PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc TP2
Carrier: Sprint

mike99 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WM player error

Hello,

I just tried to play sports and movies from the internet site I have subscribed for a long time on my TP2. I have had no problems with TP1 using both stock 6.1 and custom 6.5 ROMs, as well as my TP2 using stock 6.1. ROM. However, now using Sprint stock 6.5, I get error message: The data area passed to a system call is too small.

I googled it, and there are some solutions for Windows XP WMP, but the solutions offered have no corresponding options available on the mobile version of WMP. I could not find anything dealing with WM. I tried to downgrade the WMP to the previous 6.1 ROM version, but could not get the download link on the MS site. Any bright ideas please??

Thanks a lot.

Mike
Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc TP2
Threadstarter

mike99 is just getting started
Re: WM player error

Thanks.

The files are mms (microsoft media server) format. Core player is fine, but WMP has hardware acceleration, and works much smoother for me than any other player I tried (and it used to play these files very well too).
Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community
Re: WM player error

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
Thanks.

The files are mms (microsoft media server) format. Core player is fine, but WMP has hardware acceleration, and works much smoother for me than any other player I tried (and it used to play these files very well too).
Sorry I am not too familiar with that file type, but maybe this post at XDA can help a bit...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=318778&page=2

SOLVED! - can't play mms:// streams with wm6 in wmp
I have solved my issue with streaming Microsoft MMS:// format files. Happily, it was not a problem with my ROM version.

My first clue came from this post which I found elsewhere.

This suggested that no matter what changes are made to the registry, Windows Media player will still attempt to handle certain types of streaming files - particularly Microsoft MMS:// streams and .asx and .asf media streams.

(Incidentally, to my knowledge, the 3GP streams used by sites like You Tube Mobile do not cause any conflict and do not overlap with this specific Windows Media Player issue).

I discovered that my installation of Coreplayer and TCPMP and very likely my attempts to set them to handle certain files types (like MMS:// streams) had resulted in Windows Media Player mishandling certain file types. In particularly, instead of just directly streaming the MMS:// files it was first downloading a file ending with the extension .WMWebASX or .WBWebASF and then attempting to open that file. This resulted in an apparent codec error.

How I finally fixed it.

First, for all files that can be handled by Windows Media Player, I turned off any conflicting file associations in Coreplayer and TCPMP. Then using the registry editor Total Commander, I went through the HKCU area of the registry and deleted ALL entries named TCPMP.bak... there were LOTS. Fortunately, Total Commander has a find command!

Then I also went through all the entries in the HKCU section of the registry for streaming files that can be handled by Windows Media Player including WMWebASX, WBWebASF, asf, asx (and a quite few others) and made sure they all pointed to \Windows|wmplayer.exe. (Many had gotten set to point to TCPMP's player.exe on my device and this had to be changed).

Finally, in Wiindows Media Player's Network options I set it to use Port 500 for UDP (the best choice of available port may depend on your wireless carrier - try port 80 if all else fails). Without changing this, I got sound but no picture.

BTW in regard to the OP, I belive that DNS and/or firewall issues, probably at the wireless carrier's end can also be a problem for some people. For instance, if your browser requests a file on one port then the file is delivered on a different port the carrier firewall may shut it out as if it were an unsolicited packet. It may also be also worth trying different DNS servers e,g, the OpenDNS servers, or if you use them already and have probs, try going back to your carrier's DNS servers. Definitely it will also be likely be necessary to bypass any proxy server such as ATT's MEdia Net for example.

Hope this info is useful to others.

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2