PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

chirawat is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My experience using TP2 outside the US

So I am in Thailand visiting family this month. I am fairly technical (works in IT) but don't really know much about CDMA/GSM - having been a Sprint (CDMA) user for the last 10 years. Just thought I'll share my experience with everyone with the TP2 being worldphone and all...

- First I called Sprint before the trip, they activate my phone in the Worldwide program which means I can keep the Sprint SIM in my phone and either pay $1.99 per min or pay extra $5 a month and get the rate down to $1.69 per min (ouch!). Good for emergency I guess... I used this to call my family in the US during a stopover in Japan and it worked fine. The instruction on what prefix to give to the number came in email after I called Sprint.

- Once I get to Thailand, I bought a local prepaid SIM and replace the one in my TP2 with it. The price for the SIM with activation was approx. US$2 and I also prepaid about $30 extra... With the local SIM in the phone, now my phone doesn't answer to the US number anymore, but the call price is now about 3 cents/minute for local call, and 12 cents/minute to call the US. Be aware that in the US the number will sometimes show up and sometimes show 'Unknown caller'. The first time I called my family member in the US, the person didn't pick up thinking it's some telemarketer.

- Note that prefix for calling international will be different depends on the country/service you are using. Here in Thailand, with one network you can just use plus (+) sign by long-pressing the number 0 then the US number you want to call (example: +13125551212) while with another network you need to put in '004' prefix (example: 00413125551212). I chose to go with the 004 one due to cheaper rate, and just save the numbers like that to my US contacts as 'Home2' numbers.

- Data: again depends on country/service provider. Luckily I can read Thai and was able to set mine up after a few hours Googling local forums (the jetlag did come in handy...). Customer reps in Thailand did try to be helpful but they wren't able to help me with an unfamiliar phone and it's settings. I did sign up for 6,000 minutes of EDGE (bleh - 3G is still limited here) for 199 Thai Baht per month (about US$5). This is a monthly option to my prepaid plan but the rep said all I need to do is to call them and cancel the option before I leave the country. Finally I used the EDGE instruction from one of the forums, set up a new connection under Sprint and set it as the one to use for all data connection, and lives happily ever after... The EDGE minutes are counted when the phone make data call, even though it shows connection being maintain at all time just like in the US. I have been watching my phone using about 300 minutes a day for the last few days (from the provider's account maint/check your balance screen). While it's slow, I can live with it this month, especially for 5 bucks.

- GPS is working fine after I ran QuickGPS once I figure the data connection setup. Before that it was much slower getting fix but still works.

- At least for Thailand and Japan airport, the charger works as-is, no need to get any adapter.

Hope this helps someone or at least y'all find it an entertaining read... Sawasdee from Thailand!

Irrelevant add-on - GSM version of TP2 is selling here for approx. US$800. Pretty amazing that people are buying it considering that my friends working in manager roles in companies like IBM and MSFT are getting paid about 30% to 40% what a comparable role would be paid in the US... I won't be complaining that much about my TP2 price any more... ($199 with contract extension and $100 mail-in rebate just arrived .

iPhone is about the same price and everyone (brother/sister/their spouses/aunt/uncle/etc) are using it.

Last edited by chirawat; 12-14-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: remove country-specific from title as others chime in with addn'l info
This post has been thanked 13 times.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO™ 3D

furiousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good work
Re: My experience using TP2 outside the US (Thailand mostly)

Good info. I'm going to India for few weeks hopefully phone works.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I am now in Malaysia. I was in Singapore and Japan on transit.

When I arrived in Narita, I turn on my Sprint TP2 and I got a txt msg and it got instruction on how to call USA and it is $2 a min. It pick up the time correctly.

When I arrived in Singapore, I went to the currency exhange counter and got me a Starhub $15 prepaid SIM card and the incoming/outgoing call, txt msg and internet work. I got it to work on my wmwifirouter too.

I am in Malaysia now, everything works as the same as in Singapore. I use Digi prepaid. Rate is RM.012 per minute after you hit RM1. Unlimited internet is RM5 per day on you cellphone which I tether using Wmwifirouter and it works.

Keep in mind for wmwifirouter and email to work, you may have to pick the correct connection setting. For Digi, they have 4 settings for SMS, MMS, Internet and forgot the other one. I think for Sprint it just says "Internet".

I disable the thing where it auto put a "1" when you dial a 10 digit # as they use 10 # number here too.

For GPS lock, it takes a few minutes to lock on to it. And the GPS signal goes in and out. Is it because of spotty GPS coverage in this part of the world?

Yah, since TP2 can only handle EDGE, hence this is what I am getting also. I went to speedtest to test and download is avg 220 kbps and upload is 100+ kbps.

Got any questions, just ask me.

Last edited by chong67; 12-14-2009 at 11:21 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 1/2, 6800, 6700, Palm 650, Moto Q, Krzr

robertkmagill is keeping up the good workrobertkmagill is keeping up the good workrobertkmagill is keeping up the good work

Thats good news!!
I was wondering if anyone used thier Sprint TP2
to place calls from the London Area? If so, How
are the call quality And data speeds?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
Yah, since TP2 can only handle EDGE, hence this is what I am getting also. I went to speedtest to test and download is avg 220 kbps and upload is 100+ kbps..
This is false, the TP2 can handle HSPA just fine, it is not just locked into EDGE. This week I did a bandwidth speed test on HSPA in Germany and I had 3.5Mb down and 2Mb up. Supported video chatting when tethered.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(TP2): Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
Yah, since TP2 can only handle EDGE, hence this is what I am getting also. I went to speedtest to test and download is avg 220 kbps and upload is 100+ kbps..
This is false, the TP2 can handle HSPA just fine, it is not just locked into EDGE. This week I did a bandwidth speed test on HSPA in Germany and I had 3.5Mb down and 2Mb up. Supported video chatting when tethered.
wow im so jealous!!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh85 View Post
Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(TP2): Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2)

wow im so jealous!!
You're telling me! I thought I was doing great getting the speeds I was getting on EVDO in the states..... this just blew my mind!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

Thanks, very informative. Should prove to be useful for my trip to Asia early next year!

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

evertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuff

To corroborate others regarding HSPA, I am also using HSPA in Germany. I'm using a prepaid service called Tchibo (uses O2's network). They have a flat rate $20 a month for HSPA data, and 15c a minute to other mobiles. Or, you can get a 100min pack for $10, and unlimited tchibo-tchibo for $5, which is what I added. The funny thing is that it's way faster than my hotel wifi internet... during peak usage I can't get more than 500kbps with my hotel wifi, but tethered to my tp2 I get at least 1Mbps, sometimes over 2. Also, GPS works great... get a lock in 30 seconds or less in either google maps or IGO.

Last edited by evertec; 12-14-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

for those using hspa, i thought hspa could attain speeds that were extremely high like 10mbps or faster, is this true if you decided to upgrade your sim card?
Google is the next skynet

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2