PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   HTC Sense 2.5 weather updates not working? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119079)

mstevens 04-24-2010 01:49 PM

HTC Sense 2.5 weather updates not working?

Neither my wife's TP2 nor mine appears to be able to update weather. Both are running the stock 6.5/2.5 ROM.

When I try to update weather I get the "Connection Error" popup as if I didn't have internet connectivity. However, I have no trouble at all updating the Stocks or Twitter tabs, using a browser, etc.

I've tried 1x, EVDO, Activesync, and WiFi (each by itself with all other access methods disabled). This leads me to conclude the problem lies either with the weather server or with the HTC Sense weather application itself.

Oddly, my weather last updated around 10PM on April 22nd but my wife's updated until 7AM on the 23rd. Both are set to update hourly.

Neither of us has installed or updated any software or changed any settings in the last several days. I think the last time my wife did this would've been shortly after the 6.5/2.5 update came out.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, has anyone identified a solution?

mikejones13 04-24-2010 01:58 PM

Re: HTC Sense 2.5 weather updates not working?

I don't have the problem. I just updated my weather using EVDO

puff601 04-24-2010 02:11 PM

lol relax man, there is nothing wrong with your fone. the problem is with the weather site. it goes down from time to time. me and my lady went through the same thing a few times and it happened earlier today too. i got the error like 5x before it let uploaded. i have sprint and she has tmobile so ive saw this happen on both 6.1 and 6.5.

mstevens 04-24-2010 03:26 PM

Yeah, go figure: I decide to chill out about this for over a full day figuring it was probably the weather site, but once I conclude that it's been way too long and post, everything starts working 90 minutes later.

Brooklyncat 04-24-2010 03:38 PM

I knew something was up with that as well to. Always a problem, I'm thinking of flashing to a different rom then this stock. Cause I think sprint has crack heads on the job now. Tha crack head now network trust it. :drunken:

DaveTN 04-24-2010 05:19 PM

If you have a Sprint Airave (Femtocell) in your home - or within the range of your phone, your weather (the "my location" at least) will not update. If you manually choose your city, you should be able to update and it will work but not be as accurate. You may also want to delete any of the unneccesary cities in your list.

I have an airave in my home and I can never get my weater to update properly unless I unplug the airaves power or go about 200' away from my house.

Try this: Dial *99 and hit send. If you are connected to an airave, you'll hear a tone and a message that says you are within airave coverage. Even if you don't have one, a neighbor might.

Finally, go for a drive a few miles from your house and try to update your weather and see if that works. Sometimes the info from the cell towers gets messed up and you have to pull it from another tower.

Hope that helps.

David

puff601 04-24-2010 05:34 PM

this issue has nothing to do with what rom you are on. ive saw it happen on sprint 6.1, 6.5 and tmo 6.1, 6.5. if anything, get a reg editor and change the link address for the weather tab... seems like whatever website that link points to, goes down every once n a while.

mstevens 04-24-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTN (Post 1717233)
If you have a Sprint Airave (Femtocell) in your home - or within the range of your phone, your weather (the "my location" at least) will not update.

This is not correct. Weather has always previously updated over my Airave, and it is now once again doing so.

Of course, geolocation places me in New Jersey although I live several states and hundreds of miles away in New Hampshire, and when I'm in range of the Airave it shows My Location weather for New York (city).

Thus, weather normally updates over an Airave. It just updates for the wrong location.

Quote:

If you manually choose your city, you should be able to update and it will work but not be as accurate.

Why would weather for a manually-selected city not be as accurate? It has always looked identical as far as I can tell.

Quote:

You may also want to delete any of the unneccesary cities in your list.

As you might imagine, I have them on the list because I like to check them.

Quote:

Try this: Dial *99 and hit send. If you are connected to an airave, you'll hear a tone and a message that says you are within airave coverage. Even if you don't have one, a neighbor might.

If I have any cellular signal at my house, the Airave is working.

You can't imagine how far out in the boonies I live. If a neighbor has an Airave within range, they've illegally built a house on my property.

Quote:

Finally, go for a drive a few miles from your house and try to update your weather and see if that works. Sometimes the info from the cell towers gets messed up and you have to pull it from another tower.

As it happens, we drove over 200 miles yesterday. Weather did not update on either of our phones for that entire time.

For anyone reading this thread in the future, note this is most definitely NOT an Airave problem, as this happened when connected by WiFi or Activesync as well as while traveling through a large geographical range and connecting to what must have been dozens of different towers.

mstevens 04-24-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puff601 (Post 1717261)
get a reg editor and change the link address for the weather tab

Intriguing...

Any thoughts about weather server addresses that don't go down often and that are compatible with the Sense 2.5 Weather tab?

Brooklyncat 04-24-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puff601 (Post 1717261)
this issue has nothing to do with what rom you are on. ive saw it happen on sprint 6.1, 6.5 and tmo 6.1, 6.5. if anything, get a reg editor and change the link address for the weather tab... seems like whatever website that link points to, goes down every once n a while.

Yea I know that but 6.1 had problem as well. But a rom is my way of not rockin sprint's hard work they put into there roms we use puff.