PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

portnoyd is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TF3D major mail problem

I've had my TP2 since September and it's been working fine, flashed with EnergyROM recently and liked it more.

However, I've now run into the same problem twice and this second time, has basically made the phone non-functional.

I have my email accounts set to hold 7 days worth of mail. I don't need any more on my phone, I just want to see new messages. What has happened is, for some reason that is completely against the settings of the mail account, it will download all the email in my Yahoo account.

Since I save all my email, that's 12,000 messages. That ate up all my on-board storage and made the phone a slug.

The first time, I was able to delete the email account in TF3D and recreate it. The second time, the selection to get to the Options to delete the account is unselectable and after trying to find a way around that, the phone, for all intensive purposes, locked up so I had to reboot.

That was a half hour ago. The phone is still trying to load TF3D (says Launching HTC Sense, as I'm using manilla 2.5). I can actually load other WinMo apps but the shell which has all my phone numbers and everything is still loading.

This is infuriating. Why would it go against the setting and download every message? TF3D is trying to load that email account and who knows when it'll be done. All the while it's burning battery. After a half hour, I'm down to 75% from a full charge. Will it even have enough juice to load TF3D?

I can load mocha FTP (edit: nevermind, it says my network isn't enabled yet.... grr) so if someone knows what manilla files house the email accounts, please tell me so I can nuke them. At this point, I don't care if it breaks TF3D. I just want my phone working again. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by portnoyd; 04-29-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:22 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: TF3D major mail problem

your gonna have to wait for all that email before it starts i think.. everyone seems to say the less messages and emails, the faster it loads.. so id think youd have a bit of waiting to do... also, if your phone is in current send/recieve, option to delete will be grayed out till its done..

you can always hard reset and make an .xml to provision your email accounts and itll follow how it want it for sure that way
Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

portnoyd is a n00b

Send/receive must have been why it was greyed out, everytime I went to the email list it would say "Looking for Changes" (something it never says when checking for mail btw). I must have triggered some bug that makes it ignore settings and went into overdrive.

The phone just shut off after an hour so I had to start the process all over again. I'm thinking when I get home, I'm going to have to reflash Energy to get a working cellphone again.

I moved all the messages to a separate folder. Maybe now the problem will correct itself? Still very maddening. This phone does everything it can to make me not like it.

Last edited by portnoyd; 04-29-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

is this a push mail or what? this doesnt sound right and would piss me off. hope you have good service because it will take forever to get your 12k emails.

what rom are you using?

Last edited by psycho_maniac; 04-29-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

egghead is a n00b

This happens to me whenever I first set up my email. It will download up to the number of days I set, but then it will check all of the headers without downloading.

Once in a blue moon, I won't get any emails for a whole day and it will just say "connecting" or "disconnecting" when I choose send/receive. When it finally starts working again for whatever reason, it goes through all the emails again as if I just set it up.

The trick I use to speed this up when I first set up my email is to connect it to my computer so that it is using my computer's internet connection. It significantly speeds up the amount of time it takes to download my messages and check all the headers.

Based on your description, this doesn't seem to be the same case as yours, but if you were mistaken, this might help.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

portnoyd is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
is this a push mail or what? this doesnt sound right and would piss me off. hope you have good service because it will take forever to get your 12k emails.

what rom are you using?
I'm using Energy but this happened before when I was on stock so it's definitely not Energy. Of course, the increase in ram/cpu consumption because of manilla 2.5 seemed to exacerbate the problem.

It's a push email and I love it normally but my phone right now is basically bricked... except I got a call before with no issue. So right now all I can do is receive calls. The mind reels.

It has turned itself off (or lagged so bad that I couldn't turn the screen on) several times so the process has gone nowhere. I will probably reflash the phone when I get home, assuming I can get ActiveSync up long enough to reflash.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

aiiee is keeping up the good workaiiee is keeping up the good work

Bump. Has anyone a solution to this? I too had set just a few days to download ( 3 ) and it ignored it and downloaded all my headers ( 3000 ) I thought my SOD problem had returned. I tried creating new folders and 'archiving' mail there but it looks like it may re-create the folders found in Yahoo on the phone! If no one has an answer I guess I'm off to Verizon, ha!

Well, after nosing around I found under Mail>Menu>Tools>Manage Folders the ability to exclude / include certain mail folders from syncing and how many days of mail you want on the synced ones. This seems to be working, so far....

Last edited by aiiee; 07-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiiee View Post
Bump. Has anyone a solution to this? I too had set just a few days to download ( 3 ) and it ignored it and downloaded all my headers ( 3000 ) I thought my SOD problem had returned. I tried creating new folders and 'archiving' mail there but it looks like it may re-create the folders found in Yahoo on the phone! If no one has an answer I guess I'm off to Verizon, ha!

Well, after nosing around I found under Mail>Menu>Tools>Manage Folders the ability to exclude / include certain mail folders from syncing and how many days of mail you want on the synced ones. This seems to be working, so far....
Is it a Yahoo account? Also clean out your inbox and use folders, that way you should not run into the issue again.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

aiiee is keeping up the good workaiiee is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley762 View Post
Is it a Yahoo account? Also clean out your inbox and use folders, that way you should not run into the issue again.
yeppers. Just moved all old mail to archive folders and made sure that the phone didn't have them selected for syncing. Not that big a deal really, was just weird that it took over a month to go wonky.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiiee View Post
yeppers. Just moved all old mail to archive folders and made sure that the phone didn't have them selected for syncing. Not that big a deal really, was just weird that it took over a month to go wonky.
Ya, seems like Yahoo has issues for some reason and it's totally random. I stopped using Yahoo many many years ago when I got my gmail account.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2