PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TCPMP or Coreplayer or HTC Album for watching videos on the TP2

Ok...these seem to be the most popular video playing options we have for our TP2s. I have yet to figure out which one is the best.

Meaning...

no skipping, minimal pixelating, audio and video matches and plays at normal speed, smooth.

I've tried both coreplayer and TCPMP and have preferred coreplayer. But have read that Album seems to handle video the best...

so lets see the opinions...

(ps: I usually watch my vids on my iPod touch...but would like to have a secondary option to keep BOTH my young uns happy.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800 > omnia i910 > Touch Pro 2 & Motorola DROID
Carrier: Verizon

jer07734 is keeping up the good workjer07734 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jer07734 Send a message via Yahoo to jer07734
Re: TCPMP or Coreplayer or HTC Album for watching videos on the TP2

ok, here's my take on all the video watching options.

if your vids are coded to mp4 and when you stop and close the program you don't care about it not remembering the location time of where your were - then the htc album wins hands down.

if you want to play most all video formats mp4, avi, mkv(sometimes), ect... then coreplayer or tcpmp(i use coreplayer more than tcpmp - just personal pref) is the way to go. you may see some frames skippped from time-to-time, but it's worth it to me bc it remembers where you stopped even after closing or a soft-reset.

for me and the version i have(1.3.5) sometimes coreplayer will not recognize the audio track of an mkv file. when this happens, i use tcpmp(tech1 pro07 digital play hd standalone version) and it seems to work just fine.

i also use tcpmp(with a subtitle plug-in) for when i want to watch a movie with non-hard encoded subtitles.

hope this helps

Last edited by jer07734; 04-18-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

+1 for HTC Album if the video is correctly formatted. It was discussed that HTC indeed uses hardware acceleration drivers only for playback using HTC Album so it will indeed will be smoother, Coreplayer developers were gonna add this to its next big update but its nowhere to be found yet
Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wirelessly posted (Opera 9.7 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

HTC album when its the correct format.works great with TV out.

Coreplayer plays about every format but it gives a blue flickering light when playing through tv out.

So i agree HTC album is best choice.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 by HTC

jigwashere is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to jigwashere

I generally use Windows Media Player Mobile rather than HTC Album. I believe both take advantage of the hardware acceleration drivers. Is that true? I didn't want to pay for Coreplayer, so I ruled that out early. I loved TCPMP on my Palm OS devices, but was never really happy with it on my TP2. I suppose I should figure out how to install it again as a backup for when I'm not playing .mp4.

To encode my videos, I'm basically choosing iPod Touch/iPhone presets. The TP2 can handle higher resolution, but I'm happy with the result and I don't need to recode the videos for my wife to watch on her Touch. For TV programs recorded on my XP MCE desktop, I use MCEbuddy freeware to strip the commercials and recode. I happen to use Handbrake for DVDs (after ripping with DVDFab). There may be better options, but since it's working for me, I'm not about to mess with it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

rtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If you would like to convert any video to watch in your TP2, you can use a program called MP4forHD which takes any video and converts it to MP4 perfect for watching in TP2 and then you can just use HTC Album, which uses Hardware Acceleration and thus, excellent quality.

As said above, if you care to be able to play multiple formats, I prefer CorePlayer more than TCPMP in that case.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

More options and uses for the core so thats my first choice.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2