PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

ruckstande is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Traveling to Ireland, what can this phone do?

This is the first time I'm taking a cell phone abroad with me overseas from the US. I'm heading to Ireland and have a Verizon Touch Pro II I usually use for work. If I understand correctly, this is a world phone so it is already unlocked. Can I just purchase and international sim card, pop it into the phone and have it work immediately? What else should I know about this?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Traveling to Ireland, what can this phone do?

if you're just looking to use it in Ireland just to have a phone to use for voice calls and texts...you're good to go. just buy a local sim card when you get to the emerald isle and you're good to go. don't forget to switch your radio from cdma to gsm.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (off that) ---> (on to) Touch Pro 2
Carrier: The Now Network

RockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to RockSta®

yes it should worked immediately, I took mine to Guyana popped in one of their local sim and had it up and running is seconds, I never did get data to work tho....dont think they could have handled this phones data...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSta® View Post
yes it should worked immediately, I took mine to Guyana popped in one of their local sim and had it up and running is seconds, I never did get data to work tho....dont think they could have handled this phones data...
Incorrect. You must call Verizon and get the sim unlock code so any sim will work. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...on+sim*+unlock
Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I barely used this phone, I have Sprint and have a Blackberry for my personal phone so I don't know squat about the Touch. So basically just pop the card in and switch the radio over. Will anything happen to my data? Currently my phone uses ActiveSync to connect to my company mail server. Do I have to shut that off so I don't incur any random charges?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (off that) ---> (on to) Touch Pro 2
Carrier: The Now Network

RockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to RockSta®

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
Incorrect. You must call Verizon and get the sim unlock code so any sim will work. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...on+sim*+unlock
you would be correct if he was subscribed to VZW, which he is not...he is on Sprint and the SIM is unlocked out of the box.....
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckstande View Post
I barely used this phone, I have Sprint and have a Blackberry for my personal phone so I don't know squat about the Touch. So basically just pop the card in and switch the radio over. Will anything happen to my data? Currently my phone uses ActiveSync to connect to my company mail server. Do I have to shut that off so I don't incur any random charges?
i digress on my previous post...per drewcam's post, better contact verizon first. but since it's a company phone, your company may be the one that needs to call for it since it's their account. but once you get the sim unlocked by verizon and pop in a local sim card, you'll just get an error message on your activesync unless you set the phone up for data. you'll need to manual setup the data settings for the local sim you're using for data to work. but since you're not looking to have data, you'll be fine.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So to be clear, I don't have to call Verizon but I should anyway. I appreciate all of the help btw. This prevents me from upgrading my phone with Sprint and signing another 2 year contract.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:39 AM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckstande View Post
So to be clear, I don't have to call Verizon but I should anyway. I appreciate all of the help btw. This prevents me from upgrading my phone with Sprint and signing another 2 year contract.
you would need to contact big red to unlock your phone. read the link that drewcam gave in his post.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sweet. Thank you all.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2