PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Marvsway is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help

Just got the HTC Touch pro II. Been reading the posts and I found some answers to my questions... kinda. The thing is, and this is gonna sound very noob of me, but people have included some WinRar files that needed extracting on their posts. Problem is, I don't know what to do with them after they been extracted. Been trying to figure it out but no luck.

Example: I saw that the SkyFire Broswer is a good way to be able to use flash on your device (If there's an easier way please let me know), someone was nice enough to include a zip file. I DL it, extract it and then I'm stuck. Can someone put up step by step instructions as to what to do?

Also, I'm looking for games although I don't really want to pay 4-5 bucks for a game. Any advice? I'm also trying to find a way to do some tethering. Just heard about doing this not too long ago. I read some stuff about it on this site but some people were talking about doing it in stealth mode... No idea why stealth mode would be needed.

Anyway, thanks in advance
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Re: Help

in the case of skyfire, ill just post the .cab file. just copy it to your storage card from the computer. find it through the file explorer on your phone and click it. a .cab file is like an exe for a computer. here are some games also. i got a lot of them at the following thread.

edit... my games zip was too big, but here are lots of games...
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117326s of games...
Attached Files
File Type: cab Skyfire-PPC.CAB (957.3 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by austin420; 04-27-2010 at 10:27 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Postwhoring VIP
Pocket PC: MoPho Ray Tube!!!

OR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIPOR78 is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to OR78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvsway View Post
Just got the HTC Touch pro II. Been reading the posts and I found some answers to my questions... kinda. The thing is, and this is gonna sound very noob of me, but people have included some WinRar files that needed extracting on their posts. Problem is, I don't know what to do with them after they been extracted. Been trying to figure it out but no luck.

Example: I saw that the SkyFire Broswer is a good way to be able to use flash on your device (If there's an easier way please let me know), someone was nice enough to include a zip file. I DL it, extract it and then I'm stuck. Can someone put up step by step instructions as to what to do?

Also, I'm looking for games although I don't really want to pay 4-5 bucks for a game. Any advice? I'm also trying to find a way to do some tethering. Just heard about doing this not too long ago. I read some stuff about it on this site but some people were talking about doing it in stealth mode... No idea why stealth mode would be needed.

I can understand your frustrations bud. First things first. Go over all the site rules and directions. Make sure you look into tips for searching as well.
I hilighted a section of your post just to ensure that you are not looking for warez. This is not tolerated. If that's not what you meant then hopefully you can find some free games here. We are here to help you but please use the site as your own personal resource center. We all started off in your shoes and have learned the ways.
As for the WinRar files. Search around for an app that best suits your need. For flash enabling this too is user preference. Some prefer Skyfire some like to tweak Opera to enable flash.

Finally, read up on all the sticky thread that are in the Touch Pro 2 forum. They will help you greatly. Good luck and welcome!

Give some
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sl8763 is keeping up the good worksl8763 is keeping up the good work

RAR files can be uncompressed using WinRAR or 7-Zip.

http://www.rarlab.com/

http://www.7-zip.org/

I personally use 7-Zip, but both work fine. After opening the RAR file with either program, you'll see a .cab file. As austin420 said, this is the file that needs to be copied and then run on your TP2. I personally transfer the files via Bluetooth from my laptop, but you can also do it by plugging your storage card into your PC and copying them onto there or selecting "Use as disk" when you connect the phone to the PC with the USB cable.

Once you get the .cab onto your device, just use File Explorer to find where it's located (usually Storage Card or My Documents) and tap it once. The .cab will start installing and you just follow the prompts.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible & HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

QMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to QMeli907 Send a message via Yahoo to QMeli907

Quote:
Once you download a file, you need to hook your phone up to the computer using the USB cord. Once it is connected, on your phone, select the option to use as a disk drive. Once this is done, open up 'My Computer' and find the phone listed under here. Navigate to wherever you saved the original file (SkyFire) and simply drag and drop onto your SD card. Disconnect your phone and click Start>File Explorer>My Device>Storage Card. Then click on the file you wish to install. This will load the installer where it will prompt you to save to your device or card. I always save to card. Once this finishes, you may have to turn of device then turn back on. Then navigate to start and all the way at the bottom you should see the program you just installed.

Quote:
A simple google search for 'free windows mobile games' will bring up hundreds of games.

Stealth mode is used so your phone carrier cannot tell you are using your device for tethering uses. Some charge extra for this, and 'stealth' makes it undetectable.

Quote:
Theres a thanks button on the bottom right of people's responses. Use it accordingly

Don't click me
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sl8763 is keeping up the good worksl8763 is keeping up the good work

USB Tethering:

Here is the thread I used mine set up. I'm also on Sprint, using the stock 6.5 ROM. Works great.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=115051

You will need to install a registry editor first. I use PHM Regedit (attached to this post).

WiFi Tethering (using your phone as a wireless hotspot):

I've attached the XDA-Tom_Codon CM Wifi Internet Sharing VGA.cab that I use. This also works perfectly and does not interfere with the USB tethering app, meaning you can have both installed to have a choice of how to tether. I can't remember which thread I got this from (if anyone knows the link, please post it!).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2