PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
connecting to a remote ip address??

I am trying to connect to the ip address & a certain port on my home computer.

This works fine from my LT, but when I try it from IE or Opera in my TP2 I get a "unable to connect to remote server" error.

Why can't this connect the same as the LT?? Is that not possible from a phone??

~John
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: connecting to a remote ip address??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I am trying to connect to the ip address & a certain port on my home computer.

This works fine from my LT, but when I try it from IE or Opera in my TP2 I get a "unable to connect to remote server" error.

Why can't this connect the same as the LT?? Is that not possible from a phone??

~John
Maybe VZW is filtering it? I never had problems using remote desktop or connecting to the file server (port 80) at my home from my phone... or maybe opera just doesn't support special ports...
Old 04-25-2010, 05:30 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake View Post
... or maybe opera just doesn't support special ports...
Does anybody know for sure on this??

When I use the exact same address & port from my Windows 7 Pro LT it connects immediately.

I have tried IE, Opera 9.5, Opera Mini & Skyfire (running NRG ROM) all of them tell me the connection is unavailable.

~John
Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

Mightymike314 is becoming a great contributor

I tie into our Linux server with wmtelnet. You tell it the ip and port and it goes. Not sure it this will work for your set up, but you can try.
Attached Files
File Type: cab wmtelnet[1].cab (198.8 KB, 4 views) Click for barcode!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Thanks MM, but that didn't work either.

I put in the address & the port, it said it was connecting & then said "Sorry, cannot create a connection to the selected host ***********

~John
Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: sprint

Mightymike314 is becoming a great contributor

Do you have your router set up to forward the specific port you are using to go to the right place? Just a thought. Sorry that didn't work.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Check this. Try to tether your computer to the phone. If the computer can access the ip when tethered then you know it is a phone browser issue.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

I connect to unusual ports (for http) on my home network all the time through Sprint. I have various web services running on different servers on ports other than 80 and it works fine in Opera and IE. I'm on the stock ROM (Sprint 6.5) though. That's odd that it isn't working for you.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Here's one possible issue: on IE-based browsers you often have to include the "http://" before an IP address, or it won't work. Are you trying:

Code:
ip.ad.dre.ss:port
or
The former fails in IE and the latter works, though in Opera they both seem to work for me.

Last edited by haus; 04-26-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Here's one possible issue: on IE-based browsers you often have to include the "http://" before an IP address, or it won't work. Are you trying:

Code:
ip.ad.dre.ss:port
or
The former fails in IE and the latter works, though in Opera they both seem to work for me.
I am including the http://

Doesn't work in either IE or Opera.

It was/is working perfectly in my LT, so I copied the address & pasted it into an email & sent it to myself.

I then opened the email in my TP2 & clicked on the link. It failed to connect in both IE & Opera.

I have basically given up at this point.

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2