PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you always wait until an upgrade to buy a new phone?
yes, every two years 3 8.82%
yes, every year. 14 41.18%
no, buy a new phone retail price 4 11.76%
no, buy a new phone from another source (ex. ebay) 13 38.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: apache->samsung saga->omnia->TOUCH PRO2!!!!!!!
Carrier: Verizon

DJx79x is keeping up the good workDJx79x is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you always wait for an upgrade to buy a new phone? If not how do you get it?

I have had winmo phones for the past two years and throughout that time i have had four phones. the apache then the Samsung Saga, then the Omnia and finally the touch pro 2. i bought the apache and saga off of ebay but then bought the Omnia when i was on upgrade. i change phones fairly frequently (about every 8 months to a year) and most of them are non upgrade purchases. so i was bascially wondering how the poeple that upgrade everytime a new phone comes out do it?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Do you always wait for an upgrade to buy a new phone? If not how do you get it?

I occasionally use an upgrade (I used one for my TP2) but my 4 phones previous to that all came from ebay.

~John
Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Do you always wait for an upgrade to buy a new phone? If not how do you get it?

Definitely wouldn't pay retail, but ebay/craigslist isn't too bad. Got my TP2 last December for $225 from a local guy I found on Craigslist.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible & HTC Touch Pro 2

QMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuffQMeli907 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to QMeli907 Send a message via Yahoo to QMeli907

We have 5 phones on our account including my grandparents. They got their original phones like 4 years ago, and obviously they don't need the most updated phones, so they've had the same basic phones since they got them. I use their 2 plans as well as mine to upgrade whenever I want to basically. One of the contracts is usually up by the time I get tired of a phone or the newer better phones are out. Works out great haha

Don't click me
Old 03-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634

I steal the money and use that to buy it...

Ok not really. Occasionally my wife or myself has an upgrade, and since she keeps a phone for ages, I luck out there sometimes and pass my old phone off to her. Other times, I bite the bullet and pay full price... and it usually hurts to do that.

Forums and columns for all sports fans!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

jcable2 is keeping up the good workjcable2 is keeping up the good work

i used to buy from ebay but my last two phones was upgrades the touch and touch pro 2, i got the best price for the touch pro 2 through sprint for $199 with my walmart discount, no better deal on ebay
Old 03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I bought my Apache on ebay because sprint at the time was out of stock and then I accidently dropped it and broke the usb port..I opened it up..soldered it in and it worked..I was thinking of upgrading to a mogul before but had no reason to and this kinda gave me a reason...since the mogul was out already a bit less then a year but price never changed..so I just ebayed it as well cause it was cheaper. At one point the memory and heating issue from tethering was getting to me mostly during summer I had to fan it so I waited on TP2 and used my upgrade to get it.

As I figure upgrade is usually good when the phone is brand new...if it is already like half a year old you may have better luck on ebay even for a brand new in box.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

when i get a new phone i just pay the extra $50 for the 1 year contract. that way i can upgrade to a new phone within a year. the last 3-4 times/years verizon has offered me upgrades only after 9-or 10 months. so if a new phone comes out and i like it i just renew the contract and get the phone for the new contract price plus an additional Around $50 for the 1 year contract.
don't quote me on the $50 it is pretty close to it.
in some ways it is worth it, as long as you like to upgrade every year. it is worth it to me sometimes

i didnt do the 1 year contract this time cause i doubt i will upgrade in the next year, but if i really wanted to and i know that i won't spend the money on the full price without a contract. ill just add a line. i always had the inspirion or what ever the insurance name is to.

Last edited by Padron26; 03-25-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

on another verizon line i had a 2 year contract and verizon would offer a new phone at 19 months as long as i would renew the contract.
probably just there way of keeping you as a customer in caes you wanted to cancel or switch providers
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

htcguru6912 is a n00b

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was under contract. I consistently purchase my phones through alternative sources. Case in point: I purchased my TP on craigslist, then got Sprint to replace it under warranty for the TP2. I've had probably more phones than I can count and don't think I've had a contract in at least 8 years.
Smartphones/PPCs owned in this order: Blackberry 6710, Blackberry 6280, Kyocera 7135, Blackberry 7100, Palm Treo 650, HTC Excalibur, HTC p4350 (Herald), Blackberry 8310, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue, Blackberry 8830, HTC Elf, HTC Raphael, HTC Hero, HTC Rhodium

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2