PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Athex is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question those that have flashed to the new sprint 6.5 rom

1. I was wondering if the phone remains SIM unlocked?

2. Has anyone tried an overseas (Europe, Israel, really anywhere outside US sim card to see if it works after flashing)?

I am planning a trip overseas and just want to make sure I won't have issues using a prepaid sim card once there. Thanks a ton!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul --> HTC TP2

elcapitan154 is just getting started
Re: Question those that have flashed to the new sprint 6.5 rom

The phone remains SIM unlocked, which is actually the default with Sprint TP2s. However, the new ROM comes with a new radio (2.32.00WF) which blocks local GSM carriers. You'd have to flash a "WU" world-unlocked radio to use a T-Mobile of ATT SIM card locally in the US. Otherwise, any international SIM will work even with the new radio.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan154 View Post
The phone remains SIM unlocked, which is actually the default with Sprint TP2s. However, the new ROM comes with a new radio (2.32.00WF) which blocks local GSM carriers. You'd have to flash a "WU" world-unlocked radio to use a T-Mobile of ATT SIM card locally in the US. Otherwise, any international SIM will work even with the new radio.
A slight correction here. The TP2 comes SIM unlocked, but only for international use. To be able to use it in the US, you'll need to use the SIM unlocker in the TP2 upgrades thread.

That being said, once you SIM unlock the device, you'll also need to flash an unlocked radio. When you flash the new 6.5 ROM, it also has a new radio that is not SIM unlocked. You can go back into the TP2 upgrades forum and simply flash an unlocked radio again, all with no need to use the SIM unlocker again. Hope this helps.

Edit: I wasn't correcting your entire post, just the part about the TP2 defaulting as SIM unlocked in the US.

Forums and columns for all sports fans!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul --> HTC TP2

elcapitan154 is just getting started

That's what I thought I said. But thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan154 View Post
That's what I thought I said. But thanks for the clarification.
I'll be honest, it took me awhile to understand the whole SIM unlock thing.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Athex is a n00b

Thanks for the info! So just to clarify, if I flash to the new sprint 6.5 rom I should be able to use international SIM cards by default?

If I want to use US sim cards I would need to unlock (basically the new rom has the same default functionality as the original 6.1 rom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by land2634 View Post
A slight correction here. The TP2 comes SIM unlocked, but only for international use. To be able to use it in the US, you'll need to use the SIM unlocker in the TP2 upgrades thread.

That being said, once you SIM unlock the device, you'll also need to flash an unlocked radio. When you flash the new 6.5 ROM, it also has a new radio that is not SIM unlocked. You can go back into the TP2 upgrades forum and simply flash an unlocked radio again, all with no need to use the SIM unlocker again. Hope this helps.

Edit: I wasn't correcting your entire post, just the part about the TP2 defaulting as SIM unlocked in the US.

Last edited by Athex; 03-25-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athex View Post
Thanks for the info! So just to clarify, if I flash to the new sprint 6.5 rom I should be able to use international SIM cards by default.

If I want to use US sim cards I would need to unlock (basically the new rom has the same default functionality as the original 6.1 rom).
Correct. Welcome to the world of 6.5!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Athex is a n00b

Thanks for the fast responses guys!!

Quote:

Quote:
Correct. Welcome to the world of 6.5!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

kb112 is a n00b

Thanks for clearing that up fellas. Glad I searched before posting a similar question.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx

rddt is a n00b

More questions about the update - this will help me decide betw/ Touch Pro 2 & Treo Pro:

Contact Groups:
I have a million contacts to manage and the single most compelling feature about WinMo 6.5 for me is the ability to use Contact Groups. Is this new feature well integrated into the People/Contacts interface of SenseUI/TouchFlo3D?
If it is not, is there some other free & recommended 3rd party program that will let me group contacts for SMS or Email?

Search/Copy+Paste:
Likewise for searching info within contacts in order to add them into groups - has Search been improved in 6.5 and is it better integrated into SenseUI/TouchFlo3D?
And within a contact card, though the new HTC interface looks nice, I can't find a way to copy/paste the information there - I use this feature all the time to txt a contact's phone or address to another person - what's the best way to grab and send that info in SenseUI/TouchFlo3D?

Facebook:
Another compelling feature of SenseUI/TouchFlo3D is the linkage of a Contact with a corresponding Facebook profile. I REALLY WANT THIS FEATURE. However, pre-upgrade this feature is a major disappointment - all it can do is add a photo and birthday, and in fact I tested it and the birthday part is broken. It has an Updates & Events section within the contact card, but Facebook info (which info I wonder?) does not update there at all. All it can do is update the photo. LAME! It should pull phone & email from Facebook, and current status too!
Has this been fixed in the 6.5 update? If not, is there some other free & recommended 3rd party program that will let me integrate like this?

Calendar/Contact Syncing:
What is the best way to do this? Ideally wirelessly with Gmail & Facebook, rather than having to plug it in and sync with Outlook via the USB cable.

Voicemail:
Is there any way to restore those Voice Mail Buttons (on the Treo 700wx it was under Today->Speed Dial Options->Voicemail->Menu->Edit->Advanced)? That feature makes flying through VM so much faster! Maybe it comes with a package (if it exists) to restore Picture Speed Dial?

Keyboard & Word Completion:
Damn I really miss the Treo700wx keyboard - Treo Pro is slightly too small & TP2 is slightly too large for my hands. The Treo Pro has excellent word completion however (configurable under Setting->Input->Word Completion), this really enables me to type faster on the Pro. The TP2 does NOT have this feature though! Also slowing me down on the TP2, or rather missing from the SenseUI/TouchFlo3D interface is the lack of 1-Letter Shortcuts to jump to commonly used program names or items in long menus.
Is there any free & recommended 3rd party program that will provide word completion or 1-Letter Shortcuts on the TP2? Maybe there is an updated virtual keyboard for SenseUI/TouchFlo3D that features this?

From all these feature requests you can guess - I'd jump to WebOS or Android or even iPhone in a heartbeat, if I wasn't so attached to SERO on Sprint

Any further advice and links to the appropriate ROMs or CABS would be very much appreciated!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2