PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint touch pro2
Carrier: sprintless

touch-this-pro is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post lag issue with text messaging (SOLVED), at least works for me

I posted this in somebody else post, so its buried somewhere that it will be difficult to find.

so, here it comes:

When i transfered my contacts and sms to my TP2 form the crapy TP1, the phone (TP2) was extremely laggy and sometimes non responsive for minutes.

Now, lets not blame Windows or HTC because I have few thousand sms in there

So, I switched from Threated to Classic (start\settings\system\text messaging)
and the lag went away immediately (after restart).

Of-course you looses the functionality of having the SMS from one person in under one SMS.

If I had to guess why this happens, i would probably say that loading a single SMS in Threated mode loads all the SMS from that contact and thus the phone gets bogged down.

However, I am not expert by any means and it would be nice if a cook can enlighten us.

thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: proud owner of a samsung epic 4g!!!
Carrier: sprint

2kidz is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to 2kidz
Re: lag issue with text messaging (SOLVED), at least works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch-this-pro View Post
I posted this in somebody else post, so its buried somewhere that it will be difficult to find.

so, here it comes:

When i transfered my contacts and sms to my TP2 form the crapy TP1, the phone (TP2) was extremely laggy and sometimes non responsive for minutes.

Now, lets not blame Windows or HTC because I have few thousand sms in there

So, I switched from Threated to Classic (start\settings\system\text messaging)
and the lag went away immediately (after restart).

Of-course you looses the functionality of having the SMS from one person in under one SMS.

If I had to guess why this happens, i would probably say that loading a single SMS in Threated mode loads all the SMS from that contact and thus the phone gets bogged down.

However, I am not expert by any means and it would be nice if a cook can enlighten us.

thanks
i tried this and followed the directions u gave and my phone wont leave threaded mode! reset twice to no avail! hmmm.....
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Why the hell would you transfer a "few thousand" text messages to a new phone (& then you wonder why it lags?? Geez.....)

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

MacWilder is just getting started

I had the same problem (with 2200 contacts) and I solved it by installing a custom OS in my ROM. I used Sprint Lovers with Sense 2.5, but I am sure others would resolve the issue too. The advantage is that I didn't have to compromise. The disadvantage is 1) it took me nearly 2 hours from start to end--I was new at this, 2) there is a risk that something would go wrong and brick the phone, and 3) the device warranty is at risk.

The new OS not only solved that problem but had other advantages as it is much faster, and is steady lock a rock.

Shame on HTC and Sprint for requiring us to seek outside help to resolve an issue that should never have occurred in the first place. Thanks to those whose good work makes satisfactorily resolving these issues possible.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

danny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on repdanny6514 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Just sharing my experiences and I'm not sure if this is relevant.
I personally have more than 5000 text messages stored on my TP2. Back when I only had 2000 it already lagged like no tomorrow, so I decided to put the texts all in folders. Let's say make a folder for each individual sender. As we'll mostly only be browsing through our inbox, it wouldn't lag at all since the *however many texts* would all be stored in folders and not in the inbox.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

cd85233 is becoming a great contributor

A few questions...is this like the app is laggy or inputting the text is laggy?

If its the KB I have a fix I found somwhere, but it only works for 6.1 ROMS. Let me know.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

wow, do you really need thousands of texts stored on your phone??? get a backup program or just transfer them to your computer.
and 2200 contacts, how many of them have you actually talked to in the last year?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

THE-COPS is keeping up the good workTHE-COPS is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to THE-COPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
wow, do you really need thousands of texts stored on your phone??? get a backup program or just transfer them to your computer.
and 2200 contacts, how many of them have you actually talked to in the last year?
Black book for the quickies? hehehe. Why people transfer their txt messages is beyond me. I just copied the Pim.vol file from my old .. to my new. Got my contacts and call history. People say txt messages is also in Pim file, but everytime I ever copied a Pim file over, there were never any text messages added from that time.

I didn't like threaded text messaging. Too much BS with the unread text messages constantly showing up. Had to directly click on every message back and forth to get the indicator to decrease.

Phone is a bit laggy now than when I first started it back in October. Could be the text messages. Folder option is handy if you have many messages from different people. However, if most is from one person, such as your GF or what not then it would not be too convenient. Though I suppose you could date the folders.

I honestly dont know why text messages bog down Windows Mobile. It must be the way it does some kind of constant search through all of the messages, because messaging isn't sitting there and gobbling up memory. I had this same problem on my Q9M. Wasnt killing memory but too many text messages would slow down the phone to a halt (3000 or so) . Then it took the phone almost 45 minutes straight to finish deleting them all.... sheeesh.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2

sebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on repsebo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

lol 2,200 contacts and thousands of messages, you people are too funny... old text messages is what got tiger in trouble.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
wow, do you really need thousands of texts stored on your phone????
These posts always crack me up, I can't imagine ANY reason to keep thousands of texts on a phone.

If they are say important business contacts etc, then the last place they should be stored is in your phone (what if the phone is lost, stolen or simply stops working??)

If they are not important, then why not delete them & speed up the whole system??

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2