had encountered this situation and fixed it.

and if by mobile shell you are referring to spb, i will politely decline.

switching to titanium and back to sense didnt help.

burtonsnow8 05-01-2010 03:00 PM

If you are using your hardware keyboard, only letters will work to pull up contacts. If you are in portrait with the keyboard up I'm not sure why its happening. If you backspace one of the numbers does it bring up your contacts that way? If you recently installed swype this seems to be an issue inherent with the software.

sherm420 05-01-2010 03:40 PM

nope, using the soft numeric keypad.

here are my steps
1. i press the phone button
2. brings up numeric keypad
3. i type, for instance, 323 for dad
4. dad contact should appear at the top of the list, along with other highlighted "hits"

number 4 now only happens if it is someone i contacted recently or havent contacted in a long time. the htc contacts still contains all hundreds of contacts and imo is a pita to use.

this is an issue because performance degrades as the call log fills up. clearing the log frees memory or something. i dont claim to know what exactly, but it sure does lessen the lag.

platniumrover 05-21-2010 05:07 PM

+1 I been having this same problem too...it brings up only a selected few contacts...and 90% of the time it isn't who I am looking for. And I have about 500 contacts in my phone so it is a real PITA. And I copy my pim files over from phone to phone versus syncing it...that may play into it some how, there may be some type of meta file also associated with it...but it has me stumped...Im going to try and load my contacts from outlook and see what happens.

platniumrover 05-21-2010 06:44 PM

So, I deleted my contacts out of microsoft office then deleted the relationship wit media center mobile device and allowed it to recopy all the contacts from the phone back to it, and its working now....give it a try.

sherm420 05-23-2010 05:25 PM

not sure why i didnt think of it earlier but i finally restored the db using ppcpimbackup.

samah 05-23-2010 05:47 PM

my guess is that the 323 only works because it's searching your call log. since dad is no longer in your call log because you deleted it, try calling your dad or getting him to call you just so he's in the call log again. now, try searching for 323. i hope this works, and good luck.