PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

hc3cuz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help! Lost all my contacts

Ok so yesterday i had to hard reset my phone. A couple months ago my girlfriend was having probs with her phone (palm treo) and called customer service and long story short she had to hard reset and before she hard reset they told her to goto file explorer and copy n paste the "pim" file from her device to her storage card so that she would not lose contacts, then once done she would copy n paste it back to her phone. So after i heard that i did the same for my TP2. After i hard reset, i pasted the "pim" bacj into my device and NOTHING NO CONTACTS. Anybody know of any way for me to get my contacts back?

Also No i didnot have any program to back up my contacts and No i do not have it backed up online...

PLEASE HELP?!?!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Help! Lost all my contacts

Copying a pim is flaky at best. Always use something like pimbackup. You may be out of luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

hc3cuz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcam888 View Post
Copying a pim is flaky at best. Always use something like pimbackup. You may be out of luck.
well hopefully i can find my old nextel that has at least half the #s that i had in the TP2. Can someone please post up a cab to back up contacts. Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

the best back up programs cost money. if your on the latest stock sprint rom, you should have microsoft myphone built in. its not bad for restoring contacts, texts and whatnot. myphone can also be found here...
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...hlight=myphone
post #3
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

loube is just getting started

I would recommend using Microsoft My Phone its free and backups up everything on the phone to the web. It comes with 200mb of default web storage. You can also do a search on these forums for PPCPimBackup that can backup your data to the local memory card and its free also. Both of these programs can be scheduled.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint SERO

itbmd is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to itbmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc3cuz View Post
well hopefully i can find my old nextel that has at least half the #s that i had in the TP2. Can someone please post up a cab to back up contacts. Thanks
Here you go; as you can see, it hasn't been updated since 2008. However, it does what you (and I) need perfectly. Copy the cab to your device, then run the program and select backup. After it's done, it will output a file to that folder, and you copy THAT file to your PC. I have that file saved on my external, and my email; just in case. Every time before I flash I backup with PIM and update with that file. HTH.

http://www.dotfred.net/default.htm

Also, there are newer programs like MyPhone that the cool kids use. I however, don't need that yet; as PIM works perfectly for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbmd View Post
Here you go; as you can see, it hasn't been updated since 2008. However, it does what you (and I) need perfectly. Copy the cab to your device, then run the program and select backup. After it's done, it will output a file to that folder, and you copy THAT file to your PC. I have that file saved on my external, and my email; just in case. Every time before I flash I backup with PIM and update with that file. HTH.

http://www.dotfred.net/default.htm

Also, there are newer programs like MyPhone that the cool kids use. I however, don't need that yet; as PIM works perfectly for me.
the good thing about using pim backup is that you have your own backup file. i like having it right there as opposed to myphone having up there in the cloud somewhere. personaly i use a preregistered copy of sprite back up from a somewhat shady source, so i cant post it here.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i910 Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

cmseeley is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to cmseeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by loube View Post
I would recommend using Microsoft My Phone its free and backups up everything on the phone to the web. It comes with 200mb of default web storage. You can also do a search on these forums for PPCPimBackup that can backup your data to the local memory card and its free also. Both of these programs can be scheduled.
I use google sync. It works like an exchange server. All the contacts are in your google contacts, and it also syncs email, and calendar.

Best,

Chris
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Daikazetatsu is becoming a great contributor

Try Dashwire. It syncs almost everything to the web for free.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

erikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good workerikdrakon is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc3cuz View Post
Ok so yesterday i had to hard reset my phone. A couple months ago my girlfriend was having probs with her phone (palm treo) and called customer service and long story short she had to hard reset and before she hard reset they told her to goto file explorer and copy n paste the "pim" file from her device to her storage card so that she would not lose contacts, then once done she would copy n paste it back to her phone. So after i heard that i did the same for my TP2. After i hard reset, i pasted the "pim" bacj into my device and NOTHING NO CONTACTS. Anybody know of any way for me to get my contacts back?

Also No i didnot have any program to back up my contacts and No i do not have it backed up online...

PLEASE HELP?!?!
Before you get rid of the old pim file you have on your storage card , this is the way i have gotten my numbers back after copying the file to my sd card.

1. once your reset the phone the system will create it's own pim.vol file, rename it pim1.vol
2. then copy your old pim.vol file back into your phone in the same area as the pim1.vol that you renamed.
3. soft reset the phone, then check and see if your contacts have shown up. if so then you can delete pim1.vol

After that you should be all set, i would recommened using microsoft my phone to back up your contacts as well as the other programs advised in this thread i have my numbers backed up in 3 areas just to be safe.

Good Luck.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2