PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Just Flashed a new ROM, Got Way Better Battery Life than stock! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119183)

uglyone888 04-25-2010 05:16 PM

Just Flashed a new ROM, Got Way Better Battery Life than stock!

Hello everyone! I would just like to share something odd/interesting I found out the other day. I have been running the stock 6.1 Sprint ROM since I bought my phone back in October. I decided to finally try out custom ROMs a few days ago and the results surprised me!

On the stock ROM, I used SBP Mobile Shell 3.5 most of the time, but sometimes I just ran it with no Today plug-ins, just kinda barebones. Typically the phone battery would last through the work day with moderate usage (30 minutes of Internet, a game for 10 minutes, a few Emails, 20 text messages, and maybe a 10 minute phone call) and would still be half full after about 8 hours or so. I thought that battery life was excellent, and I was using one of those cheap Ebay Aneida batteries. I also had a few .cabs installed that I found in the favorite cabs thread, which supposedly helped boost battery life.

Anyways, I just flashed to the newest Energy ROM build 23563 Sense 2.5 with CHT 1.7. I figured it would chew through my battery in no time, given all the eye candy and animations. After setting it up, I went 13 hours with moderate to heavy usage, and about 3 hours of idle time, and ended the day with exactly 50% juice leftover! I always read that custom ROMs were much worse than the stock ROM, but that wasn't the case for me!

Now my questions are: are custom ROMs more battery friendly due to the heavy modification to meet the phone hardware/software better by improving on the stock ROMs? Or has NRGZ28 cooked in extra tweaks to boost performance? Is 6.5 just have better power management than 6.1? Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me? Or does anyone have an explanation for what just occurred??

danny6514 04-25-2010 06:06 PM

Re: Just Flashed a new ROM, Got Way Better Battery Life than stock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglyone888 (Post 1718636)
Hello everyone! I would just like to share something odd/interesting I found out the other day. I have been running the stock 6.1 Sprint ROM since I bought my phone back in October. I decided to finally try out custom ROMs a few days ago and the results surprised me!

On the stock ROM, I used SBP Mobile Shell 3.5 most of the time, but sometimes I just ran it with no Today plug-ins, just kinda barebones. Typically the phone battery would last through the work day with moderate usage (30 minutes of Internet, a game for 10 minutes, a few Emails, 20 text messages, and maybe a 10 minute phone call) and would still be half full after about 8 hours or so. I thought that battery life was excellent, and I was using one of those cheap Ebay Aneida batteries. I also had a few .cabs installed that I found in the favorite cabs thread, which supposedly helped boost battery life.

Anyways, I just flashed to the newest Energy ROM build 23563 Sense 2.5 with CHT 1.7. I figured it would chew through my battery in no time, given all the eye candy and animations. After setting it up, I went 13 hours with moderate to heavy usage, and about 3 hours of idle time, and ended the day with exactly 50% juice leftover! I always read that custom ROMs were much worse than the stock ROM, but that wasn't the case for me!

Now my questions are: are custom ROMs more battery friendly due to the heavy modification to meet the phone hardware/software better by improving on the stock ROMs? Or has NRGZ28 cooked in extra tweaks to boost performance? Is 6.5 just have better power management than 6.1? Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me? Or does anyone have an explanation for what just occurred??

Every "custom" ROM out there is customized, and for most of them heavy modifications are made, not just NRGZ's. People have reported that WM6.5 has a better battery life, and I personally believe so too. As for your "odd" battery life with stock ROM, I would say it's not right. I had a better battery life when I first got my TP2...way better infact. Oh and, where on earth did you read that stock ROMs are *always* better...? It seems to be the other way around, atleast to most people.