PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO2
Carrier: US Cellular

Lynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A few Questions - Curiousity

I have a few questions, i could be going blind or becoming slightly dyslexic.. even tried searching for how to and howto didnt really turn up what i was lookin for i thought id just ask

i havent been able to find a tutorial/walkthrough/how to on flashing your phone with a different rom, anyone able to point me to a step by step?

the majority of users i see are using bigger name cell phone companies, will flashing my phone with a 3rd party rom fubar the phone to the point i cant use my cellular network?

would flashing the rom erase settings for the cellular provider, where do i find the settings the provider set to back them up?

sorry if these have been asked, but a response would be appreciated, im new to phone mods, my router was much easier to flash apparently so any help so i dont kill/brick my phone would be great

thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP
Re: A few Questions - Curiousity

yes you can flash ROMs. most of the bigger ROMs have provisioning programs that run after first boot. just pick your carrier and it does the rest. some require adding a couple of cabs to get messaging working.
1. unlock your phone here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252
make sure to follow instructions COMPLETELY. turn off antivirus, turn off firewall while doing this or it won't work.
2. once you are unlocked, then you can flash any cdma ROM on this forum. I would try a mighty mike or energy or Mr. X ROM the first time. there is a reason they are most popular. Make sure you read the first few posts of each ROM. It will tell you exactly what you need to do, like flash, then run carrier provisioning, then install any fixes. as far as flashing a ROM, usually it is just an exe that you download to your computer then run the exe while you are synced to your computer.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98
that is the forum location for cdma ROMs. stay away from GSM Roms and GSM radios, they can kill your phone.

really, flashing a ROM is very easy. just read a thread a couple of times so you understand what you are doing. once you see what is out there, then you can start looking for a ROM that fits what you want. personally I hate all forms of sense/tf3d and use mobile shell in mine.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: USCC

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Step by step? Not sure if there is a monster but you can look HERE.

First you need to unlock phone, read HERE.

Second you need to choose a custom rom there a a few who make them for USCC. Like the one I use HERE

Third you need to learn how to flash a ROM. Via the SD CARD or via WMDC.

The latter is what I do. I just don't know how to explain it. Guess someone will come along to give you help there. I could try, but I make changes to the file that may be confusing.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO2
Carrier: US Cellular
Threadstarter

Lynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLynkz83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

sweet, thanks for the help nrfitchett4 and Oditius
I am currently using XpressDusk

Last edited by Lynkz83; 04-26-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: i got button happy n clicked post b4 finished typing

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2