PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

turin39789 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pandora on 6.5?

I don't suppose 6.5 made this easier for us did it?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
jcjr81

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Pandora on 6.5?

Not that I noticed. It's a shame really.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Huh?
Pandora works fine. The bitrate is low, but that's how the WM client always streams (lazy developers didn't want to recode to use AAC like the Android, Pre and iPhone versions). Other than the bitrate, cabbed versions to fit WVGA (complete with a fix to prevent the songs from being cut out in the middle) have been floating around the forum for months. The version of WM is irrelevant.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work

I just use slacker radio, its not as glitchy as pandora and on the plus side you get to specify what genre of music you want to listen to and stick with it.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Htc EVO 3D™

kaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on repkaos is halfway to VIP status based on rep

pandora works fine what the issue? i've been using it since tp2 came out with 6.1 custom 6.5 and now stock 6.5

Phone:
Sprint EVO 3D Rom:Kaos Hybrid 4.20 V8 Radio: 0.97 Storage Card: Micro 32GB SDHC

Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
jcjr81

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I'm assuming that the op was wondering if the program worked any better or looked any better on 6.5.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

turin39789 is a n00b

I'd had trouble getting it to work on 6.1 before, got it going now with the latest instructions.

Still dissapointed in the audio quality and the fit and finish, lag between songs, tiny menus, thumbs up/down cut off at the bottom of the screen

Suppose I was hoping we might someday get an official Pandora client
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin39789 View Post
I'd had trouble getting it to work on 6.1 before, got it going now with the latest instructions.

Still dissapointed in the audio quality and the fit and finish, lag between songs, tiny menus, thumbs up/down cut off at the bottom of the screen

Suppose I was hoping we might someday get an official Pandora client
They officially denounced Windows Mobile as a dead platform during an email correspondence with my press contacts. They are gung-ho about Windows Phone 7 (in fact, a Pandora app was shown at the press release), but ended support for the classic WinMo we know (and love) with the vogue version we have now.

Yes, the fonts and menus are tiny, but that is because they were designed for less than 1/4 of the screen resolution we have. Also, the app uses mp3 encoding to stream instead of the far-superior-at-lower-bitrate AAC. That's why the sound is lower fidelity. AAC uses more CPU power and mp3 was easier to develop for at the time. If they were to re-write the app now, it would look/sound better, but this is how it looked/sounded then. And so it shall remain, unless we switch to another OS. Sorry to be the downer.

Last edited by dishe; 03-23-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
pandora works fine what the issue? i've been using it since tp2 came out with 6.1 custom 6.5 and now stock 6.5
Pandora doesn't work fine for winmo. the sound quality is horrible compared to any other device plus the buttons aren't made for winmo 6.1 or 6.5. That is why the buttons look like that. all we do on here is work arounds to make the buttons work but nobody has a work around for the horrible sound quality.
Google is the next skynet
Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Pandora doesn't work fine for winmo. the sound quality is horrible compared to any other device plus the buttons aren't made for winmo 6.1 or 6.5. That is why the buttons look like that. all we do on here is work arounds to make the buttons work but nobody has a work around for the horrible sound quality.
Do you remember when Pandora first came out for the Vogue? The sound quality didn't change, however our expectations for streaming audio have. There is nothing "broken" about it, that's just what low-bitrate streaming mp3 sounds like. Find a shoutcast station with the same bitrate and codec, you'll notice the same effect.

Second of all, the buttons are fine in WinMo. The problem however, is that they were designed for QVGA.
I've got a Vogue (QVGA display) around here still, flashed to 6.5. Last I tried Pandora, the buttons looked fine if I recall correctly. And the sound was still the same as its always been.

There is no "workaround" for the sound, since that is how the app was designed to work. Remember, WinMo got it first. At the time, low bandwidth mp3 was acceptable. The other devices sound better because they came out later, and are using the newer and superior AAC codecs instead of mp3. We can scale and resize the graphics to work with our much larger screens (albeit being cut off a little), etc, but the sound delivery system was designed by Pandora to work like this and we don't access to a way to change that.

In a nutshell, its not "broken". I say it works fine because this is, in fact, how it was designed to work.
Yes, it severely needs an update for AAC and higher resolution. But they won't do it. They're busy pushing the WinPhone 7 version, and consider 6.x dead.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2