PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

kidwolf908 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sleep OF Death!

You all know what it is... why is it plaguing my TP2?!?

I recently upgraded (2-3 weeks ago) to VZW's 6.5 and for the past week, I have been getting at least 1-2 SOD's each day. Sometimes 5 or so!!!

If you don't know what I am talking about, the sleep of death is a condition where you hit the screen off/sleep button and afterward, the phone never wakes up! If you pull out the stylus,t he buttons will light and if you hit the end key, it will tell you to press the backlight button to turn on the screen, but doing so never wakes the phone up!

I have heard that disabling Sense 2.1's animated weather on the home screen fixes this, but I have tried it and can verify that it does not solve the problem.

Does anyone have any idea of a fix for this?

***This never happened on my TP2 when I was on VZW 6.1***
Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

aj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularaj48198 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Sleep OF Death!

It may be an issue with you lock screen if you have it installed. It did that with my phone until I uninstalled that app. But at the same time, I am on Sprint and using a custom rom so my solution could be way off compared to your problem. But its worth looking into.

Last edited by aj48198; 02-17-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

anand525 is keeping up the good workanand525 is keeping up the good workanand525 is keeping up the good work

do the flash dance and/or change custom rom you're on.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible & HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

QMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to QMeli907 Send a message via Yahoo to QMeli907

I've heard once that it was caused from having an auto disconnect data cab on your device. I had this issue, so i removed this file, and everything worked just peachy

Don't click me
Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

see this is what sucks. i dont run a custom rom. i also don't have any special lockscreen installed apart from lockdevice 1.6 so the device locks when i turn off the backlight.

I also don't run a custom rom so I don't know why I would have to do the flash dance.

I also don't have the data disconnect cab installed :-/

I will try uninstalling my lockscreen, but that can't be a permanent fix because the 6.5 lockscreen is perfect for me.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Do you underclock by any chance? I've noticed that I get the sleep of death when I underclock my phone too much. Anything lower than 384mhz gives me problems.

Barring that, I'd try flashing a custom ROM(they're often better than stock, especially on Verizon), and just install programs one by one till you narrow down the culprit. Sometimes the most random programs can cause issues like this.

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
Do you underclock by any chance? I've noticed that I get the sleep of death when I underclock my phone too much. Anything lower than 384mhz gives me problems.

Barring that, I'd try flashing a custom ROM(they're often better than stock, especially on Verizon), and just install programs one by one till you narrow down the culprit. Sometimes the most random programs can cause issues like this.
I don't underclock the phone at all... in fact I had no idea you could even do that. would you mind pointing me in the direction of that thread?

Also, i'm kicking around the idea of moving to sense 2.5 anyway, so I might make the jump and see if this problem goes away.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf908 View Post

Does anyone have any idea of a fix for this?

***This never happened on my TP2 when I was on VZW 6.1***
Sorry for your issue, and I have a comment only, I could not handle all the various little issues I seemed to pick up when I tried the verizon 6.5 oem rom. I know alot rave about it and thats fine. I tried several customs and found alot of peace and stability. I'm currently back on 6.1 oem and was wondering if you'd tried flashing back. yeah, it's 6.1 but imho, so what? It works and works very fine. If you haven't tried it you should then flash forward again if you want, that might help also.... cheers
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post

I understand better battery possibly, but I cannot imagine under-clocking a TP2. That would be scary......
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

bastian74 is becoming a great contributor

mine does that some times, sprint stock tp2 6.1 i have a lock program too. not s2u the other main one. i noticed it happens more if i sleep the phone while its very busy, like if i open or close an app without waiting for it to complete or if i sleep while still booting up

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2