PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: Rogers

blklexluthor is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation A fix for the failure to wake/SOD, well for some!

Well because this community has turned my phone into a stud from a dud nows my chance to chance to give back.
Grab a coffee or a beer, sit back and enjoy the read.

April 23: Edited for some of your stubborn phones.

Warning: ***I can't guarantee this will work for your phone so results may vary but it has worked for 3 phones I fixed***

I've waited a month to be sure that this works because every time I'd uninstall a cab and my phone worked fine for an hour or a day I thought I found a fix...but then reality kicked it the very next day. So rather then starting another complaining thread I decided to post a solution.

Here s what worked for me....

1. Optional yet recommended. If you are using an aftermarket wall charger.....go back to the OEM usb cable that came with your phone...yes its a little flimsy...(at least mine was) If your car manual recommends 5w30...you put in 15w20 in your car and something goes wrong down the road....who should you blame the manufacturer? your girlfriend? momma?

2. Flash back to STOCK and CLEAR STORAGE 2-3 TIMES. (You should notice your backlight working perfect again) Then flash to the rom of your choice and then CLEAR STORAGE 1-3 between each time check to see if its working properly... Once you find it working well....Move on to the next step p.s. learn to use sashimi or a similar program makes life soo much easier.

An alternative to overdosing on that, "clear memory" button that you can use is Task 29 as mentioned by mjh8812 to fully destroy and annihilate all (backlight/screen system files) flash your rom of choice.

3. Install lumos v10 rc2 (yes it will work fine on the tp2) when your doing the calibration use natural sunlight preferably not on a bright day) so that in low light levels your phone will have no trouble sensing light. On certain programs like coreplayer or your ebook reader you can even have special settings to have a brighter screen no matter what lighting conditions your under. The proximity sensor on our phones is also on my list of suspects....especially when I'd look in the registry and it would say that it was disabled, "0" but yet when I'm on a phone call it works?! * **After you've done the calibration, saved and soft reset your backlight should be working just fine***

4. If you are using a locking program, such as s2u2 upgrade to the newest version...I use s2u2 2.40. Regardless of the app your using keep it up to date. If you going stock, you just saved yourself a step
After doing all these things I haven't had a failure to wake/SOD in one month no matter how hard I try to get one.

5. Lastly now that you got it working.....DON'T drop your phone... ever!

However, if you do and your phone still works but the problem starts again, repeat steps 1 - 5 and cross your fingers.

After I jumped through all these hoops I haven't had a single problem with my backlight in 1 month. Believe me when I tell you I hated this phone, but thats changed So after jumping through all these hoops I hope that you fall back in love with your tp2 like I have this past month.

Peace

Last edited by blklexluthor; 04-24-2010 at 03:17 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

mjh8812 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to mjh8812
Re: A fix for the failure to wake/SOD *warning, long read*

after using Task 29 and then reflashing to mightys latest 2.5 rom i havent had the issue...only time i sometimes have issue is when mighty is still loading and i turn the screen off before it fully boots sometimes its just delayed in coming back on until after everything loads..i charge my phone usually with the HTC charger and usb cable..but sometimes with my motorola car charger, sometimes a motorola wall charger, and sometimes even a blackberry wall charger..and have had no issues..(that i know of)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

blklexluthor is a n00b

I'll edit my post it appears that "Task 29" does exactly what, "clear memory" is suppose to do (it kills all the roaches the first time) more time efficiently. So I'll add that to the post only difference on my phone is my screen ALWAYS come on after going off whether I turn it off during loading, its turned off manually or automatically, its left sitting for 10 hours, or I leave a few programs running and it goes off.

Lastly, like I said in the post it the charger isn't the cause I was just trying to limit all errors on my part to single out the prob...but now that my phone is fixed and works perfect.... I'm gonna stick to what the manual says.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

mjh8812 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to mjh8812

[QUOTE= Lastly, like I said in the post it the charger isn't the cause I was just trying to limit all errors on my part to single out the prob...but now that my phone is fixed and works perfect.... I'm gonna stick to what the manual says. [/QUOTE]

no its good advice...i wish everyone followed those rules at the repair center i work at..we get so many phones in for charge port issues and i bet some of it is because they use 3rd party chargers..
Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 PM
rlw
PPCGeeks Regular

rlw is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklexluthor View Post
[COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]Well because this community has turned my phone into a stud from a dud nows my chance to chance to give back. =D>

Grab a coffee or a beer....or mix both, sit back and enjoy the read.

I too had failure to wake/Sleep of Death problems in fact every time my phone went off either manually or automatically it wouldn't come back on no matter what I tried (removing the stylus, opening the keyboard, pressing the button repeatedly. (Thank goodness for psshutxp, oddly I also noticed that jiggling the plug around where the outlet is on the phone also made it come on) I've read almost all of your stories and I experienced every symptom that you are having. Let me tell you now that it doesn't have anything to do with the cabs that you have installed...why do I say that if you carefully read peoples stories you'll notice that people using completely different apps are having the same problems. So then your next thought is....it must be a rom issue?! Nope not that either I use to be a flash-a-holic I tried everything TRUST ME! lol It happened on every rom I tried. So my next thought was to flash back to stock (for me its telus) SURPRISINGLY the problem was still there and I couldn't seem to understand how on earth this problem survived a hard reset. So then a little tear ran down my eye...(what?....I don't have a warranty lol) I'm just kidding about the tear.... sort of! But the anger was there

After uninstalling and reinstalling everything cab by cab, hard reseting, soft reseting, opening up my phone (and I mean stripped it butt naked), remapping keys, and even going as far as making it so that the phone never goes off lol (bad solution you'll barely get 5 hours without even touching it) I've come to the conclusion that the problem is a system software problem which causes a hardware problem...so its both

I've waited a month to be sure that this works because every time I'd uninstall a cab and my phone worked fine for an hour or a day I thought I found a fix...but then reality kicked it the very next day. At one point I thought it was pocketshield, then smartlock, then coreplayer, then keyboard config, then nitrogen...the list goes on lol

Heres what worked for me....[/COLOR]

1. If you are using an aftermarket wall charger (burn it...ok ok...but stop using it and go back to the OEM usb cable that came with your phone...yes its a little flimsy...at least mine was but believe me after a few full charges it will make a world of a difference. Lets look at an example, your car manual recommends 5w30...you put in 15w20 your car will still work but eventually you will have problems so get a couple full charges in with your oem oil... I mean usb cable!

2. Flash back to stock and CLEAR STORAGE 2-3 TIMES < yes you read right the more the merrier! Then flash to the rom of your choice (I've been using cfay 1.3, the only rom I was able to get IGO8, and coreplayer to run the way it did on 6.1 without any scripts) and then again CLEAR STORAGE 2-3 TIMES!! The more the merrier!! And make sure to remove your battery and even sim card before doing so....(why u ask? ...I was trying to narrow down the problem and its what I did so stop asking questions damnit lol) < sorry its the caffeine talking!

An alternative to overdosing on that, "clear memory" button that you can use is Task 29 as mentioned by mjh8812 to fully destroy and annihilate all traces of roaches (backlight/screen system files) and then flashing your rom of choice.... but hey I guess I'm just old fashioned and I told you what I used.

3. Once thats done install lumos v10 rc2 (yes it will work fine on the tp2) when your doing the calibration use natural sunlight preferably not on a bright day) so that in low light levels your phone will have no trouble sensing light. The proximity sensor on our phones is also on my list of suspects....I don't have proof though.....yet!!!

4. If you are using a locking program, such as s2u2 upgrade to the newest version...I use s2u2 2.34

After doing all these things I haven't had a failure to wake/SOD in one month no matter how hard I try to get one.

Does this guy know what he's talking about, lets see...

The only way that this problem can survive a hard reset back to stock is that it must be some system ****roach files that refuse to die...so by clearing storage multiple times your literally stepping on those ****roaches. (hmmm.... I believe Mighty himself told you to do so to avoid (weird) problems. It almost as if when flashing from 6.1 to 6.5 SOMETIMES those backlight/screen ****roach files survive the nuclear bomb of a hard reset and don't die so when the new roaches come in there's a turf war! lol It sounds funny but I honestly think its the truth. PROVE ME WRONG!! Therefore, it could be directly related to the software that allows us to flash in the first place. I'm not trying to step on any toes but... moving on.

why the usb plug change....
Although the use of different shaped usb cables will still allow you to charge/sync your phone in the manual it actually states (ONLY THE AC ADAPTER AND USB cable sync cable provided with your device must be used to charge the battery. Trust me I tried to break down the problem like a science and realized its hard to put blame on other things when your not following the manual. I found that the problem was much worst when I was using an aftermarket plug.

why the change to lumos...
(Ahh back to those gangsta ****roaches) Well, there are only 2 backlight replacement programs (also known as the cops/military lol) I've lost faith in the 6.5 roaches to do their job properly without the cops/military watching them at all times....I've been able to find Ageye G-Light which does work on the phone....However, lumos gives you much more settings and a more smoother transition between light changes. I don't use manila or sense (what memory hogs, and too many steps to do simple tasks), I personally thought spb was ugly so I use iphonetoday 1.3 <1.5.1 is the newest version but I don't like fixing what in my opinion isn't broke (so let the hatred begin lol) and my battery will last 10-12 hours with moderate-heavy use....light use it will last a few days.

Finally, your lock program....
I used s2u2 v2.30 for the longest time and I can't quite prove that it was a culprit but I still had it as a suspect and I believe it added to the problem because whenever your phone goes off and you press the power button to come back on it calls to the locking program to lock the screen. It also allows you to program how much time before the locking screen will pop up etc etc... bottom line your locking program works with your backlight/screen system software so if they are supplying guns to the ****roaches they're just as guilty so keep yours up to date

After I jumped through all these hoops I haven't had a single problem with my backlight in 1 month. Believe me when I tell you I hated this phone, especially when my friend and his damn iphone 3gs would rub it in .... But now that the problem is solved and I have the customization of windows mobile, the functionality of an iphone, and a hard keyboard he keeps his mouth firmly shut So after jumping through all these hoops I hope that you fall back in love with your tp2 because this past month like I have.

Peace
Thank you, thank you!! I can't wait until I get home tonight to give this a try. One question, what is this Task 29 and where do I find out how to perform it? It sounds like it may save some time compared to doing all of those clear storage tasks. However, if I have to I will do the clear storage route because I am sick and tired of the SOD!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

blklexluthor is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/764; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

After today I never heard about it heres a link that explains it really well http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/wiforums/GetThread.php?t=116920&f=97
it appears to accomplish exactly what I wanted to achieve just faster.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

task29 completely wipes the phone clean of everything. if you use this one, it will wipe everything but the radio, some will even wipe the radio, but then you have to reinstall it.

run this exe while your phone is plugged in to activesync. it will run just like any other ROM, but after wiping, it will get stuck on the black tp2 screen. from there it is finished, disconnect phone, then hold down vol down button while pushing in the reset button under the cover to put it into bootloader. from there flash your ROM.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Task29.zip (452.9 KB, 43 views) Click for barcode!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 PM
rlw
PPCGeeks Regular

rlw is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
task29 completely wipes the phone clean of everything. if you use this one, it will wipe everything but the radio, some will even wipe the radio, but then you have to reinstall it.

run this exe while your phone is plugged in to activesync. it will run just like any other ROM, but after wiping, it will get stuck on the black tp2 screen. from there it is finished, disconnect phone, then hold down vol down button while pushing in the reset button under the cover to put it into bootloader. from there flash your ROM.
Thank you for the update and the file. I will give it a try.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

it's much faster than the flash dance and since it completely wipes the ROM, there is no flashing back to stock before reflashing, or any chance of any files being left behind.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

pete111 is a n00b
Re: A fix for the failure to wake/SOD, Finally!

Followed the above guide, didn't work for me. Back to the store of replacement I guess...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2