PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 06:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: None
Carrier: Sprint

quickstang is keeping up the good workquickstang is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This battery drain is just not worth keeping the phone

I did a soft reset on my phone, it showed 31% I had the screen on, looking at some settings, and 5min later it is at 24%

So I just lost 7% in 5min?

SMS Sent: 0
Calls Made: 0
Internet Used: 0
Programs running: 0

I was at work playing with a Hero and posting on here, and doing other things on the net, and the battery meter barely moved. I looked at my TP2 after about 5 or 6 SMS, and drain away it was.

Can this actually be a battery/phone problem?

Should I hard reset, load NOTHING, and then track the battery and see how it performs with nothing loaded?

I'm running out of ideas here. Thought it was a certain program, but it is not.

I don't have any type of Sprint plan on it, only the Square Trade warranty.

Oh, and I forgot to mention I even plugged the thing in at work today for like 10min.

I made a 5min phone call today. Sent about 15 text, and surfed the net a bit. Stopped, cause the battery was going down drastically.

Now i'm at 24% as I keep typing this. I have a battery program running and it shows 232ma and 3.691v

When I loaded that program it spiked to 307ma

It seems to go from 140ma or so to the 244ma range back and forth. Again, nothing is running besides that program so I can see what it is doing.

Do I have any options here, or am I screwed? As in do I have to get another type of phone? Some things I dont like about the Hero, but I can say i've been impressed by the battery life.

I COULD try another ROM with good battery life. I've even had poor life with 6.1 as well before I flashed to 6.5

So it is NOT just a 6.5 issue.

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

As of editing this now... 22% (5:53pm)
Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Us Cellular

nirvanafreak919 is a n00b
Re: This battery drain is just not worth keeping the phone

Thats interesting, i always thought the touch pro 2 had really good battery life,, ive never had a problem really. when the green light goes on after a charge is complete,, unplug and then replug the cord from phone, it will charge another 20ish minutes. I have noticed an improvement since i have done that.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

There are times that I have it plugged in all night long, and when I wake and take the cord out it is actually at like 97% It is rare for it to say 100%
Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work

I would hard reset and track the battery life. seems like a good way to know whether its a software issue or hardware.

Under 6.1, my battery would last from 6am to around 2pm-ish doing nothing. i had to bring the phone recharger to work everyday and recharge the phone.

winmo 6.5 seems to have improved that as I was able to go through a whole day without recharging the phone and the battery level at the end of the day was showing 50%.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I may have to try that. I have no other choice really. I may try to do some heavy calling, heavy texting, or nothing and see what happens.

I'll see what I get tomorrow since I wont be using it much. I'll just let it be dormant and look at the % at the end of the day.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
There are times that I have it plugged in all night long, and when I wake and take the cord out it is actually at like 97% It is rare for it to say 100%
Is anything using the internet in the background?

Are things like wifi, bluetooth and etc on?

is your lighting at max setting?

It is also possible battery is faulty...

And what ROM and Radio are you using? (Radio can also effect battery life)

Last of all I'd like to note that lithium batteries in general don't do well 30% and below..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro

marcopolo78 is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanafreak919
Thats interesting, i always thought the touch pro 2 had really good battery life,, ive never had a problem really. when the green light goes on after a charge is complete,, unplug and then replug the cord from phone, it will charge another 20ish minutes. I have noticed an improvement since i have done that.
I would try this too. I unplug and replug mine in every morning and it does a hell of a lot better than those days I forget to do it.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

jshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIPjshaas2 is a VIP

Yeah dude you have something wrong. I agree mostly with the posts in front of me.

i can run exchange connected all the time and do tons of text, browsing, calls and still easily get 12-14 hours on my battery.

since i'm unsure of your MODS, it could be your actual battery because for a large-screen WinMo phone, the TP2 is great.

Hard reset- zero mods, give it a few days and then see what happens before you decide what to do.

Radio: 2.35.00WF
Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

I am a firm believer that using a 1% battery driver will drain it faster simply because the device has to do more work to continually update the battery level. Also, what is your Poll Interval set at?

Check it here: HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\Battery\PollInterval

mine is 4e20 (been using that for like a year on juicy's recommendation)

If you are using a visual kitchen (or platformrebuilder, which is what EVK uses anyway) check your balance of modules vs files. The more modules you have the more memory will be used (since modules are ALWAYS in RAM) and therefor more cpu cycles will be wasted on them, thus draining more power. Another thing to sheck is startup entries, how much crap is running on top of all the potentially useless modules? get a task manager (dotfred's is good) and check how much memory is being used by the various system processes such as device.exe and gwes.exe.

If all that is too much information or you have no idea what I am talking about just ask your chef what his or her memory map looks like (what slots are filled with how many modules) I believe even with the 6.5 native kernel, even though we CAN have more modules, I don't think we SHOULD. I treat slot 60 as the new slot 0. Keep slot 0 as free as possible since those are the spots in memory that are higher up (faster access) and leave them reserved for the system processes. slot 60 comes next, I keep that clear too. I want to have the best memory management and the best battery life. And it really does show. the order of slots is 0, 1, 60, 61..
example. here's mine:
Code:
Memory Map...
 SLOT  0:   0x02000000 - 0x01be0000 (END: 0x00060000, 0 MODULES)
            0x02000000 - 0x01fe0000 - ROM 0
            0x01fa0000 - 0x01be0000 - ROM 1
 SLOT  1:   0x04000000 - 0x02022000 (END: 0x02020000, 272 MODULES)
 SLOT 60:   0x7a000000 - 0x7a000000 (END: 0x78020000, 0 MODULES)
 SLOT 61:   0x7c000000 - 0x7b610000 (END: 0x7a020000, 63 MODULES)

RAM IMAGE: 0x80000000 - 0x80294c70

RAM:       0x80295000 - 0x80365000 - Used for kernel modules
            0x80365000 - 0x84000000 - 60 MB free
hope it helps
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

slickjestap is just getting started

Thats wayy too much. I can go all day at work for 10 hours and not use it and its down to 80 percent sometimes in the 90's! It averages about 2 percent down per hour with minimal use. Sounds like you have Radio Rom power setting and back light issues possibly.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2