PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2: Verizon vs Sprint vs Tmobile vs AT&T

I'm trying to decide which version of the TP2 to get, as my "other phone". That is, I want to use it on multiple carriers, definitely GSM carriers, both domestically and int'l, but maybe also CDMA carriers (e.g. PagePlus). Also I'd like to know any important "gotchas" for each version. So could someone give me a quickie run down on the important differences between these TP2 versions? generally, but also here are some specific questions:

- I gather that both CDMA versions are locked for each carrier's GSM int'l roaming SIM, but that at least the Verizon TP2 can be fairly easily unlocked. I *definitely* want to use this TP2 with both Tmo and with random int'l SIMs. Can the Sprint version also be unlocked as easily?

- The Tmo and AT&T versions support different 3G bands. Remind me how this might affect usage int'lly... I think there is little chance that I will want to use the TP2 on AT&T, but I definitely want Tmo and, say Europe and Japan. I don't think I care about Tmo's 1700Mhz 3G band.

- Any other major diffs? JVM support (does Verizon's come with a JVM? I presume it is easy to add)? TV Out? (do all have it?)

thanks...
Old 04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: TP2: Verizon vs Sprint vs Tmobile vs AT&T

Sprints is quad band so you can use their good (nonATT) CDMA network domestically and put either their (cheap) international SIM in or whatever else pleases you overseas. Many of us use Skype overseas on the cheap Sprint data network.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I'm trying to decide which version of the TP2 to get, as my "other phone". That is, I want to use it on multiple carriers, definitely GSM carriers, both domestically and int'l, but maybe also CDMA carriers (e.g. PagePlus). Also I'd like to know any important "gotchas" for each version. So could someone give me a quickie run down on the important differences between these TP2 versions? generally, but also here are some specific questions:

- I gather that both CDMA versions are locked for each carrier's GSM int'l roaming SIM, but that at least the Verizon TP2 can be fairly easily unlocked. I *definitely* want to use this TP2 with both Tmo and with random int'l SIMs. Can the Sprint version also be unlocked as easily?

- The Tmo and AT&T versions support different 3G bands. Remind me how this might affect usage int'lly... I think there is little chance that I will want to use the TP2 on AT&T, but I definitely want Tmo and, say Europe and Japan. I don't think I care about Tmo's 1700Mhz 3G band.

- Any other major diffs? JVM support (does Verizon's come with a JVM? I presume it is easy to add)? TV Out? (do all have it?)

thanks...
The AT&T and Tmo version can't be used on page plus because its CDMA..the CDMA versions are probably better being Sprint and Verizon.

As for unlocked..I think sprint is unlocked already and Verizon actually needs unlocking but this is minor.

Internationally the CDMA versions will work flawlessly. And you can make the CDMA versions SIM unlocked in the USA for a small price.

As for JVM you mean Java Virtual Machine? you can just download JavaFX or Esmeratic Jbed

TV out you have but need a wire for it

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

KilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KilgoreBA

Verizon- will work on CDMA and GSM- call Verizon Global Support for free Unlock code so that phone can even be used on GSM networks in the USA, your account must be in good standing though. No FM Radio.

Sprint- will work on CDMA and GSM- already unlocked for overseas GSM networks. If you want it to be unlocked for USA GSM networks, buy the unlocker Radio from Olipro in the TP2 Upgrade Forums. No FM Radio.

Tmobile- GSM only, FM Radio works fine.

At&T- GSM only, extra button on side for Push to Talk, FM Radio works fine

All four will only work in 2G when using data overseas
Radio 2.23.00WV

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2