PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

johnniwalker is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: why have you not switch to andriod? curious...

Sero.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint Ofcourse

tech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good work

im leaving sero becuase i want evo i have a tp2 and well time to go test out another os

Sprint Overdrive Pro 4G
Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None

quickstang is keeping up the good workquickstang is keeping up the good work

I'm not sure what andriod is, but android?

Well, SERO is my biggest reason. But with all of the new stuff coming out, I may dump it. I know we cant stay on it forever, so sooner or later we will all be out of luck.

I've played around with the droid, and I actually think it works very well. The EVO should be even better.

I like the app part. I like what I can find (even free stuff) I like that it is all in one place, and it will tell me when updates are available. In fact, future 2.2 will allow automatic updates.

(WM...I hate to say it, and personal opinion...there isn't CRAP for this phone. The apps are horrible, I have to log in to Marketplace to search for updates, and then other programs one by one. GARBAGE, and not user friendly.)

The browsing experience i've found is great with Dolphin or Xscope on the Droid. It was fast, and I had things up and running before I could even get anything going on my TP2. The lack of browsers, and browser updates or software in general on WM for that matter is terrible. Oh and the pinch to zoom I really like.

Everyone seems to be dumping WM. I'm not going to stay on a platform that no one wants to work with anymore. I even pointed that out in another thread of mine. Android is where the attention seems to be.

One thing I REALLY like about my TP2 is the keyboard. I like the arrows especially. I seem to not find that on other keyboards. I also like the fact I can touch the screen with a fingernail, stylus, or any other item.

All in all i'm done with WM. I have been a palm fan for many years, but after using Android, I found what I was missing. At least for me.

And with the speed, camera, HD video, and 4G alongside Android in the EVO...... it's a no brainer.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 PM
bbf
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2, LG Fathom
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile Prepaid

bbf is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
Why switch when I can run both?
Yep, I'm surprised at the large number of people in this thread that don't seem to know of the existence of a no-flash needed versions of Android for the TP2. Sheesh, there's even a whole sub-forum that this thread is posted in that is devoted to Android on the TP2.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=115443

Why bother locking oneself to ONLY android, when you can run WM6.5 and multiple versions of Android on the Sprint TP2 WITH SERO?

Last edited by bbf; 04-30-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

I have and i love it!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

JimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf View Post
Why bother locking oneself to ONLY android, when you can run WM6.5 and multiple versions of Android on the Sprint TP2 WITH SERO?
So what happens when your phone is running Android on the SERO plan? Do phone calls and data work? Does Sprint or any carrier for that matter have a way of determining what OS is running on your phone? Do they even care (other than when you take it in for service)?

Does Sprint decide if the phone is eligible for SERO by the phone itself rather than the OS that's on the phone? If that's the case, running Android on the TP2 with a SERO plan sounds like the ideal solution!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None

quickstang is keeping up the good workquickstang is keeping up the good work

I think many know about it, but many dont want to use it yet. Why?
I mean its great that it is being developed, but that still doesn't account for the fact it is not 100% working. I dont think people want to mess with it.

Also, it doesn't mean that software development will change the hardware... camera, processor speed, the 720p, or the 4G of an EVO

Semi-Working
  • Battery status, the battery meter is working but the calculations aren't proper. So it will show a status but won't be 100% proper by any means.
  • Power management: Definitely a work in progress, don't expect more than maybe 8 hours on a charge.
  • Charging, with latest kernel, they have updated the vbus settings to see power applied and show proper charging status. As mentioned though the meter isn't 100% so I don't know that it will shut off charging so don't leave hooked up for extended periods would be my recommendation.
  • GSensor. Works fine for games, but for standard desktop usage it is quirky, so best to disable Auto Rotation, refer to FAQ. But it will always rotate for you when you slide the keyboard open, so no loss.
  • Hardware 3D accel, iffy, but does work, but does cause some things not to. Refer to FAQ for how to enable.
Not Working Currently
  • External Speaker Sound (music, ringtones, etc.)
  • Full Speakerphone, External Speaker works in-call but Mice doesn't currently
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera
  • GPS
  • USB Mass Storage
  • MMS, at least that I have heard, I haven't tried myself.
  • Proper battery meter, it won't show you your battery life properly as mentioned above. Work in progress.
  • Proper charging, again, as mentioned above, works, but wouldn't trust leaving plugged in till the meter is functioning properly.
  • Battery temperature readings. Not calculated properly just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf View Post
Yep, I'm surprised at the large number of people in this thread that don't seem to know of the existence of a no-flash needed versions of Android for the TP2. Sheesh, there's even a whole sub-forum that this thread is posted in that is devoted to Android on the TP2.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=115443

Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

smileyface22 is keeping up the good worksmileyface22 is keeping up the good worksmileyface22 is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (TP2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

I'm still enjoying my TP2 and i'm just waiting to see what my next device is gonna be. Waiting to see what WP7 is gonna be like also. I really like Android but i'm not willing to commit to it. I like running it on my TP2 as well as Ubuntu aka Rhobuntu.

So yea i'm just hanging out enjoying my phone. No need to be greedy lol.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:01 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

hi. i want to switch to the evo4g on sprint when it comes out, ive been eligible since december and cant wait much longer. the upgrade has been on my mind bad for a few weeks now.
but i suddenly have some serious concerns. its mostly about unlocking and rooting and the such. hows this work?
who unlocks them? is it like htc.unlocks or some one else?
how fast is the process going to take to make an unlocker or to root a newly released phone?
i know the incredible is out. we'll see how long it takes to root that, or unlock it or whatever. im worried the sprint evo4g may take even longer. the tp2 unlocker took months to come out, and every carrier had that device. the evo will have a 4g radio and only be on sprint. although im sure it will sell like hotcakes, but who knows how locked down it may be. how soon do yall think it will be unlocked?
im ignorant to all things android. ive played with the port on my tp2, and a few friends phones, but theyre fresh and dont do anything good with their phones. anyway

Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: AT&T

Khemistry is a n00b
Cool Re: why have you not switch to andriod? curious...

I am currently under a Sprint Employee Account, so I get a huge discount on my bill. I just upgraded this past November, so I can't switch to the EVO without paying full prince. So what I'm gonna do I open up a brand new account in my name so I can get the discount. I'll be fine with the $69.99 any mobile plan.

And for those of you all saying that you're concerned about not being able to use your phone and a wifi hotspot, unless I'm not understanding something, isn't Sprint marketing the EVO largely on its ability to be able to serve as a wifi device for up to eight other devices??? That's one of the main reasons I'm switching to the EVO...that and the fact that 4G will be in my area before the end of the year is up, and that large screen is pure sex.

I am like a lot of others on here ... I love a physical keyboard ... the main reason why I got the TP2 ... but I figure that the screen on the EVO is so big, it won't be as big of an issue as it is on other fully-touchscreen phones like the iPhone or Hero, etc.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2