PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   synced with Hotmail, contacts now deleted. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118382)

meanfishy 04-18-2010 12:03 AM

synced with Hotmail, contacts now deleted.

My gf just got a TP2 from US Cellular running all stock and synced her hotmail account to her phone using windows live. Now when she logs into her hotmail account from a comp she has no contacts. but when she looks in her phone contact list all of her contacts have been moved to her phone and are all there. Also on her phone the contacts have been broken down into multiple listed. say she has 3 e-mails for 1 person, her phone now has 3 listing for the same person each one with a different email address.

I have looked under her setting and the sync boxes are grayed out in the on position. also looked at her hotmail from a comp and do see where her contacts can be imported from her phone.

I don't have/use hotmail or windows live. My questions are,

1. how to get her contacts back to where they can be viewed from a comp.
2. keep the contacts on both her phone and the comp and if a change is made it changes in both locations.
3. merge the same names together

Thanks

ACHlLLES 04-18-2010 12:19 AM

Re: synced with Hotmail, contacts now deleted.

gotta make sure to pick which account to sync with. really shouldn't sync contacts with multiple sources.

meanfishy 04-18-2010 12:29 AM

she is syncing with her hotmail account, that is where her contact were moved from to her phone. you have to use windows live to sync with hotmail

ACHlLLES 04-18-2010 01:09 AM

I get she uses the hotmail, but really doesn't need to sync the contacts (there's a option you check off for that). I learned my lesson long ago with hotmail account contacts - once deleted, it's gone. Tell her to use myphone for saving contacts instead, and tell her not to sync with more than one sources because it's either going to duplicate every sync, or delete them.

meanfishy 04-18-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHlLLES (Post 1705082)
I get she uses the hotmail, but really doesn't need to sync the contacts (there's a option you check off for that). I learned my lesson long ago with hotmail account contacts - once deleted, it's gone. Tell her to use myphone for saving contacts instead, and tell her not to sync with more than one sources because it's either going to duplicate every sync, or delete them.

Yeah That's what I thought to but in order to use 6.5 you have to use windows live, she is running all stock and it wont allow you get your hotmail E-mails another way. under the sync setting the boxes allowing you to sync the contacts are grayed out in the "ON" position. she is not wanting to use hotmail as a backup location. She want to have her contacts both on her phone and on hotmail from a comp, send/receive her hotmail E-mails on her phone. she only has one 1 E-mail address synced to the phone. the addresses are not duplicates there were broken down into multiple listing; example for a single contact she has 3 E-mails, @yahoo, @gmail, @hotmail. before she synced using windows live these E-mails would be under 1 listing when she looked at it on hotmail from a comp. Now on her phone each E-mail has its own listing, so there are 3 entries for the same person with a different E-mail address in each listing

ACHlLLES 04-18-2010 01:44 AM

She can have both, but she will have to rebuild all her contact info anyways.

As far as grayed out sync option, see if clearing password, and relogging in helps. I think the first time you log on to the windows live will give you the option to sync options for contacts.

nrfitchett4 04-18-2010 02:01 AM

you can use hotmail without live.
setup for normal email, but screw up the address. then it will ask you to manually enter info. this is it:
Hotmail Settings:
Incoming Server (POP3 Server): pop3.live.com
Incoming Server POP Port: 995
Incoming Server POP SSL Encryption: Yes (On or Required)

Outgoing Server (SMTP Server): smtp.live.com
Outgoing Server SMTP Port: 25
Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes (On – Use POP username and password or Hotmail credentials)
Outgoing Server TLS or SSL Secure Encrypted Connection: Yes (On or Required)

just name it Hotmail and all is good. I don't use windows live and this works for me.

meanfishy 04-18-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHlLLES (Post 1705109)
She can have both, but she will have to rebuild all her contact info anyways.

As far as grayed out sync option, see if clearing password, and relogging in helps. I think the first time you log on to the windows live will give you the option to sync options for contacts.

well bummer, that means I will be rebuilding her contacts :-/ is there anway to export to hotmail from the phone or save a csv file and import into hotmail?

ACHlLLES 04-18-2010 03:01 AM

You can rebuild via PC's outlook, then export in CSV format. CSV format will work for hotmail and most email accounts.

meanfishy 04-21-2010 07:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACHlLLES (Post 1705181)
You can rebuild via PC's outlook, then export in CSV format. CSV format will work for hotmail and most email accounts.

When I connect the phone to active sync it "Synchronized" but when I open up outlook 2007 none of the contacts from the phone are in outlook? any suggestions?

I synced the device up using Active Sync. however, the contacts are not showing in Outlook. Here is a screen shot of active sync & Outlook. I need to know where the contacts are.

Thanks